Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sourdough View Post

I like your set-up.

have the same set-up.......pretty much. But with 12.5" BBL. in .308 Win.

I live with a lot of Grizzly Bears (Actually Coastal Brown Bears).
    With a 12.5" barrel what kind of effective range do you get? I've dealt with 2 grizzlies that were killing cattle many years ago and I'm not sure I'd want to deal with an aggressive grizzly with a 308 Win. They are bad Mojo.

Dale
    Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

Originally posted by smelt
      Dont shoot at them unless you can reliably brain them. An autoloader is a big hunk of piece of mind, cause it lets you try for the brain 4- 5x as many times in case of a charge as does any bolt action. If you brace the rifle on a tree, boulder, shooting sticks, or your pack, with a scope, a reliable brain hit is not that hard at 100m. It's a 6" circle or larger target. If you can't reliably hit that, then you also can't reliably hit a man's torso at 300m. geometry proves that.
      Have you harvested very many bears......???
      One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

Dont shoot at them unless you can reliably brain them. An autoloader is a big hunk of piece of mind, cause it lets you try for the brain 4- 5x as many times in case of a charge as does any bolt action. If you brace the rifle on a tree, boulder, shooting sticks, or your pack, with a scope, a reliable brain hit is not that hard at 100m. It's a 6" circle or larger target. If you can't reliably hit that, then you also can't reliably hit a man's torso at 300m. geometry proves that.
        As a government trapper I've dealt with a lot of black bears and other predators. I have the same question as Sourdough. Have you harvested very many bears? Especially charging bears. I'll admit, out of the 100+ bears I've trapped or shot I've only been charged by 3. They really stuck in my memory.

Dale
        Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

one. with a .22 rifle. . It was about 80 lbs, stuck in a neighbor's crawl space near Glenwood springs, CO, in 2002 I"ve had bears all around me many a time at the dump. They didn't even flee, cause they saw people all the time. They are nothing like as dangerous as people try to make them out to be, so they can pretend to be the big hero.
          An 80lbs black bear is classified as a cub. You couldn't call Fish and game? They would come and remove the bear for free and without injuring it, much less killing it.

Dale

Comment

We ate some of it. Why bother anybody about it? Wife had a 1022, and the shot behind his ear, from the rear, stiffenened him instantly. I had always wanted to try the taste of bear meat.. This one was unlikely to have been eating at the dump, at least. Wasn't particularly good meat, but of course, it would be a shame to waste it. We did wind up feeding most of it to the wife's dogs, tho.
            That makes you a poacher. I'm done with you

Dale

Comment

Nice set-up. Another option to also consider is the Ruger PC-9 and PC-4 carbines. You can set those up to use Glock pistol magazines and the same ammo as your handgun. They will give you about 150 yards of working terrain. I just got a PC-9 carbine. Both of the Ruger carbines break down into two sections. The larger section is about 20 inches long with the barrel section being about 16 inches long.

You can easily put the two sections in a shoulder mounted case to hide them until you need them. Putting the sections together is a quick, simple action as is loading it. The whole process is so easy and fast that you'll love it like I do. Now this is the NEW Ruger carbines just released in 2018. Not the old ones. When you get your carbine, it will have 2 adapters so you can opt to use either Ruger pistol magazines or switch to use Glock magazines. I'm using the Glock variant for my carbine. The switching of adapters took all of about 5 minutes for me.

I can't wait to go shoot it. I'm checking into different sights and red dots to mount on it. I'm looking at a small 4 X scope just to enhance overall accuracy in general.

But, like you, I also have an AR-15 pistol with a Shockwave arm brace mounted on it too. I figure that the AR-15 pistol will give me a lot more distance if I want it while the Ruger will be also easy to work with too. When you look at both firearms, they can both be carried in a small bag of some kind with no trouble at all. The Ruger does give you the advantage of using the same ammo and magazines as your pistol if that means anything of value to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra 173 View Post
                Nice set-up. Another option to also consider is the Ruger PC-9 and PC-4 carbines. You can set those up to use Glock pistol magazines and the same ammo as your handgun. They will give you about 150 yards of working terrain. I just got a PC-9 carbine. Both of the Ruger carbines break down into two sections. The larger section is about 20 inches long with the barrel section being about 16 inches long.

You can easily put the two sections in a shoulder mounted case to hide them until you need them. Putting the sections together is a quick, simple action as is loading it. The whole process is so easy and fast that you'll love it like I do. Now this is the NEW Ruger carbines just released in 2018. Not the old ones. When you get your carbine, it will have 2 adapters so you can opt to use either Ruger pistol magazines or switch to use Glock magazines. I'm using the Glock variant for my carbine. The switching of adapters took all of about 5 minutes for me.

I can't wait to go shoot it. I'm checking into different sights and red dots to mount on it. I'm looking at a small 4 X scope just to enhance overall accuracy in general.

But, like you, I also have an AR-15 pistol with a Shockwave arm brace mounted on it too. I figure that the AR-15 pistol will give me a lot more distance if I want it while the Ruger will be also easy to work with too. When you look at both firearms, they can both be carried in a small bag of some kind with no trouble at all. The Ruger does give you the advantage of using the same ammo and magazines as your pistol if that means anything of value to you.
                Sierra,

Thanks for the info. I already have the 9mm covered pretty well. I own a MP5 with a suppressor that is great for close in work. I built my grayman gun for very specific circumstances and it works for me. Thanks for the info.

Dale

Comment

Working...
                X