Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscar Wilde
    replied
    A fella I know carries a pair of Berettas. Haven't seen him engage a target but he claims a high degree of lethality.

Browning Hi Power in a cross draw for me for the time being.

O.W.

Leave a comment:

• cwi555
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	photobucket-2112-1332565726192.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	187983

I'm a big guy. I normally carry twins.

Leave a comment:

• jezcruzen
    replied
    Mine is a 3" bbl. I had to hunt around for the 3". Two-inch bbls were in plentiful supply. It was a handful using 158gr .357mag rounds with the stock grip! The Hogue monogrip tamed it right down. I intend on replacing the front sight with a hi-vis one. Being stainless, it gets lost and hard to see in almost all light conditions.

Leave a comment:

• Hummer
    replied
    Dittos on the SP101, did you get the 3" bbl? I have always wanted one but the one I got was one of the first ones with 2" barrel an to get a center shot at 25 yards on a E silhouette I had to aim 10" low right at the the waist level and it would hit center so I dumped it.

Don't be afraid to run rounds on it, one was subjected to a 10,000 round run of 357 Mag at the factory and it was still in time.

Historically many fixed sight revolvers don't shoot where they are pointed and the Rugers were not immune from that but what impressed me was the first GP100 3" fixed sight I got was dead on at 25 yards so I got another one quickly and it shoots 1 inch left at 25 yards.

The U S Border Patrol tested Ruger Security Six against S&W Mod 65s to 10,000 rounds 358 Mag 158 gr. JHP (two each) circa 1985 time frame. The Mod 65s had to be rebuilt at 500 and 1000 rounds being out of time and the guns were deadlined at 1500 rounds as the largest hand made would not bring it into time.

There were two contracts for (if I remember correctly) for a total of 5000 guns and they were configured for round butts thusly a round butt grip could be had for smaller hands and the bigger target style for the other guys could be fitted. That was the first contract where the specs were written to try and make the guns as comfortable to the user as possible.

The Rugers went 10,000 rounds and were still in time. A follow on test was conducted for INS and the requirements were 2.5 to 3" barrel and full ejector travel to remove 357 Mag cases. Ruger submitted 3" barrels and passed the 10,000 easily and INS bought 500 of them for their plain clothes personnel.

When they make a production run they will put in extra guns in case some get washed out in production and I think they started out with 515 for that contract, and 502 made it through final inspection. 500 went to INS and two were put up for the Ruger Collector's Assn. I was lucky enough to get one of the two over runs. That makes it a very rare gun because unless something has changed the USBP did not sell used guns but destroyed them.

At the start of that testing I had like 15 S&Ws and no Rugers at all. After the test I dumped 10 of the S&Ws and bought Rugers. I kept two K22s, a Mod 36 still unfired, a Mod 10 2" and a Mod 15 4". Never got around to selling the 10 15 and 36.

UPDATE: Jan 1, 2018, I just scored a 3" SP101 and immediately knew the factory grips were not going to be comfortable so I ordered Hogue mono and that made all the difference. I also got my third GP100 3".that came with a Ruger Factory Grip (compact) and it feels quite good. I also got a thousand Sierra 180 gr. FPJ competition bullets and I have them loaded on top of 11.5 gr 2400. Have not chronographed them yet. These were celebration guns for surviving triple bypass surgery on Oct. 2. When I do I will get back with you guys and let you know the results.
    Last edited by Hummer; 01-01-2018, 09:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gravitytester
    replied
    80% of the time my weapon of choice for concealed carry is the S&W Shield with a Bianchi IWB leather holster. The rare occasions that I am in a suit then it is a Kimber 1911 with a Galco Miami Vice shoulder rig. The rest of the time it would be a Ruger SP101. Jezcrusen, I was always a S&W revolver guy until I ran across this gun for a really good deal. I figured at worst, if I didn't like it, it would be very easy to get my money back out of it. I was sold on it after the first trip to the range. It felt good in my hand and shot even better. I have a ankle holster that I usually carry it in.

Leave a comment:

• myakka
    replied
    it lives!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• NRAamy
    replied
    It's called Metamucil, myakka..... Metamucil.....

Leave a comment:

• myakka
    replied
    What about us old irregulars?

Leave a comment:

• jezcruzen
    replied
    You older regulars have read my comments on this subject before, so be patient.

I don't have any "dream" CCW guns. My carry guns over the past year or so have been a Ruger LCP, Glock 19 w/night sights, and a Ruger SP101 3" bbl in .357 mag. I have carried a Khar CW40 in a Super Tuck IWB and a Glock 28 in a Kydex G-Code paddle holster. I change around according to how I'm dressed and where I'll be going. The LCP slips nicely into a pocket holster or a Smart Carry when I dress in shorts and t-shirt or when I don't want to feel burdened over being armed but still want to be armed, if that makes any sense. That would qualify more as a surprise piece than an intimidation piece I would think. I carry the G19 in that same G-Code holster when its chilly outside and I'm wearing something that covers the Glock. But I ordered a N2 IWB holster for it back last Fall which is very comfortable sitting or standing and I wear it often, sometimes all day even around the house. But I must say that I have grown really fond of that Ruger SP101. I had an open-topped OLD EL PASO leather holster laying around that fit the Ruger perfect for my needs. I've never been much of a revolver guy, but this one has grown on me. I shoot it better than the Glock, and it just feels so right with that Hogue mono-grip. I mostly just carry it around the place because it just feels so good carrying it, fitting snug and tight to my body. *oh, oh... I'm going to excite myself* *laugh* The five-round cylinder has its short-comings, but the power of the round makes up for it.

