X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kenno
    replied
    Thanks BB
    I have been to the gunsmith's website before, I like his work but don't have that kind of money.
    As to the $120 H-Bar I'll install a $26 Leapers Trirail and a $50 flash hider instead. The M-1 Carbine sight looks great, I'll have to find one.
    I'll spring the $100 for a trigger job/buffer and call it good.

Leave a comment:

• Bayou Blaster
    replied
    Originally posted by kenno View Post
    BS whats your source on the recoil buffer and other parts?
    OK I did a web search and came-up with PerfectUnion.com,,they have the most excelent section on Ruger Minis I've ever seen!
    One fellow, Z-Man, posted a thread 7 years ago on his Mini-14 RR Project gun, it originaly shot 7" MOA groups, after some reasonably inexpensive mods it shot sub-MOA (from a machine rest)!
    #1 The main lessons learned is that a muzzle break will reduce group size by up to 50% to 3.5" (adds barrel mass, reduces whip)
    #2 cut barrel to 17.25" (with-out muzzel break, reduce group size to 1.75" (stiffens barrel)
    #3 glass bed action (ridgidity reduces movement and whip)
    #4 Trigger job
    #5 Cyro treat barrel (reduces muzzel whip)
    #6 recalibrate gas bushing and shim OP rod/piston interface (reduce recoil and bolt slam)
    #7 Correct bullet weight and loading for rifleing twist rate
    At the end of his test he was shooting .5 MOA (from machine Rest)!
    He did not mention recoil buffers but at $14 a pop a person could afford to try one!
    The
    One other fellow, instead of paying $200 for an Accubar bought a $26 Leapers UTG Trirail mount and using (laser/flashlight rings?) attached a 6" 3/8th inch socket extension under his mini barrel and achieved an impressive reduction in group size!
    Kenno

Of interest you may want to look at these sites/threads as well:

http://xcolony.com/x/showthread.php?t=3103

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/showthread.php?t=43581

http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.co...ccessories.php

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    OK I did a web search and came-up with PerfectUnion.com,,they have the most excelent section on Ruger Minis I've ever seen!
    One fellow, Z-Man, posted a thread 7 years ago on his Mini-14 RR Project gun, it originaly shot 7" MOA groups, after some reasonably inexpensive mods it shot sub-MOA (from a machine rest)!
    #1 The main lessons learned is that a muzzle break will reduce group size by up to 50% to 3.5" (adds barrel mass, reduces whip)
    #2 cut barrel to 17.25" (with-out muzzel break, reduce group size to 1.75" (stiffens barrel)
    #4 Trigger job
    #6 recalibrate gas bushing and shim OP rod/piston interface (reduce recoil and bolt slam)
    He did not mention recoil buffers but at $14 a pop a person could afford to try one!
    The
    One other fellow, instead of paying $200 for an Accubar bought a $26 Leapers UTG Trirail mount and using (laser/flashlight rings?) attached a 6" 3/8th inch socket extension under his mini barrel and achieved an impressive reduction in group size!
    Yeah I saw the same forum...great info.....I did have the barrel cryoed, and a trigger job I did myself.....as for the strut, I learned that the reason my issue didn't have one was simple: The 580 series with the thicker, tapered barrels don't need 'em...nor is there any noticeable difference w/a muzzle brake....

As for the recoil buffer, it's cheap and cuts way down on target reacquisition during sustained fire.....I sighted the red dot in at 75 yds and the laser at 25 yds....optimal semi-auto battle ranges, respectively.....

At around 100yds (in my opinion, a bit outside medium active range), I was gettin' around a 3 to 4 MOA....and I think mostly due to the non-telescopic scope...plenty good for battle without turning my rig into an anchor.....

I got the 6pk of buffers at the local armorer for barter (fixed a sink trap), and had him cryo the rig.......

Leave a comment:

• kenno
    replied
    #4 Trigger job
    The
    Last edited by kenno; 11-06-2009, 07:02 PM. Reason: Did web search

Leave a comment:

• Pioneer
    replied
    Originally posted by Big_Saw View Post
    I'm of a divided mind....you'll know what I want you to know.....the rest is practically fiction... ;)
    Nuff Said!

