Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PalmettoNative
    replied
    don't forget about super colibris. for those who don't know- they are .22lr rounds without gunpowder- making them as loud as a pellet rifle. They fire from the primer pop itself. i shoot them in the garage with two different rifles and two different pistols. keep in mind though, that the pistol firing is much louder. Plus they are fun and cheap to shoot.

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    I prefer the .177 pellets in HP from Crosman for bringing down game with my Powerline 1000. They seem to travel pretty straight over about 75 yds (the optimum range for this rifle), and they remove plenty of heart, lung, or brain matter....resulting in an efficient kill. I usually harvest with either a heart or skull-base shot, an rarely have to "finish off" my game when I have a clear shot....either way, though, it's the knife and the spit for many a tasty squirrel, rabbit, etc., if you're any good with one....

Leave a comment:

• Awesome
    replied
    What do you guys think about Air rifle brands? My family has also been partial to Diana... But I don;t know much about air rifles in general.

Do you think there is much of a difference once you reach a certain level of quality?

Leave a comment:

• RossA
    replied
    My Daisy Powerline has a magazine that will hold about 100 or so BB's, or you can load pellets single shot, so it's designed for both. Maybe some don't work that way.

Leave a comment:

• Awesome
    replied
    You can really just regular BB's from a pellet gun? I would that would hurt the barrel or something?

Leave a comment:

• RossA
    replied
    If I had a preference of .177 or .22, I would have to say .177 since that will not only shoot pellets but BB's too. Versatility is good. However, as cheap as pellet/BB guns and ammo are, you could probably have both without too much trouble or cost.

Leave a comment:

• Morguns1Cam
    replied
    You cant have too many options I like to say! I have a Benjamin break barrel pellet rifle ( Super Streak) .177 cal, its rated at 1500 fps with the ultralight pellets and 1200fps with the standard 8gn pellets. I was very impressed with the power of this thing, I took a rabbit at 30yds which I thought was probably out of range and several squirrels without any problem. It is however a large gun,and heavy, Definitely an adult air gun, It does break the sound barrier with the lighter pellets. Its also available in .22 cal which should be even better. The only drawback with the .22 cal pellets is availability, you can get the .177 cal anywhere but the .22's are harder to find although they're cheap enough to lay in a good supply. I do like the pointed hunting pellets I think they penetrate better and have a higher B.C. so the velocity doesn't fall off as fast.
    When the SHTF taking small game with pellets, saving your precious ammo for larger critters only makes sense to me.
    Cam

Leave a comment:

• Awesome
    replied
    Sounds to me like an air gun is a pretty good survival weapon... effective on small game and cheap to stock up on ammo...

Besides Cowboyup65 does anyone have a preference on .177 vs .22
    Or how about the difference in ammo. Pointed/flat head

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    I have a Daisy Powerline 1000, and I hunt small game with it frequently...I usally bag more squirrels than my bud with the 20g...when I miss, I don't scare the game all to hell, and I can pack 1000 rnds in my front pocket, no prob.....

I highly recommend getting a hunting-grade break barrel pellet rifle....

Leave a comment:

• mewn
    replied
    I noticed at wallyworld today they have a beeman single cock air rifle with 2 barrels
    onein .177 and the other in .22 for $129 but I'm wondering if it is as accurate as my
    gamo

Leave a comment:

• flatline
    replied
    but if you do use one for small game use a heavy bb .25-.30 and mode your gun to get its max potential

Leave a comment:

• iceman
    replied
    I have a couple and enjoy them a lot. as for small game they work and it saves ammo of the bigger stuff

Leave a comment:

• flatline
    replied
    i knoow what you mean. i have around 20 or so airsoft guns rangeing from 300-650 fps and i know that it will slow a person down so for small game ???...just a thought...most are full auto so that help on the person part

Leave a comment:

• Cowboyup65
    replied
    I went to a gun shop and one of the guys was wanting to show off a silenced pistol the has, he took it out side and none of us had ear plug, didnt need them it was quieter than my pellet gun which is a one cock deal.
    I dont know what the sub-sonic barrier is, but when your shooting close to 1200 fps, if it cracks, you broke it.
    Even if you buy a silenced gun, to make it work for you it is best to buy subsonic ammo.

So all that said, I would go with a 22 cal air rifle with 1000fps than a 177 with 1200 fps, the larger pellet with prove better for small game.

REMEMBER, aim small, miss small!!!

also a blow gun might be a good option in the city since they are quiet and you can make your own ammo.
    I did take squirrels with a slingshot back in Mich cause hey were huge and I was hungry.

Leave a comment:

• beebopcop
    replied
    I think that the pellet gun is an excellent addition to any survival plan. At 1200 fps a well placed shot will take down a man. No kenetic energy to speak of but if you luck up and hit a bleeder he will eventually go down. I mean this as a last resort of course. The quietness of it makes it even a greater plus. I don't have one yet but it is on my shopping list for the near future.
    bbc

Leave a comment:

Working...
X