Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you want a subsonic rifle that won't break your budget?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you want a subsonic rifle that won't break your budget?

If you are a very experienced reloader and you foresee the need for firepower in a low noise signature weapon it may be for you. Is the Blackout your only option? No, here's why.

There was a Special at Midway about five years back where they sold you the dies and the bullet mold to load your own. I had considered making one up and I have the tooling to make the cases but it is a labor intensive application just to make the cases.

This begs the question if you knew that why did you buy them? I wanted the bullet mold as the same cast bullets can be loaded into 30.06, 308, 300 Savage, 303 British.

For a round to be subsonic it must be launched below 1100 fps to insure a low noise signature. I live in a rural area and there is shooting around me all the time which ranks up there with birds singing to me but in a SHTF situation do you want to broadcast for three to five miles around that you are in play?

http://www.guns.connect.fi/gow/QA.html

Before we get too deep here I would suggest everyone go to this website. It is a dead website originating in Finland. The owner is dead, you cannot post on it nor ask questions but there is a ton of great information.

If you have the ability and the equipment I highly recommend you download the entire website, pics and all because if some do gooder in Finland decides you don't need this info, it is gone. Once you get it downloaded (preferrable) or open (better than nothing) scroll around till you find Cat Sneeze loads and read everything on them.

The cheapest way to get into a weapon that is no louder than a 22LR that is effective is to get the bullet mold for the Blackout, cast the bullets(230 gr) and load them with a reduced load into an existing 30 cal rifle.

Think of it this way, for the money you are going to drop on a 300 Blackout, you can just about buy two new bolt rifles than can be loaded with cat sneeze loads good to say 200 yards or a round good to 1000 yards with a full performance loading.

About 150 yards is the max ranges these low noise signature rounds fly because the bullet drop really gets up there quick and the more the bullet drops the closer you have to know the exact range you are shooting at.

Lets say you load a Blackout with a 220 gr jacketed bullet, lets take a look at what you will have.

220 Gr loaded to 1100 fps, rifled zeroed at 100 yards
    Range ------ Velocity FPS ----- Bullet Path
    100 Yds ------- 1054 ------------ -0-
    200 Yds ------- 1015 ------------ 29.76"
    300 Yds ------- 982 ------------ 93.21"
    400 Yds ------- 953 --------- --- 142.68"
    500 Yds ------- 928 ------------- 330.48"
    600 Yds ------- 902 ------------- 508"

Per my conversation with Col Fackler MD of the Army Wound Ballistics lab a 220 gr bullet traveling at 800 feet per second will deliver a through and through to a 300 lb target.

Hummers Law:

Big bullets make big holes. Even bigger bullets make bigger holes etc
    Big holes leak faster than small holes.
    Two big holes leak twice as fast as one big hole.
    Well before the leaks stop the target has expired.
    Last edited by Hummer; 03-11-2016, 10:33 AM.
    Distinguished Rifleman High Power , Distinguished Rifleman Smallbore Prone, Presidents Hundred (Rifle), Palma Teams Member (2), Dewar Teams Member (2), Member 4 Man National Championship Smallbore AnySight Team, Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Proving Ground , Eagle Scout, AC4HT, NRA Benefactor Member, Firefighter I, Shriner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any rifle or pistol can become a subsonic shooter. As you stated the key is the ammo. Shape and weight of the round, and the amount of power used.

Many manufactures now produce subsonic ammo for specific sizes, and weapons.

Many shooters go ahead and purchase a silencers. It cost now is $250-$300 and about 6 months wait time. It helps for large animals hunts like moose, brown bear, elk, etc.

Comment

The 300 Blackout was designed to give man stopping close range power and cycle a AR15 action, something subsonic 5.56 won't do....a Ruger American rifle in 300 comes with a threaded 16.5 inch barrel and does not cost as much as two other bolt action rifles.....I own Class 3 items and have yet to see any $250-$300 Suppressor.....any decent 30 caliber Suppressor is twice that much and that is a cheap one....my last wait time for a 10.5 AR15 SBR was four months...

