Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

alternating 5.56 ammo in one mag

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • alternating 5.56 ammo in one mag

    Just a note: If your going to crap on the 5.56 keep on moveing otherwise all advise is welcome.

    Ok for my shtf weapon ive chosen the ar 15 with a setup that works for me, But ive decided to try and test alternating ammo with 5.56 green tip with honady tap 5.56 bthp inside one mag. That way you get piercing affect and the more damaging affect of the hollow point. What do you think. yes i i know it will have diffrent accuracy but this is for close range 200 yards less. Anything further yet is .308 rifle and scope
    Honey its just the cats, Put that @#$%ing thing away!

  • #2
    Looks good on paper. I agree it would give you versatility. I have heard of alternating slugs and buckshot in a shotgun. Same concept.
    SQUARE PEG IN A ROUND HOLE

    Comment


    • #3
      I think its a good idea. In my home defense shotgun I keep a slug up front and follow it up with 00 buckshot so that I get a real accurate 1st shot and then if I have to I can create a hell-storm of shot to cover an area if a threat were to be that serious. I believe in most current situations I'll probably never have to fire a second round, but if I do I want to be able to create good coverage so that I don't have to be a crack shot in a situation that's gone that out of control. The military does this as well in certain scenarios, with tracers being put like every 3rd round so that when you have to pull the trigger rapidly you can see where they are going without having to take the time to aim so much. Having different mags loaded up with rounds that are more ideal for different scenarios is a good way to keep the upper hand and be versatile. Close up the HP's are going to cause a lot more damage, allowing you to use less rounds and therefore can cover more targets effectively and put them down faster. Adding in a sharp or a boat-tail every few rounds for vehicle penetration or longer range accuracy is real smart. When you do this, be consistent and train to count your rounds so it becomes second nature and then you'll always know which round is coming up next.

      Comment


      • #4
        My .02 worth....

        I do not mix match rounds in a single magazine, with the exception of occasionally loading a tracer or two first so that I would have a visual warning of impending magazinius emptyus.
        This happens only on mags that I keep loaded and on hand for social work.

        I do have certain magazines loaded and marked with different ammunition though.
        My AP rounds are loaded in mags with green markings (got a lot of these rounds)
        My 69gr hollow points are loaded in mags with red markings (got a lot of these too)
        and My heavier 75gr hollow points in mags with blue markings (not so many of these)

        My 55gr mags are not marked and are primarily used for range duty, and fun.

        My theory is that I don't want to send a 55gr ball, when I needed to send an AP round, or needed the extra energy of the 75gr hollow point, just because it's next in line.
        My 69gr Hollow points are my primary round and are a healthy compromise between all of my ammuntion.
        Of course the AR haters will always say get a .308 so you don't have to worry about all of this... They're probably right.:D.... But I do love the platform

        For home defense, I'll grab the 12 gauge and it's going to deliver Federal 00 buck no matter what the scenario.

        It's all a matter of personal preference
        The 12ga.... It's not just for rabbits anymore.

        Comment


        • #5
          I suggest #7 shot may be better in home defense if indoors due to less overpenetrattion. Consider side saddle with slugs put in in one ddirection and 00 buck (or other) inserted in alternate direction. Leave one empty in magazine to top up with slug if needed. The use of tracers allows the enemy to see where you are.
          Originally posted by MasterMynd View Post
          I think its a good idea. In my home defense shotgun I keep a slug up front and follow it up with 00 buckshot so that I get a real accurate 1st shot and then if I have to I can create a hell-storm of shot to cover an area if a threat were to be that serious. I believe in most current situations I'll probably never have to fire a second round, but if I do I want to be able to create good coverage so that I don't have to be a crack shot in a situation that's gone that out of control. The military does this as well in certain scenarios, with tracers being put like every 3rd round so that when you have to pull the trigger rapidly you can see where they are going without having to take the time to aim so much. Having different mags loaded up with rounds that are more ideal for different scenarios is a good way to keep the upper hand and be versatile. Close up the HP's are going to cause a lot more damage, allowing you to use less rounds and therefore can cover more targets effectively and put them down faster. Adding in a sharp or a boat-tail every few rounds for vehicle penetration or longer range accuracy is real smart. When you do this, be consistent and train to count your rounds so it becomes second nature and then you'll always know which round is coming up next.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by legend View Post
            I suggest #7 shot may be better in home defense if indoors due to less overpenetrattion. Consider side saddle with slugs put in in one ddirection and 00 buck (or other) inserted in alternate direction. Leave one empty in magazine to top up with slug if needed. The use of tracers allows the enemy to see where you are.

            I see what you are saying, and very much understand the concerns of over penetration. My take on home defense is as follows: If a 12GA load will not penetrated a few sheets of drywall and some insulation, it will not have the desired penetration, that I want, to stop someone trying to hurt or kill my family.

            I want the intruder stopped with a high probability of needing no followups. The FBI recommends nothing smaller than #4 buck as a "tactical" load. I choose 00 mainly because, there is no question of it's stopping power, and it can be had in Federal low recoil with Flight Control. Which, in my opinion is the most awesome 12GA round ever developed. Heres a group at 15 yards (average max inside house distance) on a 8.5x11 sheet of printer paper. All nine and the wad accounted for. (the four on the board at the top were from a previous test of Centurion short shells)


            As always, I'm not trying to tell anyone how to run their guns or defense, but for me collateral damage is second to my family's safety.

