X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slowz1k
    replied
    Originally posted by ElCid View Post
    Crazy. Last time i sighted in my Rem. 700 SPS in .223, i set-up a 1/2 peice of plywood in front of a big construction dumpster. The dumpster sat in front of an old RV. After taking 5 shots at around 100 yards, every round went through the plywood, through both sides of the metal dumpster, and through both ends of the RV into the woods behind it. I was using cheap ammo too.
    I'm shocked that your test yielded those results with the .223.
    I tend to question these reults as well. Granted you may have been pushing much more muzzle velocity from your 700. (AVKing doesn't mention barrel length of rifle used for testing) but I've seen others do similar tests with the same loads wih very different results.
    Here is a link to a test using many different rounds against drywall and 3/4 inch pine boards. In this scenario a .22LR pistol firing hollowpoints penetrated 6 5/8 inch sheets of drywall sans framing and insulation.
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm

Twelve pine boards penetrated by 5.56 (XM-193)

Last edited by slowz1k; 08-12-2011, 10:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Scottishblacksmith
    replied
    I would have to say that you have a very good arsenal as well. I would , as suggested, buy reloading eguipment for the centerfire rifles you own first. Experiment, SAFELY, by following reloading manuals and see if you can come up with a few that work well in your guns for different uses! I also would plan ahead to leave Cali when possible!! One thing I reciently discovered was ammo sales through the internet is NOT allowed in your state limiting yuo to what you can find in your state, therefore reloading seems to be the best solution !!

Leave a comment:

• ElCid
    replied
    Originally posted by avking View Post
    06 or 308 would not be a good home defense round, as you stated you were looking for. 5.56 or .223 should be the preferred home defense round. I have seen a couple shows and we even did some tests ourselves, and the 5.56 will only penetrate and go through one interior wall. The next wall has no penetration, so it is safer for you, the family and the neighbors. Some types of 5.56 ammo may penetrate more, but the three brands we tested did not. So, you can shoot a bad guy hiding behind a wall or door, but not the neighbor by accident.

For our test, we duplicated what we saw on TV. Drywall, framing, insulation then drywall. Built 4' x 4' sections. Placed five sections at 10' intervals, in line. Shot 45acp, 9mm, 5.56, 40sw, 308, 300 win mag, 12ga shot, 12ga slug and 12ga OO. It was a very good learning experience and did not cost anything using scrap wood and drywall.

9mm, 40sw, 5.56, 12ga shot and 12ga OO did not penetrate all the way through the five mock walls. 9mm, 5.56 & 12ga shot only penetrated one wall.

All shooting was done from 2 yards and 7 yards. Those two distances made no difference in the test results.
    Crazy. Last time i sighted in my Rem. 700 SPS in .223, i set-up a 1/2 peice of plywood in front of a big construction dumpster. The dumpster sat in front of an old RV. After taking 5 shots at around 100 yards, every round went through the plywood, through both sides of the metal dumpster, and through both ends of the RV into the woods behind it. I was using cheap ammo too.
    I'm shocked that your test yielded those results with the .223.

Leave a comment:

• TacSKS
    replied
    Originally posted by nakadnu View Post
    Hipoint makes a cheap carbine in 9mm, .40 and maybe .45. I own the 9mm and it reliably feeds round point ball ammo.
    I happened to be on Hi-Point's website this morning and they say the updated style .40 carbine will not be available until may. The .45 is expected this summer.

Leave a comment:

• nakadnu
    replied
    I would highly reccomend a Mini-14. They have gotten a bad reputation as being innacurate. I have to admit the Mini-14 is not a good target rifle but it is more than accurate enough for open sights. They are reliable and versatile and 1/2 the price of an AR. I also agree with the earlier post about lever guns. Lever actions are extremety reliable and available in a wide variety of calibers and very affordable. Also the sound of jacking a shell in the chamber may be enough to scare off any intruder with enough sense to realize what is going to happen to him, and if it does not scare him off then he has given away his true intent. A lever gun in a magnum pistol caliber is a good choice. Hipoint makes a cheap carbine in 9mm, .40 and maybe .45. I own the 9mm and it reliably feeds round point ball ammo.

