No announcement yet.

long ranged weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im not trying to be an ass but bayou and saws answers are the type im looking for. :)
    Honey its just the cats, Put that @#$%ing thing away!

Comment

Neverknow

Have you considered a Remington SPS Tactical or PSS. I'd purchase one of these and install an HS Precision Stock, bypod, quality scope and call it good. You can do this setup for a whole lot less than $2800:00. If you want to get deeper into this subject I can send you a P.M. to the e-mail address you gave me.

Comment

point proven thanks bayou
        the pack that plays together stays together

Comment

Rem 700

I'm with Bayou Blaster. I own plain ass Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 with a $150 scope and can hit the head sized plate at 500 yds EVERY TIME. If spending $2800 gets you off, then by all means do so. But it ain't the gun that makes the shooter, Practice does.

Comment

Bayou lay it out for me please. Thanks
            Honey its just the cats, Put that @#$%ing thing away!

Comment

Originally posted by neverknow View Post
              Bayou lay it out for me please. Thanks
              P.M. to your personal e-mail shortly my friend.;)

Let me know when you get it.
              Last edited by Bayou Blaster; 11-16-2009, 11:35 PM.

Comment

What's the hurt feelings all about, just grab a 7mm rem mag and give it a 6.5x18x50 scope and you have for $600 a reach out and touch something type tool! Bayou, no disrespect to your imput intended you know your stuff brother. :D
                Waitnc

Comment

Originally posted by waitnc View Post
                  What's the hurt feelings all about, just grab a 7mm rem mag and give it a 6.5x18x50 scope and you have for $600 a reach out and touch something type tool! Bayou, no disrespect to your imput intended you know your stuff brother. :D
                  You got that right BB is probably the last word on ordnance around here.... :D ...best research around.....
                  "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

Comment

Originally posted by waitnc View Post
                    Originally posted by Big_Saw View Post
                    You got that right BB is probably the last word on ordnance around here.... :D ...best research around.....
                    Appreciate the compliments guy's. I'll be the first to admit I DON'T know everything when it comes to firearms, I care to mentor individuals hopefully in the right direction towards making an informed decision. I always recommend people do their own research as well.

Waitnc no disrespect taken, I've shot the 7mm Rem Mag (Belted Magnum Cartridge) through a Stainless Winchester Model 70 Classic (Pre 69 Claw/Mauser extractor) with a Browning "Boss" system. Alll I can say is :eek:. I shot this firearm while in the Arizona Desert in Wilcox. The Boss system causes an extremley loud report. The concusion/shockwave lifted the dust off the desert floor. The firearm was over 4 feet off the ground! My former hunting partner has used this firearm all over the world to take everything from Cues Whitail to Elk, Moose, Bison, Ram you name it. This is the same person who thought I was undergunned using a .308 in the desert. Go figure.

Mungo is right in that practice makes the shooter, though not all the time. Women never seem to surprise how well many of them take to firearms. For the most part they have no preconceived notions when it comes to firearms. I seen women who have never held a firearm before in their life out shoot guy's with years of trigger time. A good long arm helps alot as well:

While I may never spend the cash on a custom longarm, they do have some advantages over the off the shelf quality hunting rifles. These advantages become readily apparent when the firearm is run hard core over a prolonged period of time. The quality hunting rifle will falter to these extremes. Some Armies have seen this first hand when they have utilzed quality hunting rifles under combat conditions. For some individuals these advantages may be worth the additional investment.
                    Last edited by Bayou Blaster; 11-19-2009, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Sorry for the but in guys, but I need to address the whole caliber issue. I see the recommendation here for going to 7mm Rem. Now i agree, the 7mm is a really nice round with great balistics and enough power to knock down anything that walks on 4 or 2 legs in north america.

BUT.....in these times, when the whole works could fall down around us at any time, WHY would you want to get into a caliber that will be nearly impossible to find once TSHTF? If you have enough cash to buy several thousand rounds for storing, that is great, but otherwise, you'll be in sorry shape when the Hornady plant closes.

I have cut my calibers down to just these:
                      30-06
                      9mm
                      .45 ACP

These are the rounds that you can find at any walmart, drug store, hardware store, gas station or ditch all across the country. I Highly recommend sticking with these calibers and buying as much of them as you can afford to. They will be fantastic barter items as well when the time comes. And beleive me, the time IS coming!

Comment

Mungo

I totally agree with your coments on caliber selection, I was NOT advocating the 7mm Rem Mag for a SHTF/PAW senario. Logistics being what they are don't support the 7mm Mag, 300 Win Mag etc. Unless like you said someone can afford to "buy several thousand rounds". Personally I would have added 12 GA shotgun shells and maybe 7.62 x39mm to the list.

Comment

Thanks Bayou. I did indeed leave out my 12 ga. and 20 ga. And with those it is important to have ones that take 2 3/4" as well as 3" shells. Versatility is the key!

Comment

Originally posted by Mungo View Post
                            Thanks Bayou. I did indeed leave out my 12 ga. and 20 ga. And with those it is important to have ones that take 2 3/4" as well as 3" shells. Versatility is the key!
                            Got those bases covered as well, BTW welcome to the forum.

Comment

Thanks. I think I'm going to like it here.

Comment

Originally posted by Mungo View Post
                                Thanks. I think I'm going to like it here.
                                F*ckin'-A....You'll fit right in with us "White male Christian racist anarchist paranoid capitalist gun-hoarding crack-head sociopaths" just fine :D

Wait....technically, I'm not 100% "white".........shit................can I still be in the gun club?

(Obviously, I jest.......somewhat :) )
                                "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

Comment

Working...
                                X