Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made AR

I ran across this today:

http : // aresarmor (dot) com/store/Category/hmg (The forum will not let me post links yet - sorry)

This sounds too good to be true, therefore maybe it is. For those of you that do not choose to waste the time following the link, it is a site that sells lower receivers for an AR-15 that are 80% complete. They also sell the jigs to finish the machining "using only a drill press". Oh yeah, because the lower is incomplete it does not have a serial number yet.

Do any of you have any experience with this company and/or similar companies that offer lowers for you to finish the machining? Is it really as simple as the site makes it sound?

I do have an "industrial strength" drill press (for woodworking), but not a mill. I.E. I cannot get within a 1/1,000 of an inch tolerance with the tools I have now. Does this seem like something that is worth taking a $200 "flyer" on to see if it works?

Thanks!

Let me let you down easy the answer is NO. The tolerance is a lot more then 1.1000 on some parts it is closer to 1:10000 or more. Unless you have a modern steel working mill, metal press, Auto guided drill press. etc. you cannot do it. The cost is well over 2 million for the machines alone then you will need the bar stock of specific steel and alloys to do the job. All for a weapon that will cost you about $650.00 brand new.

If you get a chance go to one of the gun manufactures and take a tour of their plants. I did acting as a adult guide for my kids class to a Remington factory, and I was very surprise on the quality control they were doing.

Comment

All I have is a mechanical drill press (can use drill bits and up to 3/8" mill bits). Used with an X-Y mill bed attachment (from Grizzly tool) I have had no trouble with production in the past. Recommend the jig for unexperienced machinist. Makes it an expensive proposition for only one lower.
      Wrote a similar thread several months ago.

Dale
      Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

Also the $200 sounds high. They are selling the 80% lowers around here for way less than half of that.

Will
        CITIZEN by BIRTH
        AMERICAN by CHOICE
        NRA PATRON MEMBER by NECESSITY

Comment

Originally posted by wac220 View Post
          Also the $200 sounds high. They are selling the 80% lowers around here for way less than half of that.

Will
          I was including the cost of the jig as well. Have you tried finishing an 80% lower?

Thanks!

-M-

Comment

Originally posted by mharley View Post
            I was including the cost of the jig as well. Have you tried finishing an 80% lower?

Thanks!

-M-
            I have not finished one, My brother has finished a couple of AK's, (completely different process). One of the guys at work has been talking about some of the AR's, but I do not know anyone has completed one yet.

Will
            CITIZEN by BIRTH
            AMERICAN by CHOICE
            NRA PATRON MEMBER by NECESSITY

Comment

the tricky part is not the pin holes, as you might think. it's boring out and threading the rear of the lower for the buffer and it's spring. Get that crooked, and you either have a manually oprerated centerfire or a .22lr autoloader.

Comment

Anybody have a good line on the parts kits to complete one the best I can find are around $500 and are 8-10 months out on shipping them to me ?
                Robert W
                Democracy Will Cease To Exist When You Take Away From Those Who Are Willing To Work And Give to Those Who Are Not.-Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by countryboy6685 View Post
                  Anybody have a good line on the parts kits to complete one the best I can find are around $500 and are 8-10 months out on shipping them to me ?
                  Robert W
                  What are you SPECIFICALLY wanting???

Dale
                  Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

Originally posted by dalewick View Post

Dale
                    I am wanting everything except the lower receiver . I have gotten 2 of the lower receivers and have completed them just need the rest of the parts . A lot of company’s sell the parts kits but all so far are out of stock for 8-10 months .
                    Robert W
                    Democracy Will Cease To Exist When You Take Away From Those Who Are Willing To Work And Give to Those Who Are Not.-Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Dale
                      I am wanting everything except the lower receiver . I have gotten 2 of the lower receivers and have completed them just need the rest of the parts . A lot of company’s sell the parts kits but all so far are out of stock for 8-10 months .
                      Robert W

Comment

Robert W
                        My bad, what I meant by specifically is like a 16, 18 or 20 inch barrel. A2 or A3 upper, standard or free float handguard, etc.???

Dale

Comment

My bad, what I meant by specifically is like a 16, 18 or 20 inch barrel. A2 or A3 upper, standard or free float handguard, etc.???

Dale
                          I was hoping for a 5.56 , 14-16 barrel A2 OA3 would be fine . I would even consider a 7.63 x39 kit if I could get it in the near future instead of waiting so long .
                          Robert W

Comment

I was hoping for a 5.56 , 14-16 barrel A2 OA3 would be fine . I would even consider a 7.63 x39 kit if I could get it in the near future instead of waiting so long .
                            Robert W
                            countryboy,

Have you tried Palmetto state armory http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...te-uppers.html, the have a number of complete uppers at decent prices and then you can purchase the lower/stock materials separately. Might want to avoid a 14" barrel unless your building a pistol or have a SBR Class III stamp. AR15-kits.com may have some also.

Dale

Comment

Thanks I just found that site today and am thinking about ordering tonight a upper kit and lower kit
                              thanks Robert W

Comment

Working...
                              X