• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
    What would go with you?

And why the .308 instead of the .270?

Smaller, easier to "liberate" if needed and a greater choice of firearms. If I remember correctly the 740 is one of the small handfull of semi auto 270's.

I would carry the FN FAL in 308, wife would get the AK, kid would get the M-1 carbine, and I have a take apart .22/.410 survival rifle in the pack, and I would carry the S&W model 686 in .38/.357 in my holster. If I had room I would grab the bolt action .22.

But that is just me. I say you get what makes you happy, and carry it and get good with it, and learn to appreciate it.
    Last edited by Rustyshakelford; 12-23-2008, 01:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    My BoB loadout....

As far as the house goes....I have enough.

For my BoB:

50 rds Winchester 9mm Luger Premium 115gr JHP
    100 rds Winchester 9mm Luger Parabellum 115gr FMJ

50 rds Winchester SuperX 12g heavy game shot
    50 rds Federal Premium Barnes Expander Tipped 12g slug
    50 rds Estate Crtridge 12g buckshot.

2000 rds .177 cal pellets (HP, MP, CT)

For my wife's BoB:

50 rds Winchester 9mm Luger Premium 115gr JHP
    100 rds Winchester 9mm Luger Parabellum 115gr FMJ

For my daughter's BoB:

500 rds Winchester SuperX .22LR cal 37gr HP

Leave a comment:

• Jeffro
    replied
    Originally posted by Rustyshakelford View Post
    I have 260 rounds of 30 carbine. 1500 rounds of .22, 200 rounds of 308, 350 rounds of 7.62 x 39, 100 rounds of .410, 100 rounds of 12 guage, 500 rounds of .38's. All except the .22 and the shotgun rounds are handloads. If/When I gotta leave, it will not all go with me.
    What would go with you?

And why the .308 instead of the .270?

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    How much ammo do you guys stock? I have a friend who is working towards at least 1000 rounds per weapon. That's easy for a .22, but gets difficult with everything else. And if you stock 1000 rounds per weapon what do you when it's time to bug out? It would be near impossible to walk off with 3-5 thousand rounds.

Later,
    Jeffro
    I have 260 rounds of 30 carbine. 1500 rounds of .22, 200 rounds of 308, 350 rounds of 7.62 x 39, 100 rounds of .410, 100 rounds of 12 guage, 500 rounds of .38's. All except the .22 and the shotgun rounds are handloads. If/When I gotta leave, it will not all go with me.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    I'm just getting started on my gun collection.

Right now I have the S&W .40 Sigma. I looked for a long time and liked the feel and look of it. I wanted something with knockdown power so I went with the .40 instead of a 9mm.

I also have a semiauto .22 rifle that I enjoy shooting. I inherited it from my Grandfather, so a tactical gem it's not, but it shoots great.

My plan for my next purchase is a simple .270 deer rifle. I'm trying to decide on whether or not to buy a semi auto or a bolt action. Bolt action is a lot easier on the pocketbook, and I think it will better suit my needs for now. My hopes are that if TSHTF one of you boys, with your AK's & AR's, will handle the heavy lifting with the Defense and Protection. I have no military experience, so I have no idea about anything other than a hunting rifle, and I haven't even done much of that in the last 15 years.

After that, my thought is a shotgun of some sort, but I haven't thought enough about that to even know what I want yet.

I need some advice on the rifle and the shotgun. So feel free to offer any suggestions you may have.

Later,
    Jeffro
    Instead of the 270, how about a 308? Just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Jeffro
    replied
    I'm just getting started on my gun collection.

Right now I have the S&W .40 Sigma. I looked for a long time and liked the feel and look of it. I wanted something with knockdown power so I went with the .40 instead of a 9mm.

I also have a semiauto .22 rifle that I enjoy shooting. I inherited it from my Grandfather, so a tactical gem it's not, but it shoots great.

My plan for my next purchase is a simple .270 deer rifle. I'm trying to decide on whether or not to buy a semi auto or a bolt action. Bolt action is a lot easier on the pocketbook, and I think it will better suit my needs for now. My hopes are that if TSHTF one of you boys, with your AK's & AR's, will handle the heavy lifting with the Defense and Protection. I have no military experience, so I have no idea about anything other than a hunting rifle, and I haven't even done much of that in the last 15 years.

After that, my thought is a shotgun of some sort, but I haven't thought enough about that to even know what I want yet.

I need some advice on the rifle and the shotgun. So feel free to offer any suggestions you may have.

