The Great Evaluator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Evaluator

About 30 years ago when I was a member of the Coastal Georgia Gun Club in Brunswick one of our members was a machinist and he came in after everyone left and wrote the CNC programs for items to be made the following day where he worked. I would go down to see him in the evening and I spotted a steel cylinder about 12" in diameter and ten feet long of solid steel and that got my curiosity up so I asked what was made from that.

He told me they cut it up in 2" thick discs and then ground a groove into it with spherical bottom of varying dimensions as they were used to extrude wire to smaller diameters. Of course they were heat treated to I think he said RC - 62???

I noted there was a couple scrap pieces (that were not 2" thick = end pieces from the whole piece) and I thought they would make nice gong targets at our gun club and he agreed and said he would heat treat them. I told him I wanted one for myself.

When I moved here after retiring I got a range set up behind house and found the disc and one day I thought I would set it up as being 1 1/4" wide it would stand on edge on its own and I started shooting at it from 25 yards and that was a real eye opener. A 9MM 115 FMJ from my Glock 17 would wobble it but not knock it over. I tried 38 Special and it would not. 357 Mag and 45 ACP would knock it right over.

Then my buddy was down and I showed him some 220 gr bullets I had cast for my 357 Mags. I was hitting the "Evaluator" from 100 yards and it went right down. He suggested we move back to 200 yards and try and hit it. I agreed and let him have the first shot at the steel disc/ I was watching with spotting scope and to my surprise he hit it first shot and the steel plate went down just as quick as it did from 25 yards with 158 gr. JHPs! ! !

Since that time that plate has been a Truth or Consequences round evaluator. The only thing that has disturbed the surface was a friend was down shooting his Barrett 50 cal and hit the plate from 600 yards. He wasn't trying to, it was just down range and I found it. The 750 gr Cal 50 left a crater about 1" wide and 3/16" deep up near the edge.

So if you guys have access to some heavy steel plate get one made up about 12" X 1 1/4" thick and give it a try.

I need to try it with a 147 gr. 9MM and see if it will knock it down.
    Distinguished Rifleman High Power , Distinguished Rifleman Smallbore Prone, Presidents Hundred (Rifle), Palma Teams Member (2), Dewar Teams Member (2), Member 4 Man National Championship Smallbore AnySight Team, Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Proving Ground , Eagle Scout, AC4HT, NRA Benefactor Member, Firefighter I, Shriner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

be damn lucky these days to get your hands on something like those bar butt ends - with the internet the scrap brokering of stuff like that is now regular biz out there ...

Comment

Stuff like this is on ebay?????
      Distinguished Rifleman High Power , Distinguished Rifleman Smallbore Prone, Presidents Hundred (Rifle), Palma Teams Member (2), Dewar Teams Member (2), Member 4 Man National Championship Smallbore AnySight Team, Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Proving Ground , Eagle Scout, AC4HT, NRA Benefactor Member, Firefighter I, Shriner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Hummer View Post
        Stuff like this is on ebay?????

check with the scrap brokers - they have pick up contracts with everyone these days .... the better ones have an inventory list and don't rely on memory anymore ....

Comment

The best visual item I used was a Small water melon at 25 yards with both a 9 mm and a 12 Ga. shotgun with 00 buck.

You first hit the melon with some 9 mm rounds then take your group down to see what happened. Nice 9 mm holes in the front and if your lucky maybe a 1/2" hole in the rear if it hits a seed inside.

Then you go back and use the 12 Ga. and shot once. balm most if it will be spread around on the ground.

It wakes people up as to what a 12 Ga. can do!!!!

When I showed this demonstration to my Captain He just said "Go with it". So I did.

Did it with my security teams in the pacific for 18 months. From that point on every USMC security detail wanted 12 Ga. shotguns for security. They used them during Gulf War I.

Comment

RICHFL, don't know about down there but watermelons up here are pricey ! ! ! ! haha.

Comment

Scrap iron and steel aren't very expensive. That would be the best place to try to find the piece you are looking for. Tell the owner what you want. Agree on a price ahead of time, and he/she will probably have something for you in a couple of days.

You could try looking for old man hole covers. The diameter might be larger but you could paint a target. Old dock plates could be cut to size. I don't know of anything in a car junk yard that would be round, but that would be the next place I looked.
              The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

If your friend said it was heat treated 62 Rc (Rockwell C scale) that was likely something like D2 or A2 tool steel. Shipping a chunk of round or similar size plate could get very pricey.

Out of curiosity I just looked on McMaster Carr and an 8" round; 1 1/2" thick piece of D2 is $130 and a 2 1/2" thick piece is $196. Plus tax and shipping which their site won't show me without an account. a chunk that size would likely be in the 30-40 pound range. Also those blanks are "soft" or pre-hard as we call it so you'd have more money into ship and heat treat (unless your lucky enough to have a local heat treat house. The soft is still going to be somewhere in probably 55-58Rc. For comparison common 4140 steel is only about 11-13Rc; 440 Stainless would be about 28-30 Rc

I would suggest you look in your local area to see if there are any tool & mold, Mold & die shops close to you or look and see if there are any plastic injection molders. the tool shops might have a chunk of scrap from an opps you could get or buy and a plastic shop might have obsolete molds that are to be scraped that maybe you can talk them into pulling it apart and giving you one of the clamp plates. though it likely is gonna have some holes or threads machined in it. Leave your name and ask them to give you a shout if they have anything that comes up for scrap but a full mold, depending on size could run from a few hundred to many thousand pounds so beware what you ask for...
                Last edited by CountryGuy; 01-13-2018, 12:21 AM.
                I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Yeah getting another piece could get real pricey real quick and then finding some place with a furnace that big would be hard. Bad part is my buddy that put it on me came down with three kinds of cancer at once and died pretty quick. Chances are the shop that made the originals no longer makes them or shut down.

Just goes to show you that old saying, "One man's trash is another man's treasures"

Comment

Working...
                  X