Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome
    replied
    Went to the Super walmart yesterday to check for ammo.... They've got .22 and 12 gauge and that's about it :(
    I'm going to have order online and hope that the back order is filled.

Leave a comment:

• smokeyandthebandit05
    replied
    Just got some more ammo. I picked up 3150 rounds of Federal .22, 75 rounds of 00 buck, and 15 hollow point slugs

----------------
    Now playing: Tracy Lawrence - Find Out Who Your Friends Are
    via FoxyTunes

Leave a comment:

• cwconnertx
    replied
    I can't get primers at a price that is worth it, bullets, pretty much the same. So I buy more ammo.

Bought 500 more rounds of 223 this afternoon. Thinking about ordering some more 30.06 can always use more.

Leave a comment:

• Morguns1Cam
    replied
    Well, as it is said "keep your powder dry!" if you do it will keep for decades. If the powder does start to break down it gives off a very acrid sharp smell, not to be confused of the normal solvent-like smell (I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning!) . Same goes for primers, keep em dry, should last for decades as well, I know Ive fired ammo loaded in the 1930"s that shot fine( although those were the mecuric primer days, corrosive stuff) todays stuff should work as well. Ive never had any primers go bad or had to throw out any powder in 25 years of loading.
    Cam

Leave a comment:

• Dracos
    replied
    Hello friends,my first post. My thoughts. You will never be sorry if you have too much ammo. You may be sorry if you have too little. I reload. I cast bullets. I keep several hundred pounds of alloy on hand. Primers and powder are a good thing to stock up on too. Does anyone know what the shelf life of these?

Leave a comment:

• RossA
    replied
    Never underestimate the value of a good .22! Or several. Not that it would be my ONLY weapon, mind you.

Leave a comment:

• Morguns1Cam
    replied
    Great thread, lots of good thoughts, lots of ammo! I try to keep a couple boxes on hand. :rolleyes: Another thought, if you have to bug out on foot, an accurate .22 rifle with good glass is a pretty light weapon, you can easily put a couple thousand rounds of ammo in your pack. Dot you attackers in the eye and take their weapon and ammo.
    Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• pathfinder3081
    replied
    "It all gets heavy after a mile or two". Humping a M60 or the Tri-pod, the barrel bag, 400 rounds when your 20 years old is one thing? (lol). If the climate ever did get heated I think I would have two or three mutiple stashes. Hold outs with freinds or old property near me or my exit. Sad for me to say that my M1A gets heavy in my arms sometimes on a day hike. I guess some of olders cats should do more conditioning.I know I do.
    200 rounds +/- and perhaps a 100 round bandoleir is a patrol load. OR use to be. But you have others with you. Honestly that is alot of lead. If someone is to be the "Semi-Auto" rifle man, you can spread 200 more rounds between ya.
    Last edited by pathfinder3081; 03-18-2009, 11:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• prkchp76
    replied
    i was navy my self and thankyou guys for your service too often it is taken for granted and tha really p$%#es me off any way i am a rather large fellow 6'4 325 and i try not to take more than i need as well because too much weight becomes a hinderense

Leave a comment:

• cwconnertx
    replied
    Originally posted by Long_Hunter View Post
    I feel your pain... I have A LOT of ammo. I do go through a lot of .45 and 5.56, but I have not had a problem replacing it, maybe because I am in a military town and there are a number of stores that sell ammo. Even the local Gander Mtn maintains a pretty level shelf stock.

Great discussion here and not intended to sell anyone short by any means; we all have different backgrounds which produces a wide variety of knowledge, skills, and abilities. I just hope I can contribute something to someone that they did not know before, or at least set them to thinking.
    It is what it is and I have never been more than a rockin-roller with one foot in the grave.:D
    LH
    MY problem is getting the ammo for a price I am willing to pay.

If the price is good on the ammo you're buying, I think I'll take my next vacation to your town.

Leave a comment:

• Long_Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by cwconnertx View Post
    I don't think I would ever use all the ammo I got in a combat situation or anything of the sort, I think most people don't. I think what people realize is in a societal breakdown there will not be any more available. Hell, I have trouble getting plain target ammunition right now and civilization is still semi-functioning.

No way am I gonna try and carry it all on foot. If I do have to bug out, hopefully it will not be on foot, and then it will come with me in the bug out vehicle. It will fit in the bug out vehicle.

