Dual duty same caliber rifle and handgun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

charliefox
    What is your opinion of the Marlin? I am looking for a lever action in 357 and have found very little feedback on any of them. What I really want to know is how well does it handle cast bullets.

Comment

I own 3 lever action Marlins(none in .357 though, thinking of getting one). Marlin makes a great rifle and have never had any problems. They will also take anything I reload, even some somewhat hot or light loads. Never had any issues with the bullets I have used and I'll try almost anything....used many different cast.
      He who lives with the most toys, wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter209 View Post
        charliefox
        What is your opinion of the Marlin? I am looking for a lever action in 357 and have found very little feedback on any of them. What I really want to know is how well does it handle cast bullets.
        Anecdotally speaking, this gun is the sweetest to shoot out of all my collection! It feeds smoothly and the action is very smooth. I have fired everything through it from 148 gr wadcutters to 180 gr hunting loads (NOT fun) without any issues with the gun or downrange (however it is fun to watch the wadcutters trundle out of the barrel). From my understanding Marlins hold up well to cast bullets. I can't find anything in the owners manual or on their website that discourages their use. YMMV, but I probably wouldn't shoot a ton of them, but they shouldn't be too detrimental. Good luck!
        Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Comment

Thanks, now all I have to do is find one.

Comment

I also have a SUB2K in .40 to go w/ my G23. Great package.

Anyone else have a Marlin in .357 to go w/ a wheel gun? I've never shot cast out of it, but have put a few hundred 38+P's jacketed down the tube. You get one extra round with 38's vs .357's. It's a little difficult to load for me as I have fat fingers, and almost impossible if wearing gloves. It's difficult to cycle if wearing "work" gloves, not so much if wearing "operator" gloves.
            Last edited by badkarma; 06-13-2011, 08:36 AM.
            surviveinthesuburbs.blogspot.com

Comment

My Sub2K is set up for my Glock in 9mm. Its a great little gun for carrying in places you may need to reach beyond pistol range with accuracy (I suck with my pistol after 25 yds).
              Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Comment

I have a marlin 1894c in .357 and love it. I took to white tails with it this year. DRT! I carry a snub nosed .38 with it while in the woods. I am looking for the right DA pistol in .357 mag to go with it. I know a lot of guys who use the cast bullets without a problem. Just clean and de-foul more often.

Comment

I'm lookin for a Marlin .44mag to go with my Ruger Super Black Hawk.
                  G.I.H.S.O. Going In Hot, Safety Off.

Comment

I wish Ruger would come out with a .45 carbine that takes P90/ P345 mags. Along the lines of the PC4, but without the weight slide built into the stock. More like the Marlin camp carbine.
                    I like my Keltec/Glock, and Beretta CXStorm/92 combos. I am surprised Keltec hasn't released a .45 Sub 2000.

Comment

who makes a 12ga pistol to go with this?...

Live like you'll die tomorrow, learn like you'll live forever.

Comment

that looks like dual mag tubes oh please lord tell me it is either way it is too cool for words
                        NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO

Comment

Originally posted by Iron mike View Post
                          that looks like dual mag tubes oh please lord tell me it is either way it is too cool for words

Keltec's KSG-1....14+1 rounds...switch from mag tube to mag tube.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/news/pr...ec-shotgun-ksg
                          Live like you'll die tomorrow, learn like you'll live forever.

Comment

saw another post about this thought I would bump
                            NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO

Comment

If I'm going to lug around a longarm, it's going to be capable of doing things that I can't do with handgun rds. 223 for me, and a pocket 9mm, since the pistol doesn't amount to a hill of beans, once everyone's got a longarm.

Comment

Working...
                              X