No announcement yet.

Hoplaphobic relatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have one daughter who has never had any interest and my other daughter sees it as a form of entertainment that takes place once every 12-18 months. It depends on your mind set. For those of us who have served, we were trained to aggressively act to save not only our lives but those of our buddies as well. That's not going to ever leave you. I am continually though out the years asked to recommend fire arms, which I do for people interested in buying. Knowing well that after the initial purchase and 50 rds downrange that the chosen firearm won't see another range practice in 5+ years or more. Make a game of it, I did. My wife finds practice boring and uninteresting, but take her to a Cowboy Match and watch her shoot up to 3,900-4,000 rds per year out of a pistol, rifle and SxS shotgun. If "the balloon ever went up", I know she is proficient with at least 4 firearms and I am only required to change the ammunition load in the firearms to one that is more defensible in purpose.

Comment

I'm ex-Infantry so under the right conditions, I'd revert; same as Armyjimbo or you.

My wife is quite competent with firearms. However, standing the box is quite another subject. IMO, it's no different with cherries in combat.

Where we live, the dangers are more of the 4 legged and slithering kind.

We both have CCW permits and when we travel there is an AR in the vehicle. Where we travel almost always has reciprocal agreement and we avoid the communist States.

Comment

Hoplaphobic...Wow!! that is a totally new word to me. Thanks for bringing me up to date and expanding my vocabulary. Always appreciated ..a new word...and or concept in understanding.

Not all of us out here live television and or movie lives....to where our reality and or fears/insecurities are governed by such stimulus. Some of us have been out here in the real world and taken serious "Risks" in our careers and for our monies. Also knowing we have to go out here and do it again tomorrow for the same reasons. No Safety net...for us...

We do not become so easily affrighted of everything and anything out here. We often learn to conquer or master our fears and insecurities. We do not whine and moan or groan until someone else so does for us gratis. We also do not expect others to give up their standard of living, beliefs, religion, and or comforts, so that we can be, feel, and think we are safe and secure...by entitlement.

Mind you now..this does not make us better than others..but it does make us very very different.

I do not have much respect for people who expect others to make adjustments/risks to their lives and or standard of living, beliefs to make them feel safe or comfortable. I reckon I am just not into that kind of breastfeeding at someone else's risk taking.

I often am want to state....one of my biggest nightmare dreams is of being stuck on that famous "Desert Island " with some 400 people who only know how to text.

I feel the same about hoplaphobic...now that i know what is the meaning of that new word.

Be Warned of these kinds of Ishmaelites who would put us into their form of bondage to feel comfortable and safe..abd that also means phony leadership who would prey on such fearful insecure people for their votes at the expense of other peoples rights.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
        Orangetom

Comment

There are so many phobias many of them don't make the supposed all inclusive list of phobias.

https://psychologenie.com/list-of-al...their-meanings
          https://psychtimes.com/hoplophobia-fear-of-firearms/
          At the list of "all phobias" site; hoplophobia is not included; OTOH, at the second link it is included.. Another example of how the self-proclaimed all knowing internet isn't all knowing. LOL!

There can be a fine line between unjustified destructive fear and justified constructive anger. Hoplophobics fear what can't do them harm while ignoring the persons who do harm.

BTW, the word Ishmaelite is quite interesting.
          The sons of Ishmael are given in Genesis 25:13,14; they were twelve in number and gave rise to as many tribes, but the term Ishmaelite has a broader signification, as appears from Genesis 37:28. 36, where it is identified with Midianite. From Genesis 16:12 it may be inferred that it was applied to the Bedouin of the desert region East of the Jordan generally, for the character there assigned to Ishmael, "His hand shall be against every man, and every man's hand against him," fits the habits of Bedouin in all ages.
          https://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/ishmaelites/

The 12 sons of Ishmael founded the 12 tribes of Israel. In today's world, the broader signification or Bedouin are Muslims and radical Muslims who fit "His hand shall be against every man, and every man's hand against him,"

Comment

Tugaloo,

I dont think this is quite correct...

https://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/ishmaelites/

The 12 sons of Ishmael founded the 12 tribes of Israel. In today's world, the broader signification or Bedouin are Muslims and radical Muslims who fit "His hand shall be against every man, and every man's hand against him,"

I think this should be the 12 sons of Jacob founded the 12 Tribes of Israel.

Also, the line is through Isaac and his Seed..

Thanks,
            Orangetom
            Not an Ishmaelie.

Comment

OT,
              The more I search, the greater the confusion.

Twelve Tribes of Israel, in the Bible, the Hebrew people who, after the death of Moses, took possession of the Promised Land of Canaan under the leadership of Joshua. Because the tribes were named after sons or grandsons of Jacob, whose name was changed to Israel after he wrestled an angel of the Lord, the Hebrew people became known as Israelites.
              https://www.britannica.com/topic/Twe...ibes-of-Israel

https://overviewbible.com/12-tribes-israel/
              The above site has a family tree:

Have you ever read Numbers? The size of the 12 tribe's armies was huge!!

Comment

Working...
              X