Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hubste5
    replied
    I debated scoping mine, decided I'd leave open sights. I have several .22's that are scoped, longer barrels tree rat liberators. The 10-22 is my small sleek easy carry keep-it-simple pal. If I'm heading through the woods just knocking around, I'll grab it -- oh but it will handily free a tree rat from his arborial prison, as necessary... I really love my 10-22. In a SHTF situation, scopes could be a liability. Another part to break, lose adjustment, tends to catch vines and limbs, lens is reflective. I know you snipers are scoffing, but I want all my guns (and me) to shoot well without scopes first, then scope as necessary! But alas, this is turning to a semi-hijack, apologies... back to that sweet 10-22 you're building!

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    Wally World sells a Winchester quick-release sling with an integrated thumb loop for 20 bucks that I think is awesome...I got three of 'em and I'd swear by the quality and comfort....they also have quick-release swivel clips....

Leave a comment:

• kenno
    replied
    Last night I was seriously concidering buying a Williams peep sight @ 60.00 because my factory sights are trashed, however I would loose the ability to instal a tacticool scope so I opted for replacement Tru-Glow sights @24.00 instead. I took the Little Black Stick out to the woods again today and walked around for 3 hours on old logging trails. I discovered that my single point sling was too long and that the factory sling swivels rattle as I walked so I will elemate those problems soon. I also discovered that the Flectar Woodland pattern is too dark for conifer forests so I will be tweaking the colors to blend in with a conifer/pine palette when I do paint the little beast.

Leave a comment:

• Awesome
    replied
    Looks sweet

Leave a comment:

• kenno
    replied
    I hope to have the up-grades complete in 10 days or so, I have a Tac-scope for it but may switch to a Holo sight. When the weather warms enough I'll paint the black stick an earth friendly green and brown Flectar!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kenno; 12-14-2009, 11:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    No doubt, K, that's a sweet lookin' skeeter stick, and the upgrades sound nice.....BTW, you'd asked in another thread about cheapo sight from SG....my opinion: the only real difference between a high end sight and a cheapo is durability...I keep cheapos on all my rigs, and nicer ones in my armorer's kit....no need bangin' up the goodies 'till D day :D ....

I usually get great usage outta the bangers from SG, until I abuse one accidentally or they get wet, etc...then I' only out fifty bucks....YMMV....

Leave a comment:

• hubste5
    replied
    very nice... I bought mine about 15 years ago from Wally World, SS with green laminate stock,which I quickly boxed and replaced with a black synth (cheapo) knock-around stock. Last year I put in the VolgXXXX (long word) hammer (trigger) upgrade along with the gizmo that allows the bolt to go forward from a simple pullback, instead of working the little button-lever under the trigger group. That hammer made it REAL sweet. I have to give the "warning" if I put it in someone elses hand... that trigger is quick!

Love the looks of yours, that pistol grips looks like the bomb! :cool:

Leave a comment:

• kenno
    started a topic Happy-Fun-Time 10-22

Happy-Fun-Time 10-22

Happy-Fun-Time Carbine walk and gun
    About a gazillion years ago I purchased a used 10-22 and plinked away with it untill it bored me. A decade ago I up-graded it with a BIG scope and a target trigger. the better to shoot sand rats with. I ran out of sand rats and put the rifle in the back of a closet gathering dust. Last month I watched a Nuthinfancy vid on YouTube called Run-N-Gun where they used 10-22s with Tapco Stocks as trainers for tactical carbine/pistol shoots, the really neat part is that they used steel plate spining targets. Hearing the bullets hit those plates did something to me and I ordered some gear to make my own Tactical 10-22.
    Today I went-out (and observing all due safety precautions) set-up my plate spinner targets and, using my revamped 10-22 proceeded to have a blast! The sound of bullets slapping metal as I aimed and fired at a walk was intoxicating.
    My Choate pistol grip stock, which matches my Mini, completely changed the Ruger's demeanor, with the single point sling it now acted like an AR! I had several extended mags I'd bought 17 years ago so I started performing mag changes and other drills as well as situational awareness and sight picture disipline.
    I fired through light vegitation, used my vechicle for cover, fired left and right handed in the sitting, kneeling and prone even Urban Prone position and I was hitting my 2" targets at 50 feet. At the end of the day I had a big smile on my face! At last training that was low noise, low recoil, fun and did not break the bank! I am waiting for a verticle fore grip and some internal parts to make it even more AR like. Add a time element and this would make a great family or group event.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kenno; 12-13-2009, 08:00 PM.
Working...
X