Question about AR 15 Bolt Carrier's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about AR 15 Bolt Carrier's

I just traded for a PWA Commando AR 15. I believe the Bolt Carrier may be for an auto vs semi.

I have two questions;

1. How do I tell the difference?

2. Is it legal to posess a full auto bolt carrier as long as the lower has only semi auto parts and is in no way prepped for full auto?

:confused:

It's been awhile since I handled or read up on full auto firearms but...

1. I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a difference.

2. Individual parts don't matter as long as they can't be assembled together to make a full auto firearm.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Comment

There is a difference between them on the bottom side. The M16 has a surface for interfacing with the upper sear trip.
      Distinguished Rifleman High Power , Distinguished Rifleman Smallbore Prone, Presidents Hundred (Rifle), Palma Teams Member (2), Dewar Teams Member (2), Member 4 Man National Championship Smallbore AnySight Team, Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Proving Ground , Eagle Scout, AC4HT, NRA Benefactor Member, Firefighter I, Shriner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Big Guy View Post
        I just traded for a PWA Commando AR 15. I believe the Bolt Carrier may be for an auto vs semi.

I have two questions;

1. How do I tell the difference?

2. Is it legal to posess a full auto bolt carrier as long as the lower has only semi auto parts and is in no way prepped for full auto?

:confused:
        there is a diffrence but yor ok from a legal stand point but why buy that parts kit?

Comment

Originally posted by seal4life View Post
          there is a diffrence but yor ok from a legal stand point but why buy that parts kit?
          I didnt buy the kit, I traded for the whole weapon. I had a Rock Island 1911 that I gave almost nothing for this guy wanted it for EDC so I got this AR in trade.

Comment

That's a nice trade.
            "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
            -Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by coxmw View Post
              That's a nice trade.
              Yea, I couldnt turn that one down.

He said he had too many AR's so I was kind enough to help him with his problem. :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Hummer View Post
                There is a difference between them on the bottom side. The M16 has a surface for interfacing with the upper sear trip.
                Dang, I knew that! It's been way to long since I had a chance to mess with a full auto black rifle...Big Guy, you made out like a bandit with that trade!
                Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Comment

Originally posted by Hummer View Post
                  This is what cought my eye, I noticed that the firing pin was quite a bit more exposed and it is ramped differently than my other AR. I just wasnt sure if it was for a full auto or if I could legally have it. Thanks for all the information.

Comment

ouch....dated, but still relevant.

Yes it's legal for anyone to own and use the full auto bolt carrier.

Primary differences are with the shroud and thickness. The full auto BCG will be thicker to handle the increased pounding and the shrouded area will be larger (ie, more will be protected). If you look on the underside of the BCG you will see the differences in the amount of area that is exposed; the semi auto BCG will have a longer cut out section on the underside. Take a look at this site and you will have good examples to compare http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15...-Parts-s/2.htm. Btw, BCM is one of my favorite go-to sites.
                    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Thanks you for the info.

I have since traded the PWA to a guy that aparantly wanted it REAL BAD. :)

Lets just say I turned it into cash, a bunch of magazines, an assault vest, and super nice scope which I turned into a like new 870 shotgun.

I think I'm going to keep bartering, it's fun, and I getting pretty good at it.

Comment

Working...
                      X