How much Ammo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much Ammo?

Assuming a national disaster like an EMP that takes everything out, what do you folks consider an adequate amount of ammunition?

I hear numbers all over the board, from 2000 to 100,000 rounds of 5.56..

I think I have all the ammo I need.. I reached my goal for the M4's..(or at least I think I did) but I'm curious to know if my goals are in line with most others. Again, assuming a grid down scenario that will last for several years.. and assuming that an M4 is your main weapon but by no means your only weapon, how much ammo would you store for the M4?

Originally posted by Murphy View Post
    Assuming a national disaster like an EMP that takes everything out, what do you folks consider an adequate amount of ammunition?

I hear numbers all over the board, from 2000 to 100,000 rounds of 5.56..

I think I have all the ammo I need.. I reached my goal for the M4's..(or at least I think I did) but I'm curious to know if my goals are in line with most others. Again, assuming a grid down scenario that will last for several years.. and assuming that an M4 is your main weapon but by no means your only weapon, how much ammo would you store for the M4?

As you just quoted in your other post, "Two is one, and one is none". If all of your ammo and all of your M-4 type firearms are staged at "ONE" location............you currently have zero.

The quantity of assets is less important than the physical location of those assets. If all your survival assets are staged at one location, there is the real risk of having zero survival assets.

One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

I would consider 1000 rounds per caliber a minimum, and build from there. I really don't know that you can ever have too much. Over invested maybe if your other supplies are shorted because you are buying ammunition. We have probably all seen the zillions of You Tube videos offering advice on how much to store. There are some compelling arguments for storing high numbers. I try to watch as many as possible; look for common denominators; and find some merit or some information that is useful. Just my opinion, but the 1000 rounds would be minimum, don't touch, and save for emergency number. This would also be a more expensive self defense round. Some other factors to consider:

How many people will be shooting? Is this ammo just for you, or are there other family members that will be using your stock?
      How long a period of time will you need a stockpile before things may return to normal, and you can get resupplied?
      Will the ammo all be stored in one place, or do you have multiple locations that need to be stocked? How much space do you have?
      Have you factored in a loss factor? Bad batch from the manufacturer. Won't work in your gun. Damaged during SHTF. Ask Buggy about that.
      Will you use ammo to barter?
      Will you still be using ammo to practice? How much? How long?
      Expense? Good self defense ammo is expensive. How much self defense vs. practice rounds?

When you consider some of these things what would appear to be a very large number is not nearly as large as we think. Still a personal preference
      The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

I think perhaps the reason for my question might have been misunderstood. I'm not looking for advice on how much I should store, I'm looking for statistical information. I'm not asking how much ammo I should store, and I'm not really asking how much ammo you all store.

What I'm asking is how much ammo you think is adequate.. Regardless if you actually have that much or not, I'm asking what you think is a realistic and adequate amount and why...?

Comment

As much as you can carry.

-Buggy
          I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

Regardless of how much ammo I may have, there is the possibility of eventually running out (or at least eventually coming up short). As much as I would like to be, I am not Fort Knox.

But I have this to fall back on: I love to bowhunt and have a thorough working knowledge of flintknapping, atlatls, and other primitive gear which has been a passionate hobby of mine for a few decades.

I guess I am living up to my name? lol
            Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

I think the idea of needing firearms and ammo for gunfights with humans is not going to require very much ammo. Around here anyone seen in the wilderness, dressed and armed like Infantry, would likely get shot for no good reason other then, they don't look and dress and act like they belong in the Alaska wilderness, and are likely trouble.

One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

My son in law has gotten into reloading. But like you say someday with hunting and protection you could never have enough. Grizzly is right. Need other ways to protect yourself and family as well as hunting. Bow and arrow can't be heard from far away like a gun. In some ways it could be more valuable. I haven't used a bow and arrow in many many years.. Not sure if I could do it now but might be interesting to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Sourdough View Post
                  I think the idea of needing firearms and ammo for gunfights with humans is not going to require very much ammo. Around here anyone seen in the wilderness, dressed and armed like Infantry, would likely get shot for no good reason other then, they don't look and dress and act like they belong in the Alaska wilderness, and are likely trouble.

I agree, but I like backup plans because I would hate to be totally helpless if something blew Plan A, B & C out of the water.
                  Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

This is strictly my thoughts on the subject of ammo and firearms for SHTF. I have only 4 calibers for use after a SHTF that requires hunting and possible self defense. They are the 22LR, 9MM, 5.56MM Nato (223 Rem) and 7.62MM Nato (308 Win) and I have suppressors for all of these weapons. What I will use the most is the 22LR in a bolt action rifle (suppressed) with subsonic ammo. It is a extremely quiet rifle. I try to keep on hand around 8000 rounds for it. I keep about 2000 rounds for the 9mm and 5.56mm and around 1500 rounds of 7.62mm ammo. I also use a crossbow for hunting and have a 22 caliber air rifle. Most of my hunting after a severe SHTF will actually be trapping with steel aircraft cable modern snares. With the proper knowledge and skills anything from squirrels and rabbits to black bears and white tailed deer can be taken easily with these snares. Hope this helps.

Dale

Comment

Only store enough to last the rest of your life.

Comment

Originally posted by Sourdough View Post
                        So anyone wearing camo and carrying a firearm?

Comment

Originally posted by Snyper708 View Post

So anyone wearing camo and carrying a firearm?
                          That is not close to what I stated.

Comment

Originally posted by dalewick View Post
                            This is strictly my thoughts on the subject of ammo and firearms for SHTF. I have only 4 calibers for use after a SHTF that requires hunting and possible self defense. They are the 22LR, 9MM, 5.56MM Nato (223 Rem) and 7.62MM Nato (308 Win) and I have suppressors for all of these weapons. What I will use the most is the 22LR in a bolt action rifle (suppressed) with subsonic ammo. It is a extremely quiet rifle. I try to keep on hand around 8000 rounds for it. I keep about 2000 rounds for the 9mm and 5.56mm and around 1500 rounds of 7.62mm ammo. I also use a crossbow for hunting and have a 22 caliber air rifle. Most of my hunting after a severe SHTF will actually be trapping with steel aircraft cable modern snares. With the proper knowledge and skills anything from squirrels and rabbits to black bears and white tailed deer can be taken easily with these snares. Hope this helps.

Dale
                            hmmm I'm curious, no shotgun? either for hunting or protection?
                            I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

I don't have nearly enough shotgun rounds.. I'm heavy on 5.56, 7.62 and 22lr, but I still need to add more 12ga and 20ga. One of the reasons I have procrastinated is because my buddy has a reloader for shotgun rounds, about 10 pounds of powder, and hundreds of primers.

Thanks for reminding me.

Comment

Working...
                              X