Hangun and rifle choices...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rusty in a thong...........oh stoppit you teassh...lol
    Last edited by beebopcop; 12-22-2008, 09:38 PM.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Handgun - .40S&W sigma. its what I know, simple to operate and clean plus it was my first handgun.

Shotgun - Mossberg 500 "persuader" again simple to operate, ammo is plentiful (alot of hardware stores sell 12g)

Rifle - M1 carbine .30cal. Light weight, ammo capacity.

Specialty stuff- 38 derringer 22 rifles and revolvers, 7mmMag, assorted surplus weapons.

I chose the 3 above basically because I know them inside out. They fit my plans if the SHTF and I need to Bug-in or Bug-out and my wife can use them.
      Acta non verba

Comment

Originally posted by beebopcop View Post
        My main weapons are the AR-15 in .223 and 2 1911 .45 ACPs secondaries are .44 mag and .45 long colt/.45ACP revolver, a 12 guage shotgun and of course some .22s. I choose my weapons based on stopping power and versatility. I try to keep it down to 3 or 4 different calibers because I don't want to have to buy 19 different types of ammo. I would not mind going from the AR to an AK but I could not afford to build my ammo back up for the AK so I will stick with what I got. Yes, I do like a nice looking gun, its kinda like looking at Rusty's knee up there. ummmmm....sweet.
        How much ammo do you guys stock? I have a friend who is working towards at least 1000 rounds per weapon. That's easy for a .22, but gets difficult with everything else. And if you stock 1000 rounds per weapon what do you when it's time to bug out? It would be near impossible to walk off with 3-5 thousand rounds.

Later,
        Jeffro

Comment

I'm just getting started on my gun collection.

Right now I have the S&W .40 Sigma. I looked for a long time and liked the feel and look of it. I wanted something with knockdown power so I went with the .40 instead of a 9mm.

I also have a semiauto .22 rifle that I enjoy shooting. I inherited it from my Grandfather, so a tactical gem it's not, but it shoots great.

My plan for my next purchase is a simple .270 deer rifle. I'm trying to decide on whether or not to buy a semi auto or a bolt action. Bolt action is a lot easier on the pocketbook, and I think it will better suit my needs for now. My hopes are that if TSHTF one of you boys, with your AK's & AR's, will handle the heavy lifting with the Defense and Protection. I have no military experience, so I have no idea about anything other than a hunting rifle, and I haven't even done much of that in the last 15 years.

After that, my thought is a shotgun of some sort, but I haven't thought enough about that to even know what I want yet.

I need some advice on the rifle and the shotgun. So feel free to offer any suggestions you may have.

Later,
          Jeffro

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
            I'm just getting started on my gun collection.

Right now I have the S&W .40 Sigma. I looked for a long time and liked the feel and look of it. I wanted something with knockdown power so I went with the .40 instead of a 9mm.

I also have a semiauto .22 rifle that I enjoy shooting. I inherited it from my Grandfather, so a tactical gem it's not, but it shoots great.

My plan for my next purchase is a simple .270 deer rifle. I'm trying to decide on whether or not to buy a semi auto or a bolt action. Bolt action is a lot easier on the pocketbook, and I think it will better suit my needs for now. My hopes are that if TSHTF one of you boys, with your AK's & AR's, will handle the heavy lifting with the Defense and Protection. I have no military experience, so I have no idea about anything other than a hunting rifle, and I haven't even done much of that in the last 15 years.

After that, my thought is a shotgun of some sort, but I haven't thought enough about that to even know what I want yet.

I need some advice on the rifle and the shotgun. So feel free to offer any suggestions you may have.

Later,
            Jeffro
            Instead of the 270, how about a 308? Just my opinion.

Comment

How much ammo do you guys stock? I have a friend who is working towards at least 1000 rounds per weapon. That's easy for a .22, but gets difficult with everything else. And if you stock 1000 rounds per weapon what do you when it's time to bug out? It would be near impossible to walk off with 3-5 thousand rounds.

Later,
              Jeffro
              I have 260 rounds of 30 carbine. 1500 rounds of .22, 200 rounds of 308, 350 rounds of 7.62 x 39, 100 rounds of .410, 100 rounds of 12 guage, 500 rounds of .38's. All except the .22 and the shotgun rounds are handloads. If/When I gotta leave, it will not all go with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustyshakelford View Post
                I have 260 rounds of 30 carbine. 1500 rounds of .22, 200 rounds of 308, 350 rounds of 7.62 x 39, 100 rounds of .410, 100 rounds of 12 guage, 500 rounds of .38's. All except the .22 and the shotgun rounds are handloads. If/When I gotta leave, it will not all go with me.
                What would go with you?

And why the .308 instead of the .270?

Comment

My BoB loadout....

