Hangun and rifle choices...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ronald_THM View Post
    that darn corrosive ammo strikes AGAIN!!!

It's really not too bad, as long as you shoot it while it is somewhat fresh, and clean your firearm soon after shooting. It is not a good choice for storing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
      I'm just getting started on my gun collection.

Right now I have the S&W .40 Sigma. I looked for a long time and liked the feel and look of it. I wanted something with knockdown power so I went with the .40 instead of a 9mm.

I also have a semiauto .22 rifle that I enjoy shooting. I inherited it from my Grandfather, so a tactical gem it's not, but it shoots great.

My plan for my next purchase is a simple .270 deer rifle. I'm trying to decide on whether or not to buy a semi auto or a bolt action. Bolt action is a lot easier on the pocketbook, and I think it will better suit my needs for now. My hopes are that if TSHTF one of you boys, with your AK's & AR's, will handle the heavy lifting with the Defense and Protection. I have no military experience, so I have no idea about anything other than a hunting rifle, and I haven't even done much of that in the last 15 years.

After that, my thought is a shotgun of some sort, but I haven't thought enough about that to even know what I want yet.

I need some advice on the rifle and the shotgun. So feel free to offer any suggestions you may have.

Later,
      Jeffro
      IMHO I think 1 to 2000 round per MAIN weapon, you can't haul but so much and as much .22 as you can possibly buy. These guys here have me convinced that it will be a good bartering tool. Also, I would have to agree with Rusty on the 308 caliber over the 270, it's just a much more versatile round. Another thought is that in our area Jeffro there is a large amount of used 30.06 rifles available right now. Look at JR's gunshop, he had several last week at good prices.
      The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I think that 1000 rounds per MBR (Main Battle Rifle) minimum as IMHO the round counts on this thread are a little low :(

500 rounds per sidearm minimum

100 rounds of buckshot and 100 rounds of slugs plus 250 rounds of various birdshot.

.22 LR a ZILLION rounds minimum. It is the easiest round to stockpile a bunch of...

Rusty probably has enough reloading supplies to make more, but most of the rest of you need to STOCK UP:mad:

later,
        ZA

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to
        beat you to death with it because it is empty.

The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombie Axe View Post
          I think that 1000 rounds per MBR (Main Battle Rifle) minimum as IMHO the round counts on this thread are a little low :(

100 rounds of buckshot and 100 rounds of slugs plus 250 rounds of various birdshot.

.22 LR a ZILLION rounds minimum. It is the easiest round to stockpile a bunch of...

Rusty probably has enough reloading supplies to make more, but most of the rest of you need to STOCK UP:mad:

Yeah, I can make lots more. But, I am looking at what I need to Bug out with.

Comment

Some of us are talking Bob loadouts, here, not stockpiles....where you gonna fit your food and suplies w/ a 2000 round load out? Even if you only carried a .22 rifle when buggin' out....1000 rounds is another 15 Lbs+, and nobody I know expects to Bug out w/just .22 ammo. God knows what the loadout weight and bulk would be if I tried to pack 1000 rounds of 12g, in various loads, +all my gear.....+all my sidearm loadouts...... whoa, man.....we're talking beauceau pack weight and bulk.......\\Or are you speaking on home stockpiles......'cause that's classified above top secret, and I could tell you, but I'd have to get Rusty to kill you.
            "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Saw View Post
              Some of us are talking Bob loadouts, here, not stockpiles....where you gonna fit your food and suplies w/ a 2000 round load out? Even if you only carried a .22 rifle when buggin' out....1000 rounds is another 15 Lbs+, and nobody I know expects to Bug out w/just .22 ammo. God knows what the loadout weight and bulk would be if I tried to pack 1000 rounds of 12g, in various loads, +all my gear.....+all my sidearm loadouts...... whoa, man.....we're talking beauceau pack weight and bulk.......\\Or are you speaking on home stockpiles......'cause that's classified above top secret, and I could tell you, but I'd have to get Rusty to kill you.