Leave a comment:

• MD3C
    replied
    The Garand is a great option. Also a M1 Carbine w/10round magazine should work?
    You can get ARs, and AKs with bullet buttons being CA legal. Insert a 10 round magazine, and you're good to go.
    For all CA gun type questions try CALguns.com (I think?)
    Good luck.
    M

Leave a comment:

• Oscar Wilde
    replied
    If I'm outside the house doing the defendin' it'll be with a .308 .... ifin' I'm on the inside, an FN 12ga auto....

O.W.

Leave a comment:

• PalmettoNative
    replied
    pick up a used remington 7400 in .30-06. It comes with a four round magazine, but ten rounders are out there. I got a brand new one at walmart three years ago for under $400.

Leave a comment:

• HangFire
    replied
    I think that I'd go with the 30-06 myself. Its popular and in that configuration it'd be easier to acquire spare parts...and original Garand en-bloc clips...

Leave a comment:

• haystack
    replied
    i agree with lil bear the lever rifle in 357 is had to beat as a home defence rnd. get a lee hand press a few pounds of powder 5000 cast semi wadcutter bullets and and the like number of pistol primers and you will still have less money tied up yhan you will even with a mid range ar style rifle. its sounds like you already have a workable arsenal as it is. the 45-70 is a very versital round and can be loaded in many ways, you could invest the money you would spend on a new rifle on componets for it and have the workings for several years of shooting or defence

Leave a comment:

• Lil Bear
    replied
    I personally have 2 home defense rifles. I have a marlin .357 mag lever gun that has a 16 1/2 in barrel. It is short, light and very easy to handle. My wife and my mother ( who is 61, 5'2, 120 soaking wet) can use this rifle very easily. My second is a 12 gauge semi auto with an 18 1/2 inch barrel. Again, it is light and easy to handle even by the wife and my mother. Being 18 you do not have to worry about this yet, but your defense weapon should be usable by more than one person in the house- never know when someone else will have to watch your back or help out. JMHO

Leave a comment:

• Truesonofliberty
    replied
    cwi555

I would agree that .308 being a NATO round that there is probably more of it world wide. But do you think there is more of it in the hands of private citizens than 30.06?

I mean nearly everyone I know has an old 30.06 for deer or elk hunting.

I mean if the SHTF and you are bartering or looking for ammo in the suburbs or such do you really think you will be more likely to find .308 ammo?

Just a question.

Leave a comment:

• kenno
    replied
    Read "The Shotgun in Combat" a bit dated, but the home defense penetration tests are thurough

Leave a comment:

• prkchp76
    replied
    thxs viking our little heated discussion was over the easy accessabilty of 308 over 06 so to let him have his momenty i just switched calibers all together but yes i agree 556 or #8 birdshot all day long

Leave a comment:

• avking
    replied
    06 or 308 would not be a good home defense round, as you stated you were looking for. 5.56 or .223 should be the preferred home defense round. I have seen a couple shows and we even did some tests ourselves, and the 5.56 will only penetrate and go through one interior wall. The next wall has no penetration, so it is safer for you, the family and the neighbors. Some types of 5.56 ammo may penetrate more, but the three brands we tested did not. So, you can shoot a bad guy hiding behind a wall or door, but not the neighbor by accident.

For our test, we duplicated what we saw on TV. Drywall, framing, insulation then drywall. Built 4' x 4' sections. Placed five sections at 10' intervals, in line. Shot 45acp, 9mm, 5.56, 40sw, 308, 300 win mag, 12ga shot, 12ga slug and 12ga OO. It was a very good learning experience and did not cost anything using scrap wood and drywall.

9mm, 40sw, 5.56, 12ga shot and 12ga OO did not penetrate all the way through the five mock walls. 9mm, 5.56 & 12ga shot only penetrated one wall.

All shooting was done from 2 yards and 7 yards. Those two distances made no difference in the test results.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X