X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big_Saw
    replied
    Originally posted by Rustyshakelford View Post
    Every situation is different for each individual. Some need to hunker down, some need to bug out.
    I'd recommend being prepared for both....;)

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by Zombie Axe View Post
    but Some of us were;)

Every situation is different for each individual. Some need to hunker down, some need to bug out.

Leave a comment:

• Zombie Axe
    replied
    Originally posted by Big_Saw View Post
    Some of us are talking Bob loadouts, here, not stockpiles...
    but Some of us were;)

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by Big_Saw View Post
    Some of us are talking Bob loadouts, here, not stockpiles....where you gonna fit your food and suplies w/ a 2000 round load out? Even if you only carried a .22 rifle when buggin' out....1000 rounds is another 15 Lbs+, and nobody I know expects to Bug out w/just .22 ammo. God knows what the loadout weight and bulk would be if I tried to pack 1000 rounds of 12g, in various loads, +all my gear.....+all my sidearm loadouts...... whoa, man.....we're talking beauceau pack weight and bulk.......\\Or are you speaking on home stockpiles......'cause that's classified above top secret, and I could tell you, but I'd have to get Rusty to kill you.

Hey, don't drag me into this. I am a Libertarian. I just want to be left alone, but am fast aproaching the point where there are too darn many people taking my money, telling me how to lead my life, and try to ban my hobby.

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    I think that 1000 rounds per MBR (Main Battle Rifle) minimum as IMHO the round counts on this thread are a little low :(

500 rounds per sidearm minimum

100 rounds of buckshot and 100 rounds of slugs plus 250 rounds of various birdshot.

.22 LR a ZILLION rounds minimum. It is the easiest round to stockpile a bunch of...

Rusty probably has enough reloading supplies to make more, but most of the rest of you need to STOCK UP:mad:
    Some of us are talking Bob loadouts, here, not stockpiles....where you gonna fit your food and suplies w/ a 2000 round load out? Even if you only carried a .22 rifle when buggin' out....1000 rounds is another 15 Lbs+, and nobody I know expects to Bug out w/just .22 ammo. God knows what the loadout weight and bulk would be if I tried to pack 1000 rounds of 12g, in various loads, +all my gear.....+all my sidearm loadouts...... whoa, man.....we're talking beauceau pack weight and bulk.......\\Or are you speaking on home stockpiles......'cause that's classified above top secret, and I could tell you, but I'd have to get Rusty to kill you.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    I think that 1000 rounds per MBR (Main Battle Rifle) minimum as IMHO the round counts on this thread are a little low :(

100 rounds of buckshot and 100 rounds of slugs plus 250 rounds of various birdshot.

.22 LR a ZILLION rounds minimum. It is the easiest round to stockpile a bunch of...

Rusty probably has enough reloading supplies to make more, but most of the rest of you need to STOCK UP:mad:

Yeah, I can make lots more. But, I am looking at what I need to Bug out with.

Leave a comment:

• Zombie Axe
    replied

Leave a comment:

• beebopcop
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
    I'm just getting started on my gun collection.

Right now I have the S&W .40 Sigma. I looked for a long time and liked the feel and look of it. I wanted something with knockdown power so I went with the .40 instead of a 9mm.

I also have a semiauto .22 rifle that I enjoy shooting. I inherited it from my Grandfather, so a tactical gem it's not, but it shoots great.

My plan for my next purchase is a simple .270 deer rifle. I'm trying to decide on whether or not to buy a semi auto or a bolt action. Bolt action is a lot easier on the pocketbook, and I think it will better suit my needs for now. My hopes are that if TSHTF one of you boys, with your AK's & AR's, will handle the heavy lifting with the Defense and Protection. I have no military experience, so I have no idea about anything other than a hunting rifle, and I haven't even done much of that in the last 15 years.

After that, my thought is a shotgun of some sort, but I haven't thought enough about that to even know what I want yet.

I need some advice on the rifle and the shotgun. So feel free to offer any suggestions you may have.

