How much Ammo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post
    I know when I went thru Navy boot in '91 they had 1911's choked down to .22lr but when I went thru the range was closed for reconstruction so we didn't shoot anything there. I don't think they did any rifle there. When I got to A school we did first quals with old ass M16A1's then in the battalion we qual'd with our M16A2E3. I just remember them drilling us on take down and assembly and cleaning them over and over to the point you could do it blindfolded and there'd be no way you couldn't know how to clean an AR. Guess the fly boys were different...
    Country,

Easy with that OLD ASS thing on M16A1's. LOL! That's all we had when I enlisted. I know I'm getting old. LOL! M16A2's were just being issued when I was half way through my second tour. I was able to field strip my M16A1 blind folded and reassemble it, plus the function check in under 2 minutes. Seems like another life time ago I qualified expert with the M16A1, M203, M60, M249, 1911 Colt, MP5SD and the M21 sniper system. The M24 was still a dream when I went through sniper school. All of my NCO's and instructors were Vietnam vets, All with there CIB's and many of them had been special forces or special operations. They were the greatest teachers I ever had!

Umm.. News flash for you.. Anyone who runs around shooting and being shot at is considered a Rambo by guys who wear lab coats.

My danger levels were measured in Rads, Rems, and Volts, and occasionally PSI... and they were all very predictable.

Back in my days, the service only had three types.. You're either a geek, a Rambo, or a pencil pusher.. I was a geek.. you're a Rambo.

Murphy,

Back in my day calling an operator a Rambo was a major insult and usually an invite to a blood letting. I've never fired a weapon that wasn't in self defense or complying with mission orders, but I have run for my life a couple of times. Once for 96+ hours through jungle. I should have died that day and would have if not for a heavy monsoon rain that washed our tracks away. The brothers I've buried were not Rambo's. They were professional soldiers following the orders of there commanders and doing what our country asked. Rambo complained about the country. Our country never even knows operators exist or that we die. Doing both without complaint.

Please, I would request that you not refer to me as Rambo.

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalewick View Post

Murphy,

Back in my day calling an operator a Rambo was a major insult and usually an invite to a blood letting. I've never fired a weapon that wasn't in self defense or complying with mission orders, but I have run for my life a couple of times. Once for 96+ hours through jungle. I should have died that day and would have if not for a heavy monsoon rain that washed our tracks away. The brothers I've buried were not Rambo's. They were professional soldiers following the orders of there commanders and doing what our country asked. Rambo complained about the country. Our country never even knows operators exist or that we die. Doing both without complaint.

Dale
      +100%

Dale, thank you for this, and for your service.

(Hattip)
      Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 10-06-2018, 12:36 AM.
      Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

Murphy,

Dale
        There was no insult intended by my post or by the labels (slang) we applied back in those days.. While I'm certainly no expert in these things, I pretty certain the term "Rambo" was NOT used in a derogatory way back when I was in service. (maybe that has changed?) Geek was used to describe those who used science and technical skills.. Pencil Pusher was used to describe those who managed, counted, or did paperwork.. and Rambo was used to describe true soldiers.. the kind that put their lives on the line and actually fight...

I was not a true soldier.. Even though I wore a uniform and was technically a soldier by definition, that technicality was sort of a stretch of someone's imagination.

I think the difference here is that the military service was far less refined in my time. What existed back in the 80's and early 90's is barely a shadow of what we have today.

Don't take offense, Rambo is more of a compliment from someone of my age.. although I do understand things change.

