.300 Blackout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .300 Blackout

I can't find anything in the forums so thought I'd start a new thread. Anyone know anything about the .300 Blackout? Seems to be the next "it" round but I don't know anything about it. I'm seeing AR's in it along with bolt guns. Not seeing much in the way of ammo though so is this just the next designer round they are trying to sell to the "I gotta have the latest" crowd?

Is there actual benefit in it or a future for it. On the surface I do like that its substantially heavier than the 5.56 and looks to be closer to the 7.62x39. Anyone know how the ballistics stack up to the AK or the 6.5SPC? Maybe more importantly, any of you have one and if so what are your thoughts and experiences so far?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

I have mentioned that we take veterans hunting now and then as part of an outreach program. Last year they were all carrying 300's. Like you said it was the new "it" round.

I will tell you what I remember of the experience.................'

They like that you could get a subsonic round for it. That was a big selling point.

They were disappointed in the actual performance, BUT of course subsonic = less power.

Some of them still liked it at the end of the trip, but some were soured on it as under powered.

We were hog hunting, and some of the pigs are almost armored. (true thing I can explain)
    "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Thanks Myakka. I was wondering on the power because when you look at the case it's so short which I'd think has to seriously limit the amount of powder available to shove that big 'ol slug down range. I've heard good things about some of the 6.5 and 6.8 rounds out there too and also see more and more rifles chambered in them but I'm not independently wealthy and can't afford a niche gun. I have read several places where the rumor mills suggest one of these 6 point something rounds might be considered buy DoD for the next generation cartridge.

How was the accuracy?

Comment

The accuracy seemed really good. I give a lot of credit the the guys doing the shooting.

It was night, driving in a truck. These guys had a military support group helping, and so we were using night vision and thermal imaging.

One of the coolest things I have ever helped with.
        "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

I'm actually planning on building a 300 BLK for my use. I've been watching the round and it's commercialization for a number of years. Ballistics are actually similar to 30-30 Winchester, which for my area and deer hunting isn't bad. Advanced Armament was the first company I saw developing this round and they still produce some barrels (semi & bolt) and uppers for it. I believe since Remington Arms bought out AAC that much of the advertising and reviews are being directed by them. Like Myakka, I've heard positive and negative comments and reviews of the round but I recently bought a AAC 7.62SD suppressor and think it will work great for deer hunting in WV. I also like the fact that I don't have to buy or use different magazines for the 300 BLK rounds and have the availability of choosing between subsonic and supersonic rounds commercially. Let us know what you decide country.

Dale
          Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

The 300 Blackout's best purpose is in a Suppressed SBR firing a 200-220 grain bullet...a close range man stopper that will cycle a AR15/M16 action, something a 5.56 sub-sonic round will not do.....the lighter bullets at supersonic velocities do perform within reason on Deer sized game. Shooting buddy has one of the Ruger American compact rifles and he shot a small buck at about 100 yards and Deer dropped in tracks, 120 OTM went clean through.....I was impressed....

Comment

There is a thread above about sub sonic rifles you may find of interest.

The 300 Blackout among knowledgeable folks I know is met with responses from both ends of the spectrum. I bought a 220 bullet mold for it and dies but have not got a chambering reamer and probably won't.

I like the big heavy cast bullet and I can load it to 1100FPS in a 308/30.06 which would accomplish the same thing and allow you to have full performance ammo.

I posted some ballistic drops for it in the other thread. Basically you need to sight in for 150 yards and hold 6 to 8 " low up to 125 yards, on the money at 150 and 8" high at 175 yards.
              Distinguished Rifleman High Power , Distinguished Rifleman Smallbore Prone, Presidents Hundred (Rifle), Palma Teams Member (2), Dewar Teams Member (2), Member 4 Man National Championship Smallbore AnySight Team, Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Proving Ground , Eagle Scout, AC4HT, NRA Benefactor Member, Firefighter I, Shriner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I built my 300 BLK and now working on a pistol version. For hunting whitetail deer in my area it's good as long as your not wanting 308 Win performance and with my suppressor the subsonic rounds are great out to about 150 yards.
                Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

Sorry I've been a 7.62 x 51 mm round guy since early 1972. Used it in hunting both animals and man. Works great on both.