As far as the house goes....I have enough.

For my BoB:

50 rds Winchester 9mm Luger Premium 115gr JHP
                  100 rds Winchester 9mm Luger Parabellum 115gr FMJ

50 rds Winchester SuperX 12g heavy game shot
                  50 rds Federal Premium Barnes Expander Tipped 12g slug
                  50 rds Estate Crtridge 12g buckshot.

2000 rds .177 cal pellets (HP, MP, CT)

For my wife's BoB:

50 rds Winchester 9mm Luger Premium 115gr JHP
                  100 rds Winchester 9mm Luger Parabellum 115gr FMJ

For my daughter's BoB:

500 rds Winchester SuperX .22LR cal 37gr HP
                  "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

Comment

What would go with you?

Smaller, easier to "liberate" if needed and a greater choice of firearms. If I remember correctly the 740 is one of the small handfull of semi auto 270's.

I would carry the FN FAL in 308, wife would get the AK, kid would get the M-1 carbine, and I have a take apart .22/.410 survival rifle in the pack, and I would carry the S&W model 686 in .38/.357 in my holster. If I had room I would grab the bolt action .22.

But that is just me. I say you get what makes you happy, and carry it and get good with it, and learn to appreciate it.
                    Last edited by Rustyshakelford; 12-23-2008, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Jeffro,
                      I am with Rusty on the .308 over the .270. Mainly because it is a millitary round thus it is easier to stockpile large amounts of ammo for it. In other words it is cheaper per round, and it may be easier to secure some battlefield pick ups for it...

The .308 is probably one of the most studied of the sniper rounds in history. So if you do your part with the weapon the bullet will go where you want!

As for a rifle, semi-autos are great but can get pricey. Since you like the idea of a bolt gun, I would go for a Savage 110 in .308 with the accutrigger. IMHO they are one of the best rifles on the market.

Shotgun... simple... if you are right handed... Remington 870... if you are a lefty or like the safety on the back of the reciever Mossberg 500 or 590...

later,
                      ZA

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to
                      beat you to death with it because it is empty.

The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

Comment

What would go with you?

have you considered 30/06? alot of surplus ammo and tons of rifles are chambered for it (the remington 7400 is nice). You need to find one that suits you.
                        Just my 2cents....
                        Acta non verba

Comment

I have brothers and a sister within a few hours of me, and they don't keep any firearms. I use this as an excuse to collect what I would collect anyway. They have been informed of what resides in their bags... complete with ONE box of ammo for each firearm...they need to stock up on the rest.
                          I have a few mini 14's, AR's, and several .223 bolt actions (keep the same caliber)...several 10/22's as well as other .22lr long guns. I've built a HD Remington 870 for each sibling, as well as one for me and the wife. 9each .22 pistols, (MKII's MKIII's, Buckmark, P22, Taurus 94/941, and a S&W 422). For centerfire handguns I stick with 9mm, .357 and .45acp...4 XD45's, 2 XD9's, 3 Ruger SR9's, GP100, and SP101....the old stand-by "country-boy assualt rifles" are Marlin 336 in 35rem., Marlin 1894 44mag, Puma M92 in .44mag and .357.
                          Ammo...
                          250 rounds of 00 buckshot
                          500 rounds of 7-1/2 Shot
                          200 rounds of 12 ga Turkey Load
                          1500 rounds of .223 (not enough)
                          500 rounds of .45acp
                          900 rounds of 9mm
                          100 rounds of .44mag
                          52,000 rounds of Federal .22lr (excellent trade item in SHTFS)
                          Lots of .357/9mm/45/223 brass

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald_THM View Post
                            have you considered 30/06? alot of surplus ammo and tons of rifles are chambered for it (the remington 7400 is nice). You need to find one that suits you.
                            Just my 2cents....
                            Man I love the '06 round. It is without a doubt my favorite. But, alas, I went with the 308 due to the avalability of reloading brass. Remember too, that a lot of the '06 (Greek, Korean) is mildly corrosive and is usually Berdan primed (non-reloadable).

Comment

Tomorrow, I am going down and will put a pistol I always wanted, on layaway. I found a 70's era Belgian Hi-Power. I swore I would never buy an auto pistol, and have always hated the 9mm round, but the moment I picked up the Hi-Power, I had to have one!!
                              Sweet Rusty! I wish I could find one!

later,
                              ZA

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to
                              beat you to death with it because it is empty.

The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

Comment

Man I love the '06 round. It is without a doubt my favorite. But, alas, I went with the 308 due to the avalability of reloading brass. Remember too, that a lot of the '06 (Greek, Korean) is mildly corrosive and is usually Berdan primed (non-reloadable).
                                that darn corrosive ammo strikes AGAIN!!!
                                Acta non verba

Comment

Working...
                                X