No announcement yet.

Who Packs an EDC Survival Kit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we talking about a get home bag or what you carry on your person each and every day?

Here is my list

1. 30" 550 Para cord with ranger beads on it For navigation

2. 10' 550 Para cord bracelet with watch and compass on it.

3. Normal Clothing including shirt, shorts or trousers, socks, hiking boots, baseball hat, and over 25' 550 Para cord made belt.

4. Boy Scout folding knife (Check in your state on what length of blade you can carry). Florida is 5"

5. Back left pocket Small tin with survival items in it.

6. Key chain with small flash light attached.

This is what I carry on me any time I leave the house.

Comment

I'm sure mine is very similar to all of the others, but I also have items in my car as Slowgun45. One thing I do include, and no one here has mentioned it. I carry cash. Not a lot, but enough that I could make it home, and not have to use a bank or an ATM. Granted, my travel distance is usually quite short. In the short term SHTF,or a natural disaster, cash will still be important.
      The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

I have a lot of the altoids tins. I am making up some for bartering. Some with fishing items, sewing, fire starter items, etc. I thought they would come in handy for people that only have small items I might need for trade.

Comment

I have my former SAR pack which is in my truck, along with a EMT trauma bag (I am an EMR), my better BOB is in my abode, and I have basically lived out of it once for 282 days, sans food and water, with the odd item here and there we will call "salvage" ( not stolen though).

At work I have a small EDC which I don't carry with me everywhere at work, but with the job I do, would not stand out weird. I do not carry concealed at work, and cannot. But I also have lots of possible options for equalizers. I usually have a handheld ham radio in the truck, but could bring it into work with me if I went to to a small pack EDC for in work.

Also starting to make my daughter a EDC for at school, and as she doesn't have her ham ticket yet, just a pair of family radios. She does have her own BOB which is 7#, mine is 38#

Cedar:

Comment

I also have more of a get home bag and a bag for if we have to leave. I don't keep the bag for getting out from where we are in the car but in garage where we can get to it and through it in car and leave. I do keep my medical kit in the car at all times. Also am looking for good pair of walkie talkies for family members to keep in touch but that will be for when we get to where we are going. We have decided that my grandparents old homestead will be where we meet. Lots of land though the area has gone commercial it has forest and away from a main road. It was up for sale but has now been taken off market.

Comment

AJ - just take your ham tests. $15 per sitting, so if you go hardcore you can pass all three tests for $15, but I'd advise just the Technician license.

https://hamexam.org/ I just went over the questions, and over, until I had memorized everything. My mentor/Elmer said to do that as you cannot learn ham radio until you are on it. You actually are an official radio station.

Then get the family pack of Baofeng radios, as it usually brings the price down to around $20 a radio. But I also advise throuwing away the rubber duck antenna which comes with it and upgrade the antenna which I think I paid $14 for. Where I am, I can easily hit repeaters and get all North and south Oregon on the west side, but can hit a couple places in eastern Oregon via repeaters over the Cascade mountains.

On simplex (without repeaters), I can easily get 70 miles.

Don't be intimidated by ham radio, you no.longer have to learn Morse code, but it is my fun thing I like to do, even if I am still like 6wpm on WC.

But ham will be way better for you long term methinks. And the people who say they will just use them after SHTF are foolish, as you need to practice to learn how to run the radios and make the impossible happen. Such as tuning a Barb wire fence, or create an antenna using a tape measure and a pvc pipe in a SHTF situation.

Cedar

Comment

My son in law is a ham operator and he was helping me with it till his job got him so busy that we just forgot about it. He just changed jobs again about a month ago. So will need for things to settle down some. I will check out the sight and maybe when my hand gets better I will try again. I have the morse code stuff on my penterest site. I knew some of that and it was fun. Need to go back and learn it again. I was only going for enough to be able to get licence to be able to use it. That would be enough for me I think.

Comment

Since I can't be a SAR dog handler anymore being a single mom, nor a volunteer firefighter due to the same reason, I am now doing emergency radio service for our little community with another person.

I only have my tech, but working on general, in order to open up more options and learn them, as we will be pretty hooped here when Cascadia happens.

Cedar

Comment

Cedar, I really do need to get back to the ham radio stuff. I was using my son in law's to learn on but not taken a test for it yet. I am going to have to get back to that but will have to check out buying the ham radio as my son in law keeps his on his truck. Don't laugh, his truck is his office. They were suppose to be getting a building for him and they are from another state that got flooded from the hurricanes. They had to set him up to use a computer in the truck and he says it is frustrating because if he turns his truck off anywhere to take calls and write some things down, he has to reboot the computer each time. That takes about 3 to 4 minutes to get the reboot. Fun.

Comment

When I lived in the bush, when we did mass equine clinics at one ranch and people brought there horses there, I was running a vet office in a truck cab..a change of pace from the regular clinic I worked. So I understand this..

Cedar

Comment

Cedar: You have an amazing array of talents. I am very impressed. Thank you for sharing. I am learning a lot.
                        The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

I have done a few things in my life... My philosophy is that if there is no such thing as reincarnation, I am stuffing as much into this life as I can.

However I suck at math, and I can't dance to save my soul.

Cedar

Comment

I just wish I was phy. able to do half the things you guys do on here. I can food, we have our garden that even with that I really have to keep on top of it as he can't really do much anymore. And I sew. I have made a lot of baby blankets and have given out many of them for baby gifts. Already had a couple of folks ask me to make them another one. Hubby thinks women have no business doing yard work so while he is at market cooking collards, I go outside and do yard work till he gets home. What he doesn't see won't hurt him. My next door neighbors husband is the opposite. He won't cut grass so she comes home from work and cuts grass. Hubby used to do it for her but our yard and her yard was a bit much. She has her grandson cutting it now as she has health problems. When I do see her working the flower beds she always tells me don't tell your husband. And she is right. he will fuss at her for doing yard work and then he finishes it for her. We just sit back and laugh at him now because he can't really do it right and he will just keep trying. But that is a good thing.

Comment

I can't sew. Sewing machines and I have sort of star-crossed phemonimon thing happening. So I am envious you can make baby blankets. I knit socks, but have not picked up the talent of crochet.

Cedar

Comment

I forgot one item even though I do not smoke I do carry 2 small BIC lighters.

Comment

Working...
                                X