Some items just aren't suitable for foot carry, I'm thinking the 50 cal rifle and ammo are out, but who knows :)
    I feel your pain... I have A LOT of ammo. I do go through a lot of .45 and 5.56, but I have not had a problem replacing it, maybe because I am in a military town and there are a number of stores that sell ammo. Even the local Gander Mtn maintains a pretty level shelf stock.

Great discussion here and not intended to sell anyone short by any means; we all have different backgrounds which produces a wide variety of knowledge, skills, and abilities. I just hope I can contribute something to someone that they did not know before, or at least set them to thinking.
    It is what it is and I have never been more than a rockin-roller with one foot in the grave.:D
    LH

Leave a comment:

• Bayou Blaster
    replied
    Long_Hunter

Yeah in the Air Force we were trained to retain our mags as well. I would only open one flap of my BDU Pants pockets and place them there. Less chance of them falling out on the run. I was not a big fan of the mag carriers. I would cut the separators out of the mag carriers as well. I qualified expert with the M-16 not that it means anything. Adrenalin is not really pumping under those conditions. My son will be my backup god forbid anything happens where we have to defend ourselves. He was the Captain of the JROTC rifle team at his High School. For his 18th Birthday he got his own Semi M-4 variant that I built for him. My biggest problem is deciding on a bugout rifle and handgun if you get my drift. I also enjoy your post as well. You keep it real world.

Leave a comment:

• cwconnertx
    replied
    Ideally you want to just shove the expended mag down into your shirt- do it enough and you will loose one, or if you are running with the wolves at your heels... you may just forget where empty mags go. Playing the devil here... Hopefully no one will be in that situation by themselves, and will have a "buddy" so one moves while the other covers.
    During our "extended" 3-guns you get penalized for dropping mags; I have a friend that has velcro on his pmags and all over the front of his kit; emptys the mag and just slaps it on his chest. I shov'em in my shirt. Technique, and you know what they say about those...

All the ammo in the world won't help you unless you know how to use your firearms and have the will to use them... The more proficient you are, the less ammo you really need.
    I picked up on the 3-gun tactical matches after I retired as a way of staying proficient; I don't worry about winning, just nailing every round.

Bayou Blaster- I enjoy your posts and thanks for sharing your knowledge.:cool:

I don't think I would ever use all the ammo I got in a combat situation or anything of the sort, I think most people don't. I think what people realize is in a societal breakdown there will not be any more available. Hell, I have trouble getting plain target ammunition right now and civilization is still semi-functioning.

No way am I gonna try and carry it all on foot. If I do have to bug out, hopefully it will not be on foot, and then it will come with me in the bug out vehicle. It will fit in the bug out vehicle.

Some items just aren't suitable for foot carry, I'm thinking the 50 cal rifle and ammo are out, but who knows :)

Leave a comment:

• Long_Hunter
    replied
    You Like My Singing?

Ideally you want to just shove the expended mag down into your shirt- do it enough and you will loose one, or if you are running with the wolves at your heels... you may just forget where empty mags go. Playing the devil here... Hopefully no one will be in that situation by themselves, and will have a "buddy" so one moves while the other covers.
    During our "extended" 3-guns you get penalized for dropping mags; I have a friend that has velcro on his pmags and all over the front of his kit; emptys the mag and just slaps it on his chest. I shov'em in my shirt. Technique, and you know what they say about those...

All the ammo in the world won't help you unless you know how to use your firearms and have the will to use them... The more proficient you are, the less ammo you really need.
    I picked up on the 3-gun tactical matches after I retired as a way of staying proficient; I don't worry about winning, just nailing every round.

Bayou Blaster- I enjoy your posts and thanks for sharing your knowledge.:cool:

Leave a comment:

• Bayou Blaster
    replied
    Completely agree... No one here is carrying 10000 rounds of anything in a BoB on foot. Yea, the military... 7 mags=combat load (210 rounds 5.56 ball). It takes longer than you think to shoot that many rounds accurately, making every round count for something; now, if you are laying down suppresive fire its not, but how many of you plan on an assault element and support by fire position to counter the assault on your Bol/homestead? How many rehearse break contact drills where you will unload some mags that you never see again? I know, too much military jargon...
    Preaching to the Choir, I completely agree with your statement as well. As far as too much military jargon, bring it on; just clear up the terminology where necessary for those without military experience. Can't say I have rehearsed/practiced the break contact drills where you loose mags. Something to consider for sure. BTW appreciate your service.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X