Hey, don't drag me into this. I am a Libertarian. I just want to be left alone, but am fast aproaching the point where there are too darn many people taking my money, telling me how to lead my life, and try to ban my hobby.

Comment

Some of us are talking Bob loadouts, here, not stockpiles...
                but Some of us were;)

later,
                ZA

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to
                beat you to death with it because it is empty.

The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

Comment

but Some of us were;)

Every situation is different for each individual. Some need to hunker down, some need to bug out.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustyshakelford View Post
                    Every situation is different for each individual. Some need to hunker down, some need to bug out.
                    I'd recommend being prepared for both....;)
                    "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

Comment

I'd recommend being prepared for both....;)
                      Well said, and I think I am.

Comment

I have a 270 savage 110 for long range deer and I know friends that have had 110's for decades. For the money they are a great rifle and once the trigger is tuned, will shoot 3 holes into .65" at 100 yards.
                        I also own two 308's so the 270 is a secondary rifle. If I had to choose one caliber it would be 308. If I lived closer to moose country it would be 30-06 or 300 mag.
                        A handgun should either be your first or last purchase depending on your location and wether you will hunker down or bug out.
                        Large handguns like the 1911 and full sized 9mm's or revolvers can be a real pain to pack around while doing phyiscal activities. If you are fired on with a rifle from 100 yards a handgun is essentialy usless. At close range, under 25 feet, a smaller handgun is effective with the right ammo. So in my mind 22LR, 380. 9mm, 38 spl, 357mag, 40cal, 10mm, 45 acp. all have value in a small defensive handgun, at close range.
                        Set a budget. Research the market, what are the best models you can afford, then shop around for the best deal.
                        Last edited by kenno; 12-27-2008, 09:10 PM.
                        The road to serfdom is paved with free electric golf carts.

Comment

Ammo & Guns rule of thumb

In College I had a roommate with all kinds of exotic firearms and he always had to stock up on large amounts of ammo (when he could find it).

Which brings me to my rule of thumb I always consider with firearms:

I like fire arms with common ammunition. You can only carry so much ammo in your pack.

In a survival situation, can I find ammo just about anywhere?

Here in SC, as a minimum I bet you can find one in five homes has:

30.06, 12 gage, .38/ .357, .45, or 9mm

So my top choices for bug out firearms: 30.06, .357 and 12 gage
                          “Our Band is few but true and tried," reguarding the Swamp Fox

Comment

Originally posted by DanCole View Post
                            In College I had a roommate with all kinds of exotic firearms and he always had to stock up on large amounts of ammo (when he could find it).

Which brings me to my rule of thumb I always consider with firearms:

I like fire arms with common ammunition. You can only carry so much ammo in your pack.

In a survival situation, can I find ammo just about anywhere?

Here in SC, as a minimum I bet you can find one in five homes has:

30.06, 12 gage, .38/ .357, .45, or 9mm

So my top choices for bug out firearms: 30.06, .357 and 12 gage

Never thought about that. Here in Texas, about everyone has a 30-30. Except me. Not a real fan of lever actions.

Comment

I have a SWEET CETME....and lot's of ammo.
                              I have an awesome SKS...and lots of ammo.
                              a little .22 bolt action...and lot's of ammo

I have an XD-.45...and lot's of ammo

Oh, I forget the M44...and lot's of ammo.

I'm an ammo ho.....no I can't carry it...but I don't plan on it either.

Comment

Originally posted by West Texas! View Post
                                I have a SWEET CETME....and lot's of ammo.
                                I have an awesome SKS...and lots of ammo.
                                a little .22 bolt action...and lot's of ammo

I have an XD-.45...and lot's of ammo

Oh, I forget the M44...and lot's of ammo.

I'm an ammo ho.....no I can't carry it...but I don't plan on it either.
                                Where you been shooting around here? Been going out to a private range near Crane. Have to go with a member, but am working on letting them take me on as a paying member.

Comment

Working...
                                X