hotel/travel bedside ready kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hotel/travel bedside ready kit?

Looking for input on a bedside readiness kit. So far what I'm picturing is something like a double clipboard--but could be only one side is solid like a clipboard and other is fabric (canvas, denim, even just a couple of straps?).

(Could be all fabric so it rolls up for travel, like a mechanic's roll of tools.)

In any case, there would be a part that tucks between mattress and springs and another, exposed part that hangs down along the face of the springs.

On that exposed part I'd somehow mount items you'd want at hand in the middle of the night if suddenly woken to a situation of some kind. Flashlight would be the first item, and eyeglasses if needed.

But what else?

I'm assuming some kind of personal defense item in the case of burglars.

And cell phone.

Maybe car keys--so can press the panic button.

The main thing is having things organized in a known place close to hand. And making a way to have them organized/close to hand even if traveling.

That last bit would suggest a need for flexibility as local laws might affect what you had at hand for personal defense.

But also--any thoughts on whether this is actually needed? How do you all deal with having such items at hand in the middle of the night?

I'm not sure it belongs with this sort of kit, but while I'm at it, having footwear somehow readily available would be good too. I've heard that in earthquakes, people leaving homes barefoot often get cuts on their feet due to broken glass, etc.

Thanks for any thoughts. If this isn't making sense let me know--I could try to sketch out the idea if it would help but maybe that's not needed.
    Been there, done that. Then been there again several times, because apparently I never learn.

Why not use the nite stand for what it was built for. As for self defense always put your pistol where you hand will hit it first either on the nite stand or holster placed on the side of the bed. Security first. Everything else is secondary. If I want a lot of items next to me on the nite stand I have a plastic box (1 gallon ice cream container) that I use. Currently it holds my meds, flashlight, glasses, folding and fixed blade knifes, etc.

I have a holster with extra magazine of ammo, attached to an extender made for my military pistol belt. I place the belt between the mattress and box spring with the holster and extender hanging down. My right arm hits it every time I lay down (I sleep on my back) that is how I set it up. I have tried several times when I wake up to see if the pistol is still in the same place. My GLOCK is always beside me.

Comment

I like some of both of the ideas above...

I usually live a weapon on the night stand and reaching for it is kind of a habit. For everything else, I have everything in a bag that my wife calls "my purse" that whatever tactical things I'm carrying goes in as well is the pistol in the morning.

Motel rooms do throw your habits off somewhat and I might need to look at a better system. I know that when traveling, I always want to turn in with everything pretty much packed except what I want to wear that day. That way if I have to get up and leave in a hurry, I don't have to worry about packing and getting things ready to go.

What ever you do, it needs to be set up so that it's not easy to forget and leave it behind....

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Nat View Post
        ...What ever you do, it needs to be set up so that it's not easy to forget and leave it behind....
        YES! If I actually make something along the lines of what I'm thinking about that would be an excellent point to keep in mind. Maybe there could be something to act like old idea of string tied around your finger: a bright, long strap or ribbon that goes on the handle of your suitcase or a hotel room's door knob so you'd see it when packing up/leaving.

Night stand would work too but there's maybe more variability in what is provided from one hotel to another, or if visiting friends/family. Maybe it's unnecessary but making something that's the same from one place to another could be helpful in that moment of waking up.

But also, I wondered if there was a way people already did this sort of thing so glad to have that input, Rich.

Also though--I forgot to put this in the original post--but some sort of security system that would be portable and pack up in the bedside kit when you were ready to leave could be a part of this.

I can imagine improvised versions (bells or wind chimes that clip to a door knob or something). They might very well be enough. But to kick it up a notch, maybe this?

http://www.amazon.com/GE-Personal-Security-Window-Alarm/dp/B00178HMCI/ref=pd_cp_421_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=097YN9CB0W1VP430QEA V

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-07-05 at 4.00.26 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	188101

That's just the first one that I saw with a decent customer satisfaction rating--might be there are better versions out there. Not sure I'd want it to always blast away at 120 decibels--a signal that only alerted me would be a nice option--but still. The alarm thing could be handy too if one had to get home via multi-day, solo journey: would allow for easier sleep at night.

Or--is there a smart phone app that motion-detects and does something to act as an alert?

