Who Packs an EDC Survival Kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Packs an EDC Survival Kit?

A few years back I bacame fascinated with the SAS survival tin. At that time (pre-internet) there was only mentions in passing of what this wonderous life saving kit contained, what it was packed in (I had no idea what a "tobacco tin" was) or how it was carried. Over the years these and many other questions have been answered, but I never stopped liking the idea of carrying a small, easily concealed survival/escape kit. There are many on the market now, but I packed my first ones in small round ointment tins I found at work (about the size of Skoal cans). There was a survival and a first aid kit. The survival kit contained:

-About 10' fishing line wrapped on a sewing bobbin
    -6 Strike Anywhere matches with their heads dipped in wax
    -2 small & 2 medium fish hooks
    -4 small fishing weights
    -2 large sewing needles
    -A handcuff key
    -A utility knife razor blade
    -Cotton balls packed in any remaining space for tinder and to keep it quiet

The first aid kit consisted of:

-2 Alcohol Prep Pads
    -4 Bandaids
    -1 Large patch bandaid
    -2 packets of antibiotic cream
    -6 medium butterfly closures
    -A small, flattend roll of Transpor (plastic) tape

I still carry small kits, but with much better gear. Tell us about your EDC survival kits!
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

My EDC Man-purse is a survival kit.
    Live like you'll die tomorrow, learn like you'll live forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Echo2 View Post
      My EDC Man-purse is a survival kit.
      This.......
      "The enemy's gate is down."

Comment

re: fishing

http://www.speedhook.com/servlet/StoreFront
        not an expert

Comment

I carried a home made kit in Afghanistan wish I had some pictures of it
          NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO

Comment

At a minimum I carry at least two knives and a firesteel in my pockets. My boot laces are 550/paracord. I have a canteen/canteen cup/iodine water purifier, sleeping bag, fixed blade knife, poncho & Bridgeport Boy Scout hatchet in my vehicle.

Comment

I carry one thing I have never read or had anyone else note in any SHTF, blogs.

It's the liquid band-aid stuff from Wal-mart Kmart, ect. Ts stuff works great and has an antibiotic, in it and if you drip some on anything and light it... it burns... hot!

Comment

Okay .... why do you carry a handcuff key in your tin? The reason I ask is, I'm guessing a handcuff key pretty much has a solitary function and if you're needin that key, chances are that the folks who put cuffs on ya have taken that can from ya ....

O.W.
                Last edited by Oscar Wilde; 08-03-2011, 12:08 AM.
                Things are seldom what they seem.

Comment

everywhere i go i have my max-ped falcon II with me. it has 2 knives; one fixed blade custom mora and a swedish army, small sharpining stone, one springfield xd sub-com in 40cal., 2 fire steels w/charcloth, fatwood, cotton balls soaked in wax, waterproof matches, lighter, magnifying glass (it gets cold here in the winter), mini-mag w/ extra batts and bulb, notepad w/pen, compass, military poncho w/liner and finally, paracord.
                  depending on the time of the year, i'll throw in extra wool socks, stocking cap, etc.. plus we keep food, blankets, sleeping bag, stove, pots, etc. in the truck behind the seat during winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
                    Okay .... why do you carry a handcuff key in your tin? The reason I ask is, I'm guessing a handcuff key pretty much has a solitary function and if you're needin that key, chances are that the folks who put cuffs on ya have taken that can from ya ....

O.W.
                    You're right; it just seemed like a cool idea at the time. I don't have one in my current kits.
                    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Comment

In my younger days...I had a handcuff key stitched into every jacket hem I owned....and 90% of the pants I owned.

I don't do that anymore....but I do keep cuff keys in my kit and on my person....and I think there is still one in every vehicle.

One reason is the fact that I generally carry cuffs in the vehicle (and before you ask...I have been trained on how to use them.)

They also work for securing gear....most folks don't carry cuff keys.
                      Live like you'll die tomorrow, learn like you'll live forever.

Comment

Originally posted by charliefox View Post
                        You're right; it just seemed like a cool idea at the time. I don't have one in my current kits.
                        CharlieFox, I agree with you .... it's an excellent idea. I carry two .... unless I'm stripped nekkid I'll have access to at least one of them.

O.W.
                        Things are seldom what they seem.

Comment

L.L. Bean Waxed Cotton Continental Rucksack

In the past all of my packs/rucksacks have been military or military inspired. I am trying to be more "gray" so I ordered a L.L. Bean Waxed Cotton Continental Rucksack. It arrived yesterday. I like the way it looks - nontactical. I brought it to work today. Now begins the selection process of what I want to put in it. The riots in London and the flash mobs here have made an impression on me.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/54122...400-ppxs&dds=y

Comment

My daily pack depending on distance from home is either a Max-ped Kodiak or Jumbo Versipack
                            surviveinthesuburbs.blogspot.com

Comment

[QUOTE=Stitch;49579]In the past all of my packs/rucksacks have been military or military inspired. I am trying to be more "gray" so I ordered a L.L. Bean Waxed Cotton Continental Rucksack. It arrived yesterday. I like the way it looks - nontactical. I brought it to work today. Now begins the selection process of what I want to put in it. The riots in London and the flash mobs here have made an impression on me.

Let me know how that pack works out for you it looked good. The only thing I would want on it is the chest strap for long hikes. You guys got me to thinking about those cuff keys good idea. I grab my pack when I am going to be very far from the truck whether I am going in the boat or on hike or any thing.
                              Last edited by manddoutfitters; 08-26-2011, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X