• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by West Texas! View Post
    yeppers, I wanna check out their lack of ammo....:(

Cool. I have a gift card from there I need to use.

Leave a comment:

• West Texas!
    replied
    Originally posted by Rustyshakelford View Post
    Not at all. I will see what I can do to ge us both in down there. You want to grab a cup of coffee this weekend? I am heading for Midland on Saturday to Acadamy to look at a new 10/22.
    yeppers, I wanna check out their lack of ammo....:(

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    I'm not shooting anywhere....:mad:
    I've only been here since late September..so I'm not jonesing too bad...but I do feel the shakes coming on.....

I have some land some by Monahans/Pecos....but it's flat as a pancake...not really safe to shoot until I can get a backstop built up..

I understand Midland has a club of sorts...been trying to find the time to research it.

Crane...that's not too far IIRC....

Not at all. I will see what I can do to ge us both in down there. You want to grab a cup of coffee this weekend? I am heading for Midland on Saturday to Acadamy to look at a new 10/22.

Leave a comment:

• West Texas!
    replied
    Where you been shooting around here? Been going out to a private range near Crane. Have to go with a member, but am working on letting them take me on as a paying member.

I'm not shooting anywhere....:mad:
    I've only been here since late September..so I'm not jonesing too bad...but I do feel the shakes coming on.....

I have some land some by Monahans/Pecos....but it's flat as a pancake...not really safe to shoot until I can get a backstop built up..

I understand Midland has a club of sorts...been trying to find the time to research it.

Crane...that's not too far IIRC....

Leave a comment:

• Red
    replied
    Originally posted by DanCole View Post
    In College I had a roommate with all kinds of exotic firearms and he always had to stock up on large amounts of ammo (when he could find it).

Which brings me to my rule of thumb I always consider with firearms:

I like fire arms with common ammunition. You can only carry so much ammo in your pack.

In a survival situation, can I find ammo just about anywhere?

Here in SC, as a minimum I bet you can find one in five homes has:

30.06, 12 gage, .38/ .357, .45, or 9mm

So my top choices for bug out firearms: 30.06, .357 and 12 gage

This is my way of thinking as well! Have you thought about .308 7.62 x 51? It's a little bit smaller than the venerable '06 but it has very similar balistics. I know from 200 yards with a 180 grain out of my browning the tomato sauce cans turn into a red mist. And I deloaded some M1 armor piercing and loaded the bullets into .308 brass and put clean holes through a snow plow cutting edge from 50 yards. I also loaded some 110 grain and literally exploded a tomato sauce can... could only find a few pieces of it!

Leave a comment:

• Red
    replied
    5.7 is kind of puny isn't it?
    It's a very deceiving round! It is capable of penetrating 58 layers of kevlar at 50 yards (from the 5.7 pistol). so it's small but man is that thing zinging. I just traded a 5.7 pistol towards a bushmaster 5.56 AR15. The only reason I gave it up is that the ammo is expensive and not a milsurp kind of thing. I am mostly a .308 and .45 guy (as I've said before) and the AR15 is winning a place in my heart... plus it's nice for when I bring ladies to the range... they don't all like to be bashed by my M1As and G3 clones... hell I don't even like to be bashed by the G3 clones! (SAR-8 and PTR91)... but the 5.7 carbine is definitely nothing to sneer at especially close range or in tight quarters.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by rollo View Post
    Het Rusty,

sweet FAL 308 perfect...many reasons. I am looking on gunbroker.com for the same. Much thought went into this decesion. I will set up with adjustable bipod. I picked up a new PS90 5.7 ..Very nice urban piece. At under 6 pounds and the swing around strap lets you effortlessly swing to your back if need be.

rollo:cool:
    Love my FAL

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by rollo View Post
    Het Rusty,

sweet FAL 308 perfect...many reasons. I am looking on gunbroker.com for the same. Much thought went into this decesion. I will set up with adjustable bipod. I picked up a new PS90 5.7 ..Very nice urban piece. At under 6 pounds and the swing around strap lets you effortlessly swing to your back if need be.

5.7 is kind of puny isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• rollo
    replied
    Hey Rustyshackelford

Het Rusty,

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    I have a SWEET CETME....and lot's of ammo.
    I have an awesome SKS...and lots of ammo.
    a little .22 bolt action...and lot's of ammo

I have an XD-.45...and lot's of ammo

Oh, I forget the M44...and lot's of ammo.

I'm an ammo ho.....no I can't carry it...but I don't plan on it either.
    Where you been shooting around here? Been going out to a private range near Crane. Have to go with a member, but am working on letting them take me on as a paying member.

Leave a comment:

• West Texas!
    replied
    I have a SWEET CETME....and lot's of ammo.
    I have an awesome SKS...and lots of ammo.
    a little .22 bolt action...and lot's of ammo

I have an XD-.45...and lot's of ammo

Oh, I forget the M44...and lot's of ammo.

I'm an ammo ho.....no I can't carry it...but I don't plan on it either.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by DanCole View Post
    In College I had a roommate with all kinds of exotic firearms and he always had to stock up on large amounts of ammo (when he could find it).

I like fire arms with common ammunition. You can only carry so much ammo in your pack.

Never thought about that. Here in Texas, about everyone has a 30-30. Except me. Not a real fan of lever actions.

Leave a comment:

• Edisto
    replied
    Ammo & Guns rule of thumb

Leave a comment:

• kenno
    replied
    I have a 270 savage 110 for long range deer and I know friends that have had 110's for decades. For the money they are a great rifle and once the trigger is tuned, will shoot 3 holes into .65" at 100 yards.
    I also own two 308's so the 270 is a secondary rifle. If I had to choose one caliber it would be 308. If I lived closer to moose country it would be 30-06 or 300 mag.
    A handgun should either be your first or last purchase depending on your location and wether you will hunker down or bug out.
    Large handguns like the 1911 and full sized 9mm's or revolvers can be a real pain to pack around while doing phyiscal activities. If you are fired on with a rifle from 100 yards a handgun is essentialy usless. At close range, under 25 feet, a smaller handgun is effective with the right ammo. So in my mind 22LR, 380. 9mm, 38 spl, 357mag, 40cal, 10mm, 45 acp. all have value in a small defensive handgun, at close range.
    Set a budget. Research the market, what are the best models you can afford, then shop around for the best deal.
    Last edited by kenno; 12-27-2008, 09:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by Big_Saw View Post
    I'd recommend being prepared for both....;)
    Well said, and I think I am.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X