But if you all are more of the 'night stand gets the job done' that's good to know too. Though it's interesting to think about it, I realize this is maybe a case of cooking up a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.
        Schneb
        Valued Member
        Last edited by Schneb; 07-05-2015, 05:12 PM. Reason: blueing the link
        Been there, done that. Then been there again several times, because apparently I never learn.

Comment

why not just use a travel bathroom kit bag .... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lewis-N.-C...y-Kit/12185520

Comment

Portable security device. Well I use the New York door bar. It is a solid steel bar that fits under the handle of the door, and is wedged on to the floor. Anyone breaking in will have to take the door off it's hinges to get in.

It comes with an alarm that if the door takes a pounding it will go off.

Comment

I use a combination of the night stand and the man purse. EDC things from my pockets will go on the night stand. A flashlight, firearm, and folding knife are in the man purse, which I leave in one of my shoes, which are right next to the bed.

I have never used any other security lock besides what is provided at the hotel. Maybe I have just been lucky, but there is nothing wrong with taking additional precautions. Something that fits under the door jamb IMHO would probably work best, and be easy to carry with you.

I did have an occasion where the fire alarms went off in the hotel. It was a false alarm, but good practice. I know I can be up, alert, and ready to go in a matter of seconds.
              The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

I use those pull alarms pictured. I spray painted a couple of them OD and use them to secure my campsite, they work very well if rigged so that small animals don't set them off.

Harbor Freight and Tool sells a battery operated wireless motion detector alarm pretty cheap that I use indoors. IT's lightweight, portable, and doesn't take much space when packing...

A word from experience, if you go camping with Mr Myakka, none of this will be enough.....

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post
                  I use a combination of the night stand and the man purse. EDC things from my pockets will go on the night stand. A flashlight, firearm, and folding knife are in the man purse, which I leave in one of my shoes, which are right next to the bed.

I have never used any other security lock besides what is provided at the hotel. Maybe I have just been lucky, but there is nothing wrong with taking additional precautions. Something that fits under the door jamb IMHO would probably work best, and be easy to carry with you.

I did have an occasion where the fire alarms went off in the hotel. It was a false alarm, but good practice. I know I can be up, alert, and ready to go in a matter of seconds.

you're lucky .... I've had several occasions where the front desk sold my room again - gave the new guest(s) a door key - had them walk into my room .... had a burglar come into my room while I was in the adjoining room visting a friend .... now just about always I use the dead bolt ....

Comment

I use a Eagle Industries Security Attaché bag that I bought 15 years ago for work. It works as a travel bag for my clothes, holds my laptop as well as having a Velcro panel on the inside for attaching things like flashlights, electronics, etc. as well as having dividers in the bag and two outside pockets as well as a concealed compartment with a Velcro panel that holds my glock in a holster with an extra mag. extra mag pouches can be purchased and used.

This is similar to my bag.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BLACKHAWK%20Attache%20Case.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	188102

I travel anywhere (unsecured) with this bag and no one thinks it's anything but a travel bag. just a thought.

I arrange things at night depending on what I perceive the security threat to be at that location.

Dale

Comment

thanks for the input--saw a few things that fit with what I had originally been picturing here:

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=54951.0

...but I'm glad for the alternative ways of doing things. Something tucked in my shoe sounds good, for tying the footgear with the other items.

But in that popupportal thread the idea of a dollar store pencil holder (those zippered pockets that go in a 3-ring binder) and some velcro straps is sounding like a way to cheaply explore a purpose-built version.

...and I'm forehead-smacking myself for not thinking of that sooner as I gave such to the kids a few years ago for use on their bunkbeds at camp. Guess my signature quote is a good fit.

Comment

Consistency is the key. Obviously you can't duplicate your own bedroom but you can set a standard for away and be consistent. If you happen to be where there is no night stand you can use a chair, occasional table, or suitcase for your bedside arrangement. Just be consistent in the placement of your shoes, flashlight, glasses and so on any place away from home.

Comment

I use a laptop case for something like you are talking about. I keep it open and slip my gun down in it at night. I also have some other stuff I keep in there. I dont carry a laptop but a tablet in it, but people dont know and when you are traveling it look like you are lugging around a laptop all the time.

Comment

Working...
                          X