Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AK vs. SKS Accuracy

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    I sold truck loads of the Norinco SKS rifles back in the mid '90s for $89.95!

    If you want targets instead of talk here is what a box stock Chineese issue SKS with a cheap scope shooting Wolf HP is capable of at 100yards.

    By cheap I am talking about a $20 NCStar compact 4x. That is a 1.25 group. Most bolt guns will not do that right out of the box.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by RICHFL View Post
      If you are buying this for one purpose (Security) go with the AK; it has cheaper parts, and the rifle was designed with a removal magazine! The SKS has to be modified.

      The AK magazine goes in smoothly compared to the SKS magazine. Faster reload with the AK.
      Great point. The SKS's were originally top-loaders, and nobody has ever devised a "smooth" mag for an SKS. The mags are a pain-in-the-butt to get in and out. That's why I traded my Norinco SKS in for a new AK-47 about a year ago.
      If an AK-47 with a 30-round mag doesn't give you enough firepower, what will?

      Comment


      • #33
        With the new stock on my SKS it is easier to change the magazine now, but still more difficult than the AK-47
        "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." Plato

        That Government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves.

        — Thomas Jefferson


        You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.

        — Abraham Lincoln

        I was so embarrassed today. I got caught peeing in the pool. When the lifeguard yelled at me I jumped and damn near fell in.

        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

        Comment


        • #34
          If you are engaged in an altercation where you have emptied an SKS and the bad guys are still comming so fast that reloading time is an issue;

          1. Your tatics are WRONG. You work your tatics around your weapons, you do not decide what to do and then expect your weapons to do the impossible. If you do not have cover they are going to shoot you while you reload no matter what weapon you have. If you have cover a half second additional reload time is not a factor.

          2. You should have brought more help.

          3. You should not have pi$$ed that many people off at one time. You need to start working on your people skills.

          4. See signature at bottom.
          Last edited by Mortblanc; 12-15-2012, 11:01 AM.

          Comment


          • #35
            But Mort,.... What about the zombi horde?????
            "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

            "The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

            Skills Beats Stuff

            Comment


            • #36
              Liberal approach.....we are unarmed and you are welcome to come on in and share all of our food and warmth with us. Is this diplomatic enough.

              Sorry......the days of lovely people skills will have long gone by this time. Shoot first, ask questions later.

              I used to be a really sweet person............times have changed an so has my aim. Ak first and on from there.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Mortblanc View Post
                If you are engaged in an altercation where you have emptied an SKS and the bad guys are still comming so fast that reloading time is an issue;

                1. Your tatics are WRONG. You work your tatics around your weapons, you do not decide what to do and then expect your weapons to do the impossible. If you do not have cover they are going to shoot you while you reload no matter what weapon you have. If you have cover a half second additional reload time is not a factor.

                2. You should have brought more help.

                3. You should not have pi$$ed that many people off at one time. You need to start working on your people skills.

                4. See signature at bottom.
                Bahahahaha! Nicely played.

                - Buggy
                I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by mtnlioness View Post
                  Liberal approach.....we are unarmed and you are welcome to come on in and share all of our food and warmth with us. Is this diplomatic enough.

                  Sorry......the days of lovely people skills will have long gone by this time. Shoot first, ask questions later.

                  I used to be a really sweet person............times have changed an so has my aim. Ak first and on from there.
                  I still believe there is goodness of humanity - even with all the evil in the world. I will greet you with with open arms and weapons slung!

                  Having said that, my son is a trained sniper...he'll have you covered. Ha!

                  - Buggy
                  I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Oh Buggy you do crack me up. Love your approach!

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Mortblanc View Post
                      I sold truck loads of the Norinco SKS rifles back in the mid '90s for $89.95!

                      If you want targets instead of talk here is what a box stock Chineese issue SKS with a cheap scope shooting Wolf HP is capable of at 100yards.

                      By cheap I am talking about a $20 NCStar compact 4x. That is a 1.25 group. Most bolt guns will not do that right out of the box.

                      Having owner both a VG SKS and a new AK, I will say accuracy is dependent on 3 things:

                      1. Barrel condition. is it shoot out or like new? A bad barrel even in a Model 700 won't be accurate.
                      2. Shooters steadiness.
                      3. Ammo type and brand. This would require one to shoot quite a few rounds.

                      Maybe another one: Recoil? Ability to aquire the target under rapid fire.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        if you 'think: that the m16 or m4 cant hack it, its out of ignorance. all you have to do to see the truth is attend one of the 2x yearly machinegun shoots at knobCreek. :-) Besides, you are supposed to be mechanically smarter than the typical goatherd or ricegrower.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          If you check deeply into how firearms are introduced into the American military systems, you'll find that politics and kickbacks often decide what comes into play, not common sense nor what the average soldiers want or need. The M-9 Beretta pistol is a prime example of politics causing a pistol to be adopted by our military services. What basically happened was that our people wanted to put some missiles in Italy. In order to put our missiles in Italy we had to adopt the Beretta pistol. For the Beretta pistol to be adopted, the M-9, they had to have a plant in the U.S. That was when Beretta built a plant in Maryland. Beretta gets awarded the government/military contract and we end up with missile sites in Italy.

                          To appease U.S. gun contractors there were other pay-offs made to them in a quiet fashion. So this whole thing about firearms selection pretty much is a joke depending on which period in history you check on and research.

                          But any way, the SKS will be slightly more accurate than the AK rifle. The AK rifles have better features for combat such as faster ammo reloading by using magazines instead of stripper clips, folding stocks on some of the AK rifles and so on.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            As has been written by an very good expert on weapons >>>" American started going down hill when it changed from a round that kills the enemy to one that just pisses them off..." ! Enough said.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              I've never owned a AK, I've shot a few but just didn't really like the recoil impulse from the bolt. I do own 3 different version of SKS rifles a YUGO M59/66A1, Chinese factory /26\ carbine and my newly acquired 1952r Russian black bolt refurb that had been sitting in a safe room for the past 18 years in the box.

                              I handload for all my SKS rifles, mostly cast lead these days and find my reload much more accurate that most of the steel case offerings but there is some good steel case ammo out there if you find what your rifle likes. I think it also has to do with the condition of the SKS, all mine were basically new as they were either new in box or have gone through the refurb process.

                              Here is one of the test targets I shot a few year ago testing various steel case ammo that I had settled on as being the best quality and it what I put back in my rainy day stash.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                reloader 762 What is the accuracy at 100 yards?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X