'm not limited to a shot at 150 yards, but all the way out to 400 + yards. Best shot for me was a mule deer at 337 yards. One shot and down he went.

I'll keep my round. Works for me!

Comment

I look at it this way. In a survival application it would be a good round because they are much quieter and doesn't let potential opposition know you are in play. It is hard to get your head around how such a quiet round can kill something when all your life you had moderate recoil and a loud noise and instant incapacitation.

To save tons of typing here you all need to learn the mechanics of missile caused wounds.
                    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...3pWYVVJeGlGaFE

I suggest you download all of them on a thumb drive as you won't find better information.

To give an idea of what this information is worth, had you been a member of the IWBA you would have paid over 600.00 in dues to get the attached 10 years worth of journals and now you can get it for free. The data is still good and is the standard in today'
                    s evaluations of wound ballistics.

Go to the above site and you will have all you ever wanted to know about wound ballistics as these are all the journals of the International Wound Ballistics Assn.

The IWBA was a offspring of the Army Wound Ballistics Lab, Presidio, Calif who established the current protocols for wound ballistics in the mid 80s that have become the "STANDARD" for evaluating terminal ballistics performance.

It covers 22 LR up.

Col Martin Fackler MD was a friend of mine and his work was so complete he was asked to author the Chapter - Missile Caused Wounds in the current NATO handbook on EMERGENCY WAR SURGERY which you can find on line.

Basically Fackler presents evidence that you need two things for effective incapacitation, accuracy and penetration. Most handgun rounds just punch holes and per Fackler holes let blood out and most don't produce enough energy to achieve deep penetration. It therefore follows the bigger the hole the faster the bleeding. The next level of performance is two holes leak faster than one. It is a known fact things that have lost enough blood are no threat to you.

The high velocity rounds cause much more devastating terminal ballistics and cause death much quicker and lets everyone around known pretty well where you are and that you are in play which they may consider you a source of more weapons/food etc.

If you don't have the velocity to cause massive trauma you need to have a bullet that causes one or even better two big holes and such bullets need to have a heavy weight and have a delivery velocity of 800 fps with bullets in the 200 grain weight range.

Thus when I was presented with the knowledge of a heavier 357 bullet on the bullet mold market I jumped on it. It casts a 222 gr. bullet and with a 6" barrel I can get 1200 fps (chronographed) that groups better at 1100 FPS from a GP100. I was talking to Fackler and he said that bullet a 800 FPS would do a through and through on the biggest threats I could find.

On rifles it really gets to be effective when you have a 275 gr 35 cal bullet traveling at sub sonic velocity which benefits include noise signature equal to a 22 LR fired from a rifle thus a suppressor is not required.

Oh also note in the IWBA Journals there is no advertising. The dues of the members paid for the printing and mailings as Fackler wanted to be able to call it like he saw it.

Last edited by Hummer; 10-22-2017, 04:57 PM.
                    Distinguished Rifleman High Power , Distinguished Rifleman Smallbore Prone, Presidents Hundred (Rifle), Palma Teams Member (2), Dewar Teams Member (2), Member 4 Man National Championship Smallbore AnySight Team, Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Proving Ground , Eagle Scout, AC4HT, NRA Benefactor Member, Firefighter I, Shriner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Hummer View Post
                      I look at it this way. In a survival application it would be a good round because they are much quieter and doesn't let potential opposition know you are in play. It is hard to get your head around how such a quiet round can kill something when all your life you had moderate recoil and a loud noise and instant incapacitation.

To save tons of typing here you all need to learn the mechanics of missile caused wounds.
                      https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...3pWYVVJeGlGaFE

I suggest you download all of them on a thumb drive as you won't find better information.