Later,
    Jeffro
    IMHO I think 1 to 2000 round per MAIN weapon, you can't haul but so much and as much .22 as you can possibly buy. These guys here have me convinced that it will be a good bartering tool. Also, I would have to agree with Rusty on the 308 caliber over the 270, it's just a much more versatile round. Another thought is that in our area Jeffro there is a large amount of used 30.06 rifles available right now. Look at JR's gunshop, he had several last week at good prices.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronald_THM View Post
    that darn corrosive ammo strikes AGAIN!!!

It's really not too bad, as long as you shoot it while it is somewhat fresh, and clean your firearm soon after shooting. It is not a good choice for storing.

Leave a comment:

• Ronald_THM
    replied
    Man I love the '06 round. It is without a doubt my favorite. But, alas, I went with the 308 due to the avalability of reloading brass. Remember too, that a lot of the '06 (Greek, Korean) is mildly corrosive and is usually Berdan primed (non-reloadable).
    that darn corrosive ammo strikes AGAIN!!!

Leave a comment:

• Zombie Axe
    replied
    Tomorrow, I am going down and will put a pistol I always wanted, on layaway. I found a 70's era Belgian Hi-Power. I swore I would never buy an auto pistol, and have always hated the 9mm round, but the moment I picked up the Hi-Power, I had to have one!!
    Sweet Rusty! I wish I could find one!

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronald_THM View Post
    have you considered 30/06? alot of surplus ammo and tons of rifles are chambered for it (the remington 7400 is nice). You need to find one that suits you.
    Just my 2cents....
    Man I love the '06 round. It is without a doubt my favorite. But, alas, I went with the 308 due to the avalability of reloading brass. Remember too, that a lot of the '06 (Greek, Korean) is mildly corrosive and is usually Berdan primed (non-reloadable).

Leave a comment:

• snal
    replied
    I have brothers and a sister within a few hours of me, and they don't keep any firearms. I use this as an excuse to collect what I would collect anyway. They have been informed of what resides in their bags... complete with ONE box of ammo for each firearm...they need to stock up on the rest.
    I have a few mini 14's, AR's, and several .223 bolt actions (keep the same caliber)...several 10/22's as well as other .22lr long guns. I've built a HD Remington 870 for each sibling, as well as one for me and the wife. 9each .22 pistols, (MKII's MKIII's, Buckmark, P22, Taurus 94/941, and a S&W 422). For centerfire handguns I stick with 9mm, .357 and .45acp...4 XD45's, 2 XD9's, 3 Ruger SR9's, GP100, and SP101....the old stand-by "country-boy assualt rifles" are Marlin 336 in 35rem., Marlin 1894 44mag, Puma M92 in .44mag and .357.
    Ammo...
    250 rounds of 00 buckshot
    500 rounds of 7-1/2 Shot
    200 rounds of 12 ga Turkey Load
    1500 rounds of .223 (not enough)
    500 rounds of .45acp
    900 rounds of 9mm
    100 rounds of .44mag
    52,000 rounds of Federal .22lr (excellent trade item in SHTFS)
    Lots of .357/9mm/45/223 brass

Leave a comment:

• Ronald_THM
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
    What would go with you?

And why the .308 instead of the .270?
    have you considered 30/06? alot of surplus ammo and tons of rifles are chambered for it (the remington 7400 is nice). You need to find one that suits you.
    Just my 2cents....

Leave a comment:

• Zombie Axe
    replied
    Jeffro,
    I am with Rusty on the .308 over the .270. Mainly because it is a millitary round thus it is easier to stockpile large amounts of ammo for it. In other words it is cheaper per round, and it may be easier to secure some battlefield pick ups for it...

The .308 is probably one of the most studied of the sniper rounds in history. So if you do your part with the weapon the bullet will go where you want!

As for a rifle, semi-autos are great but can get pricey. Since you like the idea of a bolt gun, I would go for a Savage 110 in .308 with the accutrigger. IMHO they are one of the best rifles on the market.

Shotgun... simple... if you are right handed... Remington 870... if you are a lefty or like the safety on the back of the reciever Mossberg 500 or 590...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X