Comment

I qualified expert with the M16A1, M203, M60, M249, 1911 Colt, MP5SD and the M21 sniper system. The M24 was still a dream when I went through sniper school. All of my NCO's and instructors were Vietnam vets, All with there CIB's and many of them had been special forces or special operations. They were the greatest teachers I ever had!
          I qualified expert on M16A2 and missed expert by just a few points on 1911 and then 12ga. In battalion I was assigned to 60mm mortar crew and got to fam fire M60, Mk219, M2 and a claymore (what an eye opening experience...LOL)

Dale, I don't think Murphy meant anything negative by the Rambo comment but I know where you're coming from on how the Rambo character isn't looked on in a positive eye where as those on the outside think he's to be some super soldier. I think the term I heard used for you true bad ass MoFo's was Snake Eater. I'm humbled by what men like you and your brothers went thru to learn your skills and in the actions and deeds in which you applied them.
          I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

I qualified expert on M16A2 and missed expert by just a few points on 1911 and then 12ga. In battalion I was assigned to 60mm mortar crew and got to fam fire M60, Mk219, M2 and a claymore (what an eye opening experience...LOL)

Dale, I don't think Murphy meant anything negative by the Rambo comment but I know where you're coming from on how the Rambo character isn't looked on in a positive eye where as those on the outside think he's to be some super soldier. I think the term I heard used for you true bad ass MoFo's was Snake Eater. I'm humbled by what men like you and your brothers went thru to learn your skills and in the actions and deeds in which you applied them.
            Country,

Thank you. I'm fine with Murphy, I understand it's just a generation difference. The wife picks on me and tells me I'm getting old. I tell her, it's not the age but the mileage. LOL!

I'm not familiar with the Mk219. What was it? I personally loved claymores. We used to daisy chain 10 or more together fully covering the ambush zone for starting an ambush with a bang. The most I ever got to personally clack off was 20 in a L shaped ambush. Unfortunately, it was a water buffalo that lumbered in. We only found 2 hooves! LOL!

Yea, the snake eater thing came from having to kill and eat a snake with just our hands. I actually liked snakes before spending much time in Asia. LOL! Operator was the term being most used that I remember. But, we were still referring to CIA agents as spooks. Reagan years,...more black ops than you could throw a stick at.

I got to cross train on 60mm and 81mm mortars and found out real fast, I didn't like heavy weapons. Especially when they were on my back. LOL! I preferred the cross training in explosives and medical. I hated radios. I could use them no problem but hated the technical aspects. The equipment the guys have now, BLOWS my mind. SAT COMMS, GPS, Lasers, personal equipment and weapons, Oh my.

My personal favorite weapon system is still the MP5SD. Love my civilian version. I guess I'm a gun guy. Or, so my brother tells me and he was a jarhead. I love him anyway. LOL!

Dale

Comment

Really good slingshot ammo can be purchased here cheap. get 1/4 inch steel ball (ball bearings) for $2.58 plus shipping for a bag of 250. https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchan...21&top_cat=197
              Other sizes available also as well as stainless. Coat these in canola oil to prevent rust.

Dale
              Dale think you for that info. Great site. That will help me out as well. Prices are not bad at all.

Comment

The Mk19 (i see I got fat fingered and put a 2 in there) is the crew serve 40mm automatic grenade launcher. think it was like 40-50RPM but just this thump thump thump and watch the rounds fly down range. Cool as shit when things start popping. I'd read a story one time of some security contractors in Somalia or Bosnia where they had one mounted on top of a suburban or something. Anyway, bad guy comes out of the crowd with a Molotov or grenade or something and truck dude lights him up but since they were so close the rounds hadn't spun up enough to arm so instead Mr Baddy takes like 4 or 5 - 40mm holes thru the chest...

2 hoofs...BAHAHAHAHA LOL and I'll bet a pissed off farmer somewhere too.

I didn't do much of anything with comms besides calling in sitrep from the pits or getting fire orders. One FEX I did have to hump a PRC77 for 2 or 3 days and I decided then and there I didn't really care to learn anymore about comms, at least any that required me carrying that damn thing and spare batteries.

I'm not to to many years behind you but when I think back to where we were when I got out in '95 with our M16's, Gortex, the heating MRE's etc I thought we were the shiznit... now I look and like you said the technology at these guys fingertips is amazing. It also blows me away how our military, for 2 century's wouldn't think of giving a grunt a weapon with an optical site unless he was a sniper... now everyone has them, plus a night vision to boot. When you look at some of the other crazy technology coming down the pike like mini drones a fire team can throw up in the middle of a firefight, improvements in full body armor and advances in things like plastic cased or even caseless ammo to reduce ruck weight or to allow carrying more ammo, I'm always set back at how low tech we were. Must have been like that for the WW1 vets seeing what the guys of WW2 and Korea were fielding or even Nam with things like starlight night vision.