Go to the above site and you will have all you ever wanted to know about wound ballistics as these are all the journals of the International Wound Ballistics Assn.

The IWBA was a offspring of the Army Wound Ballistics Lab, Presidio, Calif who established the current protocols for wound ballistics in the mid 80s that have become the "STANDARD" for evaluating terminal ballistics performance.

It covers 22 LR up.

Col Martin Fackler MD was a friend of mine and his work was so complete he was asked to author the Chapter - Missile Caused Wounds in the current NATO handbook on EMERGENCY WAR SURGERY which you can find on line.

Basically Fackler presents evidence that you need two things for effective incapacitation, accuracy and penetration. Most handgun rounds just punch holes and per Fackler holes let blood out and most don't produce enough energy to achieve deep penetration. It therefore follows the bigger the hole the faster the bleeding. The next level of performance is two holes leak faster than one. It is a known fact things that have lost enough blood are no threat to you.

The high velocity rounds cause much more devastating terminal ballistics and cause death much quicker and lets everyone around known pretty well where you are and that you are in play which they may consider you a source of more weapons/food etc.

If you don't have the velocity to cause massive trauma you need to have a bullet that causes one or even better two big holes and such bullets need to have a heavy weight and have a delivery velocity of 800 fps with bullets in the 200 grain weight range.

Thus when I was presented with the knowledge of a heavier 357 bullet on the bullet mold market I jumped on it. It casts a 222 gr. bullet and with a 6" barrel I can get 1200 fps (chronographed) that groups better at 1100 FPS from a GP100. I was talking to Fackler and he said that bullet a 800 FPS would do a through and through on the biggest threats I could find.

On rifles it really gets to be effective when you have a 275 gr 35 cal bullet traveling at sub sonic velocity which benefits include noise signature equal to a 22 LR fired from a rifle thus a suppressor is not required.

Oh also note in the IWBA Journals there is no advertising. The dues of the members paid for the printing and mailings as Fackler wanted to be able to call it like he saw it.

Thanks for the info Hummer! I first used suppressors (silencers) in the military and loved there ability to confuse those that would find you. Still love the effect. My 22LR suppressor quietens my 22LR bolt gun(subsonic rounds), down to the point that it's much quieter than my 22 cal air rifle as you hear the round impact down range but not the rifle itself. Made my brothers jaw drop the first time he heard it (loved it). My 300 BLK with subsonic rounds sound about like a 22 short un-suppressed. Providing me another tool in my prepper handbag.

Comment

Hummer - We need to agree to disagree. When the United States decided to buy a weapons system and round that would WOUND instead of KILL. Our military has gone down hill ever since.

Yes a light round 5.56 is accurate you can carry more of them and cost went way down for training.

But the round has major problems. If it hits anything other then its target you will have bouncers. If it hits it's target, the target may not go down. I've seen people put three, four rounds into a target and they still do not go down.

But hit them with a 30.06 or the NATO 7.62 x 51 and they will go down every time. Most will not get up again.

Comment

Hummer,
                          Great info, always appreciate your take and the science behind it!

Dale, That is one nice looking family...

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post
                            Hummer,
                            Great info, always appreciate your take and the science behind it!

Dale, That is one nice looking family...
                            Country,

Thanks! I enjoy building AR's. :)

Comment

I am confused, it would appear I have given the impression I think the 5.56 is THE way to go. Yes I tested the rifle M16A1E1 adopted as A2 and yes I wrote the report but I was ordered to do both. I have never been impressed with the round except for accuracy and it is a known fact the ARs in highpower competition are hard to beat at 200 and 300 yards but a good man with a bolt gun has a decent chance of coming even with them at 600 yards. My favorite round is 30.06, second is 308, third is 6.5X06 and fourth is 260. I have 5.56 rifles cause I got them at good deals but as I have said elsewhere they are not my out the door weapons at all.
                              Last edited by Hummer; 10-22-2017, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X