            Here are some 12ga ballistics tests : http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...p?f=7&t=109958

            As for tracers... I only use them on a "First in, Last out" basis, and then only if I was in a "combat" situation. When the tracers leave, I've already sent 28 down range. They'll already know where I am.
            Last edited by slowz1k; 08-27-2010, 09:33 AM.
            The 12ga.... It's not just for rabbits anymore.

            Comment


            • #7
              I know this is an AR thread, and I love them, but for my 12G, because of the over penetration factor(I have a 4 year old), my first 2 shots are rubber pellets, next is 00 and finally slug. And I know people will say the rubber will just piss an intruder off, but it will slow them down enough to get the .357 mag out of my belt.

              As for AR, I don't alternate ammo, but do keep plenty of green tip loaded in ammo cans with a few more cans of strippers. I figure if I need more stopping power a .45/70 is a decent close range backup.
              I really am starting to prefer my AR-57. The 50 rd mags are nice along with the balistics that will put the rounds through just about anything.
              He who lives with the most toys, wins.

              Comment


              • #8
                I would like to see the results on a 50 yard target firing alternating ammo. That would be the ultimate answer to your question. If I had time I would do it myself. If you do test it on paper please post your results. I am interested to see what it does. Common sense is that you would have a variance in height between rounds but there may be more to it due to differences in recoil and your reaction to what round you are expecting etc.
                Originally posted by neverknow View Post
                Just a note: If your going to crap on the 5.56 keep on moveing otherwise all advise is welcome.

                Ok for my shtf weapon ive chosen the ar 15 with a setup that works for me, But ive decided to try and test alternating ammo with 5.56 green tip with honady tap 5.56 bthp inside one mag. That way you get piercing affect and the more damaging affect of the hollow point. What do you think. yes i i know it will have diffrent accuracy but this is for close range 200 yards less. Anything further yet is .308 rifle and scope
                SQUARE PEG IN A ROUND HOLE

                Comment


                • #9
                  Using the ar on targets less than 100 yds. i wouldn't really think there would be much of a difference in accuracy. It would start the further you get out. As far as you shotgun lovers using slugs and buckshot, why not get the rds. they offer on cheaper than dirt and sportsman guide which is slug and buckshot mixed. I think that would make a bunch of yal happy. It would give you one slug and 4 or 5 buck shots. I think that would be the ultimate compromise instead of alternating rds. in gun.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I say just train to count so you know what you are sending down range.train train train!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I used to load 55grn SP/FMJ but whats the point? my rifles have been massaged alot but FMJ always feeds smoother in a mag fed firearm. Neither sp or FMJ will penetrate BA or a windshield but if either hits the tissue of a non-drugged perp the shock of impact will sit him down and he'll go into shock when he gets hit again.
                      My firearms lock open after the last shot and somehow I have figgured out that that is the best time to replace the magazine, even more amazing, I can do it in the dark.
                      The road to serfdom is paved with free electric golf carts.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        aight all theswe are good points and opinions i agree on the alternating ammo for two reasons with the ar 1 penetration 2 keeps the shooter on his toes and not in a cofortable range i am going to start a shotgun ammo thread lets see where it goes this time
                        the pack that plays together stays together

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Shotgun: mixed turkey loads, I think #4&6 in the same shell, may be larger but that's what I use.

                          AR15 - I have 2 carriers of 10 mags (2x5 each). The first 8 mags of each are 24 rounds fmj then 2 tracers, then 3 remaining rounds HP. Ok, loaded 1 short but... Last 2 are loaded 4 Ss109 then 1 tracer (repeat till full) to make sure I know what I'm shooting. I also put stick-on felt pads to the bottom of the ss109 mags In case I am in the dark. I have my ammo cans with SS109 on stripper clips.

                          Note: I have 2 carriers per AR, and misc mags. My 30's are all brownelles mags with no tilt followers. I have a box of works ok, then a few misc target only mags I don't trust for anything else but I can't throw anything away. All the brownelles work perfect.
                          Last edited by SyLord; 04-06-2011, 07:12 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Sounds like an interesting concept. We just might try this on our next trip to the range. I would say that what ever you choose to do, like kentuckyshiner85 says, "train train train." Stay consistent once you find something you like to avoid confusion.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Why not use one the the home defense round for 12 ga shotguns. you then have a slug at 225 gr and between 3 and 6 00 buck in front so the shot will spread. The slug moves at 1350 fps and has a lot of energy behind it. It is able to breach most "Bullet proof vests" with secondary damage to legs and arms with 00 buck. Both Federal and Winchester make such a round but the cost is up there.

                              With any change in rounds you need practice with said round on a range. To go into a gun fight with ammo you do not have knowledge about, is just plain stupid!

                              You also can reload such a round at home to make it usable for your usage. IE: No. 7, about 1/2 oz and 6 00 buck mixed in the same round will make a round that spreads out at 35 yards but still have the 00 traveling flat and true.

                              Just an idea I have kicked around from time to time.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X