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    Originally posted by Pioneer View Post
    I'm sure I'm not the first one to think about this, but I find it quite difficult to let anyone know what guns I have. I figure the Government knows, with all my background checks but to publicly announce what I have just doesn't seem all that reasonable. :confused:
    I'm of a divided mind....you'll know what I want you to know.....the rest is practically fiction... ;)

Leave a comment:

• Pioneer
    replied
    I'm sure I'm not the first one to think about this, but I find it quite difficult to let anyone know what guns I have. I figure the Government knows, with all my background checks but to publicly announce what I have just doesn't seem all that reasonable. :confused:

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    Jam check at the hill....

Will it jam? Only one way to find out.....put a full mag of the cheapest ammo on earth through, as fast as you can.......

http://www.youtube.com/user/schzoidm.../1/nYq9VE-mQ-E

...nope.....not one jam in 500rnds......... :D

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    My lucky day....I picked up a Tang Down vertical foregrip today fer $9.....not bad....and my scope & laser came in, so as soon as my foregrip and 90 rnd snail mag arrive, she'll be complete.....yeehaw....

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    Oh, yeah....BTW, for those of you wanting a rating on the stock: no complaints...I like the feel of this platform WAY better than the Tapco Fusion rig I was using aboard ship...can't tell you what a difference it makes to go from an M249-style grip to a nice, finger-molded one...The stock is rear-heavy, which balances the front-heavy rifle well...The stock pivot feels so tight in the traditional position, you'd swear it was a milled, rather than molded, joint....while this stock allows firing while folded, I'd recommend against using the forward-folded butt as a foregrip....I tried it, and it's not quite tight in this position ('bout a 1/4" play)...get a fixed foregrip, for sure....

The butt extension release is very smooth and easy to operate, and it stays where you put it...I'm rather long-armed, so I have mine fully extended, which is nice because it allows for ample storage in the butt tube....the cheek rest also adjusts up or down 1/2" with the turn of four phillips screws....

The weight of the weapon is not readily distinguishable from the weight before the conversion, though I suspect a few ounces have been added....just not enough to realistically notice....or care, for that matter...

All in all, I'm 100% satisfied and would recommend the ATI to anyone wanting a solid, rattle-free folder at a very good price....I paid $99 at Cheaper Than Dirt......If it was a $200 stock, I'd say it was worth it....

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    Took it w?me to the range today and popped a coupla hundred whilst the last set of pistol quals were goin'on.....used one of my old Tasco High Counrty scopes, 'cuz I'm STILL WAITING for my new tac scope... :rolleyes: ...NEwayz, after a boresight and a few zero shots at 100, my tightest 5 shot groups were around 2 MOA, and my loosest was a whopping 4......I consider this waaaay accurate enough for MBR, and that's without a recoil buffer, accu-rod, harmonic dampener, muzzle brake, flash suppressor....should I go on? I'll end up throwing a buffer in anyway, just because it cuts down on rod wear and extends weapon life expectancy....I think Ruger's done enough to fix the problems of old with the mini......

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    I'll have to buy some ball ends. my metric allen wrenches probably come from china
    cool thing about ball-ends is if you don't have the wrench seated fully, or if it's not perfectly straight, it'll still either bite fully into the slot edges or slip out without chewing up the slot walls... ;) I think I picked up my last set at Lowe's for around $29....

Here's a decent set fur under 10 bucks: http://www.google.com/product_url?q=...hl=en&sa=title

Leave a comment:

• kenno
    replied
    I'll have to buy some ball ends. my metric allen wrenches probably come from china

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    My scope base is a NcStar
    Mine, too......never had the issue with the soft bolts, though, and I've had maybe a dozen NcS rails.....maybe you got a lemon? I cranked this one down HARD without slippage......were you using the cheezy allen wrench provided or your own tool? Point of advice: Always avoid allen wrenches included in kits........I use only jointed, ball-end allens....they never strip in a decent head.....

Leave a comment:

• kenno
    replied
    My scope base is a NcStar

Leave a comment:

Working...
X