Later,
    Jeffro

Leave a comment:

• Jeffro
    replied
    Originally posted by beebopcop View Post
    My main weapons are the AR-15 in .223 and 2 1911 .45 ACPs secondaries are .44 mag and .45 long colt/.45ACP revolver, a 12 guage shotgun and of course some .22s. I choose my weapons based on stopping power and versatility. I try to keep it down to 3 or 4 different calibers because I don't want to have to buy 19 different types of ammo. I would not mind going from the AR to an AK but I could not afford to build my ammo back up for the AK so I will stick with what I got. Yes, I do like a nice looking gun, its kinda like looking at Rusty's knee up there. ummmmm....sweet.
    How much ammo do you guys stock? I have a friend who is working towards at least 1000 rounds per weapon. That's easy for a .22, but gets difficult with everything else. And if you stock 1000 rounds per weapon what do you when it's time to bug out? It would be near impossible to walk off with 3-5 thousand rounds.

Later,
    Jeffro

Leave a comment:

• Ronald_THM
    replied
    Handgun - .40S&W sigma. its what I know, simple to operate and clean plus it was my first handgun.

Shotgun - Mossberg 500 "persuader" again simple to operate, ammo is plentiful (alot of hardware stores sell 12g)

Rifle - M1 carbine .30cal. Light weight, ammo capacity.

Specialty stuff- 38 derringer 22 rifles and revolvers, 7mmMag, assorted surplus weapons.

I chose the 3 above basically because I know them inside out. They fit my plans if the SHTF and I need to Bug-in or Bug-out and my wife can use them.

Leave a comment:

• beebopcop
    replied
    Rusty in a thong...........oh stoppit you teassh...lol
    Last edited by beebopcop; 12-22-2008, 09:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ryantx23
    replied
    I own many guns. Typically, I stick to NATO rounds that are / were readily available in bulk as surplus. I have several AR's, an AK, National Match M-14, Mini 14, AR-10, PTR91 in 308, Galil in .223, several .22's and shotguns (mostly 12 ga), have 2 308 bolt guns, british 303, several pistols in various calibers from .357 Mag, 9mm, 40S&W to 45acp. Have always tried to keep a pretty good stock on ammo too for most of them. As well as plenty of magazines to go around of course too:D Rusty, I'm with ya on the Smith 686. I own one myself and its an excellent shooter in a great caliber. They're hard to beat!

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by Zombie Axe View Post
    I like the 9mm, but I prefer the .45 ACP but different percieved threats change what I carry, but 95% of the time, I want the .45 ACP :) The .45 is a great round that has served folks that put it on the line for us with an awesome record!

Rifle calibers, I tend to like the AR family, the M1A family and even the AK. I used the AR in military days, so that is what I am familiar with on a lot of weapon drills.

I prefer the .308 caliber for its superior penetration and range to the .223. The .308 only loses out because of ONE problem... it weighs more :( but that ain't a problem in some scenarios.

The AK, what can you say bad about it. It has a longevity for a service rifle caliber that is only edged out by time to the 7.62X54R. Dang good round closer in, with a real sized bullet. Not as accurate as an AR but the bullets make bigger holes when they do make contact ;)

Other than a few special calibers for special needs I don't stock much more than the above...

Always wanted a 10 mm Glock... but ammo is kinda high to buy in bulk, but MAN what a round :eek:

Other than that I feel well served by my choices in calibers:cool:
    Tomorrow, I am going down and will put a pistol I always wanted, on layaway. I found a 70's era Belgian Hi-Power. I swore I would never buy an auto pistol, and have always hated the 9mm round, but the moment I picked up the Hi-Power, I had to have one!!

Leave a comment:

• Zombie Axe
    replied
    I like the 9mm, but I prefer the .45 ACP but different percieved threats change what I carry, but 95% of the time, I want the .45 ACP :) The .45 is a great round that has served folks that put it on the line for us with an awesome record!

Rifle calibers, I tend to like the AR family, the M1A family and even the AK. I used the AR in military days, so that is what I am familiar with on a lot of weapon drills.

I prefer the .308 caliber for its superior penetration and range to the .223. The .308 only loses out because of ONE problem... it weighs more :( but that ain't a problem in some scenarios.

The AK, what can you say bad about it. It has a longevity for a service rifle caliber that is only edged out by time to the 7.62X54R. Dang good round closer in, with a real sized bullet. Not as accurate as an AR but the bullets make bigger holes when they do make contact ;)

Other than a few special calibers for special needs I don't stock much more than the above...

Always wanted a 10 mm Glock... but ammo is kinda high to buy in bulk, but MAN what a round :eek:

Other than that I feel well served by my choices in calibers:cool:

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by Big_Saw View Post
    Sh*t.....I still hunt black bear with a flyswatter......lol
    Tried that, but felt it was not giving the bear a sporting chance.

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    Originally posted by Rustyshakelford View Post
    Yeah, back when Reagan was president, we hunted Dino's with sharp sticks.
    Sh*t.....I still hunt black bear with a flyswatter......lol

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by Big_Saw View Post
    Easy, Turbo......don't get all decrepit on me.......lol....I didn't even know they'd invented guns when you were in college.

Yeah, back when Reagan was president, we hunted Dino's with sharp sticks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X