Why Do You Carry Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do You Carry Part II

I finally found the letter is was referring to in the post 'Why Do You Carry'. I know it may be preaching to the choir here, but IMHO it is well word reading and sharing. I was incorrect that it was filed during the Heller case. It was filed during the Chicago case.

The Supreme Court heard arguments for and against the Chicago gun ban, this Marine offered a letter that places the proper perspective on what a gun means to a civilized society.

Interesting take and one you don't hear much. . . . . .

Please read this eloquent and profound letter and pay close attention to the last paragraph of the letter....
    ---------
    Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.

The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single guy on equal footing with a carload of drunken guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for an [armed] mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat--it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed.

People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser.

People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force, watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level.

The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret.)
    So, the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced.

This is worth printing and sharing with others!
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Thank-you for the post
    Attached Files
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." Plato

That Government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves.

— Thomas Jefferson

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.

— Abraham Lincoln

I was so embarrassed today. I got caught peeing in the pool. When the lifeguard yelled at me I jumped and damn near fell in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Morgan, hope you don't mind but I copied and pasted your post on my face book page. I'm tired of some of my libtard relatives asking why I believe guns are good. And I can never find the right words. Thanks for sharing.
      G.I.H.S.O. Going In Hot, Safety Off.

Comment

Say? What happened to part one?
        I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

Buggy: Part 1 was a post by Chefsimms. I didn't want to steal from his post, so I just called mine Part II.

Last Mountain Man: I am happy to help, and glad you liked the letter enough to share. I'm sure Maj. Caudill would be proud.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Ditto Mtn Man's thoughts, putting it on there and I also borrowed Chefs Protection pic to post there.
            I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

There are a number of people that I personally know who have made the effort to get their CCW now that my state has become a "shall issue' state.

But few of those people actually ever carry! Why? Do they think that they will simply stuff it in their waistband when they anticipate having to go into a questionable area? Or do they think that they will just carry it when they think they may need it? How does anyone know when they may need to defend their life or the life of someone else?

Most of these people I am referring to don't even possess a handgun suitable for concealed carry and/or a quality belt and holster designed for carry. They never accustom themselves to the weight and feel of carrying a weapon and do not become practiced in accessing their weapon safely and quickly.

I have become like the old cowboy who feels naked without his "shooting iron" hanging on his side. I carry everyday.... all day.... everywhere. I'm "strapped" right now sitting in my den typing this! It goes on with my pants in the morning and comes off at night with those pants. I have carried for so long now, I would be afraid not to be carrying for when I did, thats when I would need it!

My hands are on my weapon multiple times per day. I practice my draw sitting, standing, walking....

The older I get, the more I appreciate my right to be armed.

Comment

Reason enough for me. Life taught me how true this can be.

Dale

Comment

You are absolutely right, Dale. There is no place we can consider safe or no one who cannot become a threat.

Comment

Originally posted by jezcruzen View Post
                    But few of those people actually ever carry! Why? Do they think that they will simply stuff it in their waistband when they anticipate having to go into a questionable area? Or do they think that they will just carry it when they think they may need it? How does anyone know when they may need to defend their life or the life of someone else?
                    One of the things I learned from my CCW classes and the forums I frequent is you carry all the time for when you don't need it. If you think there is an extra concern or risk, you avoid it.
                    CITIZEN by BIRTH
                    AMERICAN by CHOICE
                    NRA PATRON MEMBER by NECESSITY

Comment

Originally posted by wac220 View Post
                      One of the things I learned from my CCW classes and the forums I frequent is you carry all the time for when you don't need it. If you think there is an extra concern or risk, you avoid it.
                      You know, that makes great sense! Our first means of defense is not to be in the places we might require a weapon. Sorta reminds me of the saying that making good decisions comes from experience, and experience comes from making bad decisions.

Comment

It does make sense, and avoiding trouble in the first place is always a good policy, but I don't think a movie theater in Aurora, CO, or a church in Wisconsin would have been on my "avoid" list.

I don't even know what to say other than you can never be to careful.

Comment

Question: What does your home, the mall, the highway, a berry patch or on the lake have in common?

Answer: You can be attacked and killed in all of them.

Always carrying, always prepared.

Dale

Comment

My boss asked me why I carry...dipshit. I told him I carry a gun cause I cant carry a cop. Then I reminded him of the movie theater shooting. He said there's no use... I would of been killed. So his logic is its to better to assume the fetal position and accept it.

Maybe one day he'll get in a situation and wish I were with him...?? Funny how people are conditioned into jellyfish.

Comment

Originally posted by El Gringo View Post
                              My boss asked me why I carry...dipshit. I told him I carry a gun cause I cant carry a cop. Then I reminded him of the movie theater shooting. He said there's no use... I would of been killed. So his logic is its to better to assume the fetal position and accept it.

Maybe one day he'll get in a situation and wish I were with him...?? Funny how people are conditioned into jellyfish.
                              The shooter in Colorado is a coward, had there been anyone else armed he would have probably fled. Your boss sounds like a typical liberal pacifist.
                              Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it. *George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                              X