No announcement yet.

.300 Blackout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree. 5.56 works. .06 works much better! My only gripe, is the combat weight of the heavier rounds. NOT that there is a chance I will ever carry a full combat load again....ever. BUT, it does warrant in a SHTF situation when you are on the run. Six magazines of M4 ammo was hard enough, I can't imagine carrying 6+ M14 magazines and being half way mobile!

-Buggy
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
    -Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Another way to think about it is in a survival situation the more you shoot the more folks will know where you are and figure you have something to come get. Kind of like escape and evasion tactics be heard and be found. I want to be able to hunt and not have to worry about fighting to keep it.

I heard a sniper story about crossing the Rhine going into Germany and they were building a pontoon bridge and there was sporadic shooting all around and one of the pontoon bridge guys drops off in the water. They all stop and went to shore and hid for 30 minutes. No more shots came in. Went back to work and second guy drops in Rhine. They go back, hide, rake every hiding place in sight with MGs across the river and wait a couple hours. No more shots come in.
      Finally they go back to work and third guy drops in Rhine. By this time nobody in that entire pontoon company was interested in putting up a bridge.

They called in smoke and put a full company across river up and down stream and they swept the entire far bank till they met up. Never found a trace of him but the bridge went no where for 8 hours.
      Last edited by Hummer; 10-22-2017, 08:02 PM.
      Distinguished Rifleman High Power , Distinguished Rifleman Smallbore Prone, Presidents Hundred (Rifle), Palma Teams Member (2), Dewar Teams Member (2), Member 4 Man National Championship Smallbore AnySight Team, Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Proving Ground , Eagle Scout, AC4HT, NRA Benefactor Member, Firefighter I, Shriner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Hummer View Post
        ...third is 6.5X06
        Hummer,
        I'm not familiar with that round, is that the creedmoor? Grendel? or is it the Swedish? Are their semi auto platforms cambered in it or is that more of a bolt cartridge? Also, I seem to see over the last few years lots of buzz on the 6.8spc; any experience, thoughts or suggestions around it?
        I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

It is just as it sounds, you run a 30.06 case into a 270 die with no decapper. Then run the case into a 6.5X06 die. I have a custom reamer made up that restricts the case from expanding over .002" anywhere on the case when fired.

I have a smaller neck dimension so when case is sized all the way down to 6.5 I turn the outside of the necks to insure they are all the same thickness.

With 142 grain Sierra matchking bullet it comes out at 3015 fps.

It gives same velocity as 6.5X284 but the 30.06 brass is about 1/4th the cost of 6.5X284 brass. Very flat shooting bullet. I load it with Reloader 17 I think but offhand I can't remember the charge weight.

The recoil is quite comfortable. I built it as a 1000 yard target rifle with a 27" barrel light target. Very comfortable to carry.
          Last edited by Hummer; 10-23-2017, 02:04 AM.
          Distinguished Rifleman High Power , Distinguished Rifleman Smallbore Prone, Presidents Hundred (Rifle), Palma Teams Member (2), Dewar Teams Member (2), Member 4 Man National Championship Smallbore AnySight Team, Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Proving Ground , Eagle Scout, AC4HT, NRA Benefactor Member, Firefighter I, Shriner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
          X