Leave a comment:

• countryboy6685
    replied
    Originally posted by countryboy6685 View Post
    Glock 42 is a wonderful gun .
    Robert W
    I just ordered a Glock 43 Its the basically same size and thickness as a 42 but it is in 9 mm instead of 380 . Let you know how I like it after I get it .
    Robert W

Leave a comment:

• Hummer
    replied
    Carried a Gov't Model Colt for years and as pointed out by others can be problematical. Used a Hume Agent 9 for a holster, kept it close to side. Got to be a real pain on commercial aircraft as those seats were designed by a guy that weighs 165 lbs and a Gov't Model and my rib cage just didn't get along but in those days I made the decision that I wanted a 45 w/ 3 mags if it was going to be needed and I would put up with the discomfort. Fortunately never did.

I now have a Glock 30 with XS Express Night Sights which the PO had installed and it is the fastest pointing handgun sights I have ever used which is my walking around piece.

As a alternative I am kind of looking for a Glock 26. Normally I would not consider a 9MM but the compactness is good and I have 9MM NATO Spec ball ammo I would carry in it. If you have never experienced NATO Spec Ball that will operate a SMG, you have not arrived.

As well I have some of the 147 gr. FMJ I was sent for evaluation which was utilized by the Navy in the silenced H&K MP-5. I tested it in several 9MM handguns and it did not function the actions sufficently to pick up follow on rounds reliably thusly I did not recommend it as the MP-5s were not in our inventory thusly I would carry it ONLY AS A CHAMBERED ROUND and the NATO FMJ Ball was follow ons. Maybe I will find a 26 some day.

There then are situations that to carry anything but a pocket piece is the only option (in the South, warm/hot weather, with a T shirt and that is a 25 auto which unfortunately has an effective range of about nine inches and it better be delivered dead center above the running lights to be effective. I term such to be mother in law guns which is defined as having enough energy to get your mother in law off your case.

Many years ago I had a Herters 357 Mag derringer and that was one fine pocket gun and very accurate and a buddy wanted to try it out and I let him and as he cocked it his thumb slipped off the hammer and when the half cock engaged it broke the sear off and THERE WAS NO PARTS available. Made me sick and still does as I could hit a E silhouette with it at 25 yards ! ! ! ! It was a real handfull to touch off as I could only use two fingers and thumb to hold it and a 158 gr 357 Mag round was not something you wanted to shoot often in it. As I remembered it was made in Germany and I think marketed by Herters??????

They are so rare that I have never even seen or heard tell of another.

Car guns are a different story. First tier is 357 Mag GP 100s. 3" in both cars, 6" in truck with 222 gr. cast bullets on top of 11 gr. 2400. It chronos 1100 from the 6" and I estimate it would be about 950 from the 3" variants. 2nd tier are rifles from 270 & 30.06 and AR with M855 though the capability drops severely after 95 yards (Army Wound Ballistic Lab findings) with long barrel and my 16" barrel I estimate would reduce that to 75 yards.

My testing on car doors is 357 was the only thing that got through the door panels. I suspect the 9MM NATO from a 5" barrel would likely do so but haven't tried it.

The only 9MM ammo commercially available the US market I ever found I would carry was the IMI 9MM SMG (black paint on meplat). That stuff was awesome. Have not seen it in years.

Leave a comment:

• pappa44
    replied
    I do not carry daily,but have a few semi-auto handguns.I am more of a large cal. revolver kind a guy (357mag,45colt).Of the three I have I would prefer my HK USP Compact 357SIG.Feels good in my hand,easy enough to conceal,is accurate, and IMHO gets the job done.After all that's what its all about.

Leave a comment:

• Gravitytester
    replied
    I alternate between and M&P Shield in 9mm and a Kimber Ultra Carry II as my EDC. Firearms are not allowed at work as a general rule but I requested an exception to the rule based on my KSA's and was granted it by the CEO. I don't carry on me at work because the dress code doesn't really allow for it. I have a man purse(maxpedition Mongo Versipack) with a special compartment for a weapon. Normally I use a Bianchi or Galco IWB holster, I am old school and like leather holsters. I prefer a .45 for my pistols but I also have 9mm's because in a true long term SHTF, I think they would be more plentiful. As far as my dream CCW it would be the Kimber that I have. I was fortunate enough to be able to get it after my last deployment.

Leave a comment:

• Big Guy
    replied
    I carry a Glock 22 when I go back and forth to work. When I go out to eat, shopping, and just basically running around I carry my Colt 1911. I used to carry my Springfield XD .40 sub compact every where I went but I screwed up and had a friend dura-coat it and now its a memorial gun and I wont carry it.

I think it's also a pretty good idea to keep a rifle in your vehicle.

Leave a comment:

• Greyhawk50
    replied
    I normally carry a Kel-Tec P3At (380 auto) because it conceals easily. I have 4 different holsters plus a fanny pack. I like the Kel-Tec because it doesn't have the hammer half cock like some others mouse guns and it has the hammer striker plate for added safety. It's a 6+1 with an extra magazine. Also bought the extended mag. caps for both mags. Bought it used (like new) otd for $200.
    Just for grins and giggles, I also have a stainless S&W 638 (38 spl. +P). It is limited to 5 rounds but I have 2 speed loaders. Also have 3 holsters for it (IWB & OWB). The S&W 638 retails for around $430, but after all, it is a Smith.
    For me, the 380 shoots the best with a 4" group at 21'. The 38 spl. is more like 6" group at 21'. Not sure why? Maybe the trigger pull is heavier?? There may be better weapons out there but I'm pleased with both of mine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X