Comment

The Mk19 (i see I got fat fingered and put a 2 in there) is the crew serve 40mm automatic grenade launcher. think it was like 40-50RPM but just this thump thump thump and watch the rounds fly down range. Cool as shit when things start popping. I'd read a story one time of some security contractors in Somalia or Bosnia where they had one mounted on top of a suburban or something. Anyway, bad guy comes out of the crowd with a Molotov or grenade or something and truck dude lights him up but since they were so close the rounds hadn't spun up enough to arm so instead Mr Baddy takes like 4 or 5 - 40mm holes thru the chest...

2 hoofs...BAHAHAHAHA LOL and I'll bet a pissed off farmer somewhere too.

I didn't do much of anything with comms besides calling in sitrep from the pits or getting fire orders. One FEX I did have to hump a PRC77 for 2 or 3 days and I decided then and there I didn't really care to learn anymore about comms, at least any that required me carrying that damn thing and spare batteries.

I'm not to to many years behind you but when I think back to where we were when I got out in '95 with our M16's, Gortex, the heating MRE's etc I thought we were the shiznit... now I look and like you said the technology at these guys fingertips is amazing. It also blows me away how our military, for 2 century's wouldn't think of giving a grunt a weapon with an optical site unless he was a sniper... now everyone has them, plus a night vision to boot. When you look at some of the other crazy technology coming down the pike like mini drones a fire team can throw up in the middle of a firefight, improvements in full body armor and advances in things like plastic cased or even caseless ammo to reduce ruck weight or to allow carrying more ammo, I'm always set back at how low tech we were. Must have been like that for the WW1 vets seeing what the guys of WW2 and Korea were fielding or even Nam with things like starlight night vision.
                  Oh, I've seen the grenade launcher. They look really sweet but I wouldn't have wanted to carry that brute. Love the bad guy dying from 40mm holes. LOL! Wonder how they dealt with that body. I hope cremation was out. LOL!

I would bet the farmer never knew what happened to his buff. LOL! It would have lived if the farmer would have had a bell on it. We weren't exactly communicating with the locals in that particular area.

I understand hating that PRC77. I dodged being the RTO by being the M60 gunner for a short time. We very seldom took the M60 with us. Hard to run with that sucker. Our team actually would break down into 2 man teams when we would get on site and circle the objective before establishing our OPLP's. Each team was also a sniper team and one of us had to carry the M21 system and the other man carried the camera kit and spotting scopes. Even when we traveled light you might be carrying 50 to 60 pounds of gear. Including that (by todays standards) terrible PVC4. Even as grainy as the picture was from those, it was still an advantage over the people we were watching.

Most of the time our comms was to break squelch twice every 4 hours to let HQ know we were on mission and on time. Now they can push a button and send a complete SITREP in an instant from the other side of the planet. Yea, the equipment the guys have now would of had me drooling with envy. BDU's were our new thing and they have been replaced, what, twice now? I wore jungle fatigues much of the time and even had a set of tiger stipes that we used occasionally. Maybe I am getting old.

You got out in 95'. WOW, my youngest daughter was born in 95 and graduates from college this spring. Time fly's. It's nice that there are other vets on this site. Even if there are a few generation gaps. LOL!

Dale

Comment

As for how much ammo -well how much extra money do you have available? Put your extra money into it - - - because once shit happens there is no time to reorder any!

Comment

Oh, I've seen the grenade launcher. They look really sweet but I wouldn't have wanted to carry that brute. Love the bad guy dying from 40mm holes. LOL! Wonder how they dealt with that body. I hope cremation was out. LOL!

Dale
                      Indeed It's a big heavy pig of a brute and loads of moving parts and then the ammo weight! yikes... definitely not humping that bad boy thru the jungle

Comment

Working...
                      X