X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big_Saw
    replied
    Progress....

Got the stock in...it came in two pieces (top forestock and main stock), plus a small bag with various phillips head machine bolts, nuts and 4 picatinny rails (1 seven inch and 3 two inch)....it also comes with 5 (yes, 5) swivel mount bolts...a 1/4" shim for raising the butt, accommodating higher scopes...

Removing the rifle from the original stock is so easy a caveman can do it....just insert a screwdriver into the hole at the rear of the trigger guard and pry it out from the rifle...then the trigger assy should just pop right out of the stock and the main body will also pull out....then just follow the easy-cheezy instructions in the box all the way to victory....

I left the 7" top rail off the forestock because, c'mon, it's plastic....you gonna mount an optic on a plastic rail?.....plus it gives the rifle an unbalanced, "busy" appearance and adds yet one more snag-o-matic to your rig....

In order to install the scope rail I have, I had to remove the rear ghost ring sight....notice I set the keeper screw back into it's home....the sight body will be stored in my armorer's kit I keep in my tac vest, in case I should ever need to revert to iron sights (scope failure, etc.)....some scope rails do not require removal of the rear sight, but I've used this model before and approve of it, so your mileage may vary...not sure what kind of rail you used, Kenno, but this baby's all solid aluminum and has worked well for me in the past....when my scope comes in, I'm considering sawing off the rear portion of the rail to reinstall my rear sight, if possible...

Still waiting on the scope and foregrip, but I'm sure they'll be here before the wrinkles.....

Add a good sling (removed the ridiculous front sling ring and redrilled hole to accept quick-release sling pin), and shove a bore snake and small bottle of oil into the butt, and she's almost ready to hump... :D

Leave a little bit of your snake to hang out for easy removal of your cleaning kit...

To be continued.....
    Last edited by Big_Saw; 10-25-2009, 06:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kenno
    replied
    Warning!

I recently installed the above scope base on my ranch rifle and discovered that the allen head screws are JUNK! The recess for the allen wrench was off-center on each screw and the screw is very soft metal resulting in stripped heads! Replace the screws BEFORE you install the base.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kenno; 10-24-2009, 04:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    I'll post pics of the entire process when the new stuff comes in.....should be this weekend.....

Leave a comment:

• greenmountainboy
    replied
    If you don't mind me asking, are you happy with that stock. Was it easy to swap over or did you need to have a gun smith do it. Also, how much was that magazine, and have you used it much, does it work well etc. As you can guess, I also have a ruger mini 14 ranch all weather.

Leave a comment:

• kenno
    replied
    Stocks?

BS keep me posted on the stocks and accuracy upgrades.

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    Originally posted by David M. View Post
    How's the accuracy of the newer Minis? My brother had a older one that would never group well enough for him. He sold it. I owned a 1970's model and never shot it before selling it.
    They still need to be accurized, like any weapon, really....but they shoot very well stock....the whippy barrels are a thing of the past, I hear...

Leave a comment:

• David M.
    replied
    How's the accuracy of the newer Minis? My brother had a older one that would never group well enough for him. He sold it. I owned a 1970's model and never shot it before selling it.

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    Edit......

I cancelled this:

....on the advice of a friend, and after fondling one of these:

....got a good deal on some more of these...in 20 rnd:

....a new:

...and a:

.....for starters.......still plan on a fore grip, but am undecided on a particular one yet....

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    Originally posted by kenno View Post
    My friend got his dad's Rem 742 which would not group below 7"@100. He found a gunsmith in Michicagan that specialized in 742's and Mini-14's.
    Anyway my friend sent his 742 to the guy and it now shoots 1 [email protected]
    I do not have the link but if you enter accurize 742 and mini-14 he should pop-up. The guy makes an entire line of excelent upgraded Mini-14s!
    Thanks K.....I'll check it out.....

Leave a comment:

• kenno
    replied
    A gunsmith

My friend got his dad's Rem 742 which would not group below 7"@100. He found a gunsmith in Michicagan that specialized in 742's and Mini-14's.
    Anyway my friend sent his 742 to the guy and it now shoots 1 [email protected]
    I do not have the link but if you enter accurize 742 and mini-14 he should pop-up. The guy makes an entire line of excelent upgraded Mini-14s!

Leave a comment:

• prkchp76
    replied
    you suck i envy thee

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    Originally posted by prkchp76 View Post
    nice gun bs you gonna take it to school too would be nice to qualify with that one too
    Nah...scholl allows only BA rigs...Damocles had to fight tooth and nail to get his PSG1 admitted.....guess nobody wanted to really question a $15,000.00 platform that's been proven worldwide......

Got one of these:

And one of these:

Leave a comment:

• prkchp76
    replied
    nice gun bs you gonna take it to school too would be nice to qualify with that one too

Leave a comment:

• firemanphob
    replied
    I bought one of the stainless all weather ranch rifle varients a few months back and I love it. Haven't done anything to it but put a sling and a nikon 3x9 scope on it.
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• tony
    replied
    sweet... what kind of goodies?

I'm in love with the Amega Scout Rail.
    http://www.thecountryshed.com/mini-1...ail_mounts.htm
    Last edited by tony; 10-15-2009, 08:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X