Comment

Built mine for under $500 (Not counting suppressor or optics) and I love it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0556.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	188243

Have changed optics to a scope with a 300BLK built in BDC for supersonic and subsonic ammo. Turkey season opens in 12 days. :)

Dale
        Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

So what you are saying with the law is: The bigger bang is always better then small multi shoots.

Comment

Originally posted by whinot
            subsonic 223 AR comes automatically with the $200, 30 rd box mag Ciener .22lr conversion unit. Simply buy the Aquila 60 gr subsonic 22 ammo, which is loaded into .22 Short cases. 950 fps, it has the same power as normal 36 gr .22lr supersonic ammo, but without the sonic crack thru a silencer. So it can brain cattle and horses, with shots to temple, eyeball, earhole and the like, to 20 yds or so, and brain deer to 50 yds, if you have a braced firing position, like from a baited tree stand, with a folding blind around you.
            Don't know where your getting your info, but it's not wise to use a 223/5.56mm suppressor with 22 long rifle or any 22 rimfire ammunition. Rimfires deposit lead in the suppressor with every shot and most 223 caliber suppressors are sealed units that will have to be sent back to the manufacturer to have the lead cleaned out. That is not covered by manufacturers warranties and would be expensive. It is recommended to use a rimfire type suppressor as they are built to be opened for home maintenance.

Dale
            Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

Originally posted by whinot
              dont know where you're getting your info, but 100's of thousands of us do it, no problem. It is a good idea to fire a couple of 223's thru 'the gun for every 200 rds of .22lr Since the can makes the 223 handle and sound just like the .22 unit without the can, just remove the can for .22 practice. no need of the subsonic 22's for practice. Just know your clicks to rezero the sights. Or leave them zeroed with the duty amm and just accept the slight diff in POI with the practice ammo. for speed works, being 2" off at 50 yds is irrelevant. Have you ever even shot a .22 AR unit, much less owned one? What you are spreading is a lie.
              And, what your spreading is bullshit! Another troll roaming the forum.

Dale

Comment

I already have quite a lot of 165gr BTHP sierra in stock, what would be a good sub sonic load for my 30-06? And again for my .308?

I'm new to reloading so I'm always hungry for advise from experienced reloaders.

Thanks

Comment

Thanks for the information Hummer.

Dale, where'd ya get the sweater, I like it.

O.W.
                  Things are seldom what they seem.

Comment

Originally posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
                    Thanks for the information Hummer.

Dale, where'd ya get the sweater, I like it.

O.W.
                    O.W., LOL! Christmas gift from the wife. I'm lucky that the family dresses me. :) Otherwise I would probably always be in blue jeans or fatigues.

Dale

Comment

Hehehe.

Dale, a lady friend of mine recently remarked "what's wrong with you, you can't go out dressed like that!"

But we did ... heheheh.

O.W.
                      Things are seldom what they seem.

Comment

My buddy is interested in such a rifle and wanted to know what kind of useful range it would have so I worked below up off the Sierra Program using 220 Gr Matchking BT:

1100 FPS

Zeroed for POA/POI at 150 yards.

Bullet will impact:

6.61" high at 50

7.21" high at 100

POA/POI at 150

6.63" LOW at 175

15.34" LOW at 200.

Thus you have a point blank range of up to 175 yards before things get dicey. Hope this clears things up for how effective it could be.
                        Last edited by Hummer; 06-02-2016, 11:05 AM.
                        Distinguished Rifleman High Power , Distinguished Rifleman Smallbore Prone, Presidents Hundred (Rifle), Palma Teams Member (2), Dewar Teams Member (2), Member 4 Man National Championship Smallbore AnySight Team, Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Proving Ground , Eagle Scout, AC4HT, NRA Benefactor Member, Firefighter I, Shriner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                        X