Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Keep Gun Cleaning Solution in your BOB?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Keep Gun Cleaning Solution in your BOB?

I have been looking for a small container of cleaning solution that would fit comfortably in a BOB or Get Home Bag. Does anybody keep this in a BOB? I found a really nice, small, cleaning kit, about the size and shape of a 24 hour candle, but cleaning solution wasn't part of it.

Is there a good alternative to Hoppes 9 that would be a multi use item? What does everybody else do?
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

On my AR-15's and AR-10's it is "ALL" on (or in) the rifle. The single biggest and most likely issue will be "Stuck Case" in chamber. All my AR-platform rifles have a two or three piece cleaning rod attached to the hand guard, includes "Mop" and Nylon brush. Spare Bolt and lub packets, is contained in the grip.

All cached firearms have complete cleaning kits, wrenches and screw driver sets cached with firearm.

Some have a bore-snake wrapped around the hand guard.

If the firearm has anything that uses batteries, I tape spare batteries onto the firearm. I want the firearm to have everything it could ever possibly need contained on the firearm.

I feel the same way about all gear (Stoves, Lanterns, Tents, Boots, etc.) everything it could ever need in the field is attached to the tool.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 08-07-2018, 01:03 PM.
    One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

There are many cleaning kits out in the market. The military has most of theirs inside the butt-stock as a kit. CLP is issued in small size of (super glue tubes to gallon). If you have many different weapons in your group there are multi-size cleaning kits available that go from .22 LR to 12 ga..

One tip - field strip your weapon and clean every day!!!!!!!

Comment

Asking around it seems like the best advice is to just get a small container, and keep cleaning fluid in that with your cleaning kit. I haven't been able to find a retail product that is as small as I would like. Just have to improvise and make my own.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post
          Asking around it seems like the best advice is to just get a small container, and keep cleaning fluid in that with your cleaning kit. I haven't been able to find a retail product that is as small as I would like. Just have to improvise and make my own.
          If it is an AR-type firearm, Magpul makes a real nice grip that holds your choice of either a bottle of any liquid or a replacement "Bolt".
          One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

Thanks, Sourdough. I will look that up.

Comment

You can find them for around $18.95 to $22.95 with a little shopping.

https://www.magpul.com/products/miad...rip-kit-type-2

https://www.magpul.com/firearms-acce...sr25-m110-ar10

Last edited by Sourdough; 08-13-2018, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Morg, here is what I keep in my BOB and my range bag. they have different kits for different calibers but also not the small tube of CLP.

https://otistec.com/msr-ar-cleaning-kit-223-5-56mm/

Froglube is a great cleaner preservative and comes in small tubes

And lastly Ballistol, one of my favorites. Now I don't think they have a small bottle but you can buy dropper bottles many places and on line and fill it fron the can option or I love the wipes they have that are soaked almost to the point of to much but I keep a ziploc to toss it in when I'm done and get several uses from it and then a microfiber cloth to wipe excess off and even out the coating.

Hope this helps or gives you ideas. There are loads of dual purpose cleaners and protectents out there today. Even the old tried and true CLP like we used in the military

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

CG: This is perfect. The tube of Frog Lube is what I was looking for. I have a very similar kit to the one you keep in your range bag, The right size dropper bottle is also a good option. I have been partial to Shooters Choice, but I really can't find anything in a small enough container for a BOB.

Comment

I have the Otis tactical cleaning kit and it includes lube. It's smaller than a baseball and cleans everything from 22LR to 12Ga shotguns and even 50 caliber size barrels. I also keep a boresnake with every weapon.

Dale
                    Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

Working...
                    X