Caliber consolidation, Really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caliber consolidation, Really?

Just wondering how all you guys that "consolidated" all your weapons down to .308, .223, 9mm and .22 now feel about your decision in the face of near complete ammo absence.

As a side note, there is plenty of 38spl, 44 mag, 30-30/270/30-06/7mm ammo at every outlet around my area. 12 and 20ga shells are still available in case lots everywhere.

Still feel really good about that decision. I choose those rounds due to being so familiar with them from the military, Knowing that those are still the rounds are military uses, which after a major SHTF equals a source of ammo for me. For me personnaly though, the weapons I have currently are not what I'm limited to. They are what I have for personal protection "NOW" and hunting now. If a total collapse happens or for any other reason I need weapons or ammo beyond what I currently have, I will be removing them from "doners" as the situation unfolds. That was part of uncle sams fine training he provided me. Thats why I believe in being proficient with any weapon I pick up. Same goes for any other "special items" that I might need after a total SHTF. But, thats just me.

Dale

Comment

Plus 1 to that.
      Consolidation allowed me to concentrate my purchases on fewer calibers meaning more ammo for each. Even with the shortage, I'm still able to purchase ammo in my area, just in limited quantities.
      Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Comment

I think my consolidations have worked in my favor. My timing on finding, then buying lots of ammo have not been the best, but I'm comfortable with what's on hand. I focused on 3 calibers as my go-to rounds, and I have a couple more rifle and shotgun options if I can pick up ammo from "donors". Two of the calibers feed pistol/rifle combinations. Good for forest or urban fighting. The 3rd caliber is my "reach out and touch'em" round. Good for wide open country with long views. Also good for putting big game on the table.
        Planning to be here through it all.............

Comment

I didn't have enough different types of weapons to do any consolidating, but I will offer this observation:

I read in a similar thread on another forum this idea of getting "donor" ammo, and how you should have a lot of different weapons because you can't guaruntee what caliber you will find. But one person observed that few folks walk around with just ammo. If you have a chance to capture "donor" ammo, you should also be able to get a donor weapon that uses it.

I will also say that the app we have discussed before www.gunbot.net has worked well for me. I ordered some stuff on back-order a couple weeks ago. It should be shipping next week. I also check in at walmart now and then, but I am sitting prety well, so if I find something I might buy it for extra, or I might call a buddy who isn't stocked up yet.
          "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Feeling pretty darn good!

If I decided I need to sell some ammo I can more than triple my investment. Of course if you decided to wait for BamBam to get reelected to buy your ammo you would be in pretty tough shape. Timing is everything.
            Last edited by nakadnu; 03-13-2013, 06:03 PM.
            SQUARE PEG IN A ROUND HOLE

Comment

Originally posted by myakka62 View Post
              I didn't have enough different types of weapons to do any consolidating, but I will offer this observation:

I read in a similar thread on another forum this idea of getting "donor" ammo, and how you should have a lot of different weapons because you can't guaruntee what caliber you will find. But one person observed that few folks walk around with just ammo. If you have a chance to capture "donor" ammo, you should also be able to get a donor weapon that uses it.

I will also say that the app we have discussed before www.gunbot.net has worked well for me. I ordered some stuff on back-order a couple weeks ago. It should be shipping next week. I also check in at walmart now and then, but I am sitting prety well, so if I find something I might buy it for extra, or I might call a buddy who isn't stocked up yet.
              Depends on which "team" is doing the donating, as to whether or not you need to pick up the weapons also. At the rate things are going, there may be some "confusion" as to which team is playing for whom. Hopefully, it's all academic and those can remain skills I'll never have to use again.

Dale:)

Comment

My group had a long hard discussion about this subject. We agreed on shotgun 12 ga., .40 S&W, 22lr for the kids small game etc., and .223 for 3 sections and 7.62x 39 mm for 1 section of our group. That group is our hunting and recon group. They also have our long range (Hunting rifles) in .308.

Here is why it is set up this way. My group has over 30 + shooters in it. The Home Defensive Group i.e. old, sick, lame, and older women with kids use the AR .223. It has great range, accuracy, less recoil and the weapon can be adjusted for the variety of shooters. They make up over 1/2 of the total number of shooters. Their job is to defend the farm and land in set covered positions.

The other section has the hunters, recon and security response teams. We set them up in 3 man security teams with 3 AK/SKS plus at least 1 long gun hunter/shooter for each 2 teams deployed. It operates very similar to the USMC fire team concept without the grenade launcher 203.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	CHEF1.gif
Views:	417
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	187209I have a lot of different weapons, lots of different calibers. I just feel that if there is an ammo shortage, it may be some uncommon caliber that will be able to find easy…at least that is my excuse for keeping so many different caliber guns around… I like 7.62 x25, 308, 22, 38/357, 45, 410, 12 gage, 380, 7.62x54, 7.62x39 oh hell I like them all… It would just be hard for me to scale it down.
                  "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." Plato

That Government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves.

— Thomas Jefferson

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.

— Abraham Lincoln

I was so embarrassed today. I got caught peeing in the pool. When the lifeguard yelled at me I jumped and damn near fell in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Chefsimms View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]7622[/ATTACH]I have a lot of different weapons, lots of different calibers. I just feel that if there is an ammo shortage, it may be some uncommon caliber that will be able to find easy…at least that is my excuse for keeping so many different caliber guns around… I like 7.62 x25, 308, 22, 38/357, 45, 410, 12 gage, 380, 7.62x54, 7.62x39 oh hell I like them all… It would just be hard for me to scale it down.
                    Chef,

If I could afford to not scale down, I wouldn't. Problem solved. ?????? Now, what was the problem???? LOL.

Dale

Comment

I can't find 38 specials, 45 cal, 30-30, 223 are non existent in my area. I need to go to Kentucky. LOL

Comment

Well as someone who has WAY to many cartridge needs, cutting down sounds like a great idea. Now to get rid of that old Rem Model 8, hmmm....great deer gun and fun to shoot, better put it back. M-N in 7.62x54R, surplus ammo getting thin on the ground, great gun though, better buy more ammo. .22/9mm/.38 Super/.45 combo 1911, hey, if the con kits don't eat much, why not keep them. The list goes on.

Hit the wally World yesterday. Lots of 12 gauge at high prices, ONE box of .270 and ONE box of .30-30 on the shelf. NO handgun ammo there! Couple weeks ago they still had high end (HIGH priced!) .380 and .40 and about ten boxes of .38 Super (at $34/50) but NO handgun ammo now!

Comment

Originally posted by wrightone View Post
                          I can't find 38 specials, 45 cal, 30-30, 223 are non existent in my area. I need to go to Kentucky. LOL
                          You got to get out of Obama's and Emanuel's home state where Chicago rules the roost...
                          I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

I put the money that I do not waste on other calibers into 22's, lead for casting and components. I don't care if there's no ammo for several years yet. ! however, if this .22 thing continues, I am going to go to Mexico and buy an 18 wheeler full of .22lr, bring it up here and 4x my money on it.

Comment

Working...
                            X