When to draw one's pistol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to draw one's pistol?

I read something about not letting an attacker closer 7 of your yards, (6 of our meters) before drawing one's gun. But as a daily thing, you cannot point a gun at everyone who passes within 6m of you. I think I need martial arts instruction, not just a pistol?

Never draw a pistol unless you believe your life or the lives of your loved ones is in imminent danger. There is more to this than what that sounds. You have to KNOW that when you draw your weapon (pistol) that you are willing and able to aim at your attacker and squeeze the trigger to kill your attacker. You have to be able to keep pulling the trigger until your attacker can no longer attack, or your out of ammo and have to reload, or your dead or injured so that you can no longer fire. Only the individual can decide if they are able to do this. The above is what I consider rule #1.

Rule #2, is what the law where you live dictates to be "reasonable cause" for defending your life. You have to check on that locally, probably when you get your concealed carry permit or training for the permit.

The 7 rule just states that anyone attacking you (either by hand, knife, club, etc.) that is within 7 yards (about seven steps) can be on you (stabbing, beating, etc.) before you have time to draw your weapon and fire on them. Anyone that close that you feel is a danger has to be responded to. One way or another.

Martial arts training is a good recommendation for anyone interested in defending themselves. I would recommend krav maga for any civilian serious about self defense. Others here may have different opinions on all of this. Good luck!

Dale

Comment

We were taught in the police academy to never allow anyone that may be a danger to us, to get within 21 feet; without us being in control of the situation. i.e. following commands to put arms on head, kneel, cross legs, etc.

If you pull your weapon anyone would expect you to use it. Never pull your weapon as a threat. Always pull it when you expect to use it!!!!

Over 150 cops a year die while on duty from assaults; they forgot that simple lesson.

Comment

Action beats reaction.

-Buggy
        I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

That number (150)incorrect, apparently. 150 die on duty, but <40 die (per year) from any sort of assault. I am finding forum information confusing.

http://www.odmp.org/search/year/2013?ref=sidebar

Comment

Originally posted by Haley View Post
            I read something about not letting an attacker closer 7 of your yards, (6 of our meters) before drawing one's gun. But as a daily thing, you cannot point a gun at everyone who passes within 6m of you. I think I need martial arts instruction, not just a pistol?
            I've been away for awhile. Just recently began revisiting the forum. Found this thread interesting.
            Years ago, I took martial arts training twice a week for a year. Very useful skills - but - can be lacking in a 3-5 second life or death situation.
            Not trying to promote anything. I have nothing to gain by sharing this.
            Seems that you like to search the web. Try searching "Target Focus Training". It's not free but neither is a 380 or 9mm.
            I can't post the URL yet so you're on your own.
            Just a suggestion.

Comment

I truly hope I will never have to shoot someone. I do have a concealed carry permit and I sometimes carry my weapon depending on where I am going. But to have to use it in a life or death situation is a totally different ball game. I pray that I will never be in that situation. I was trained by a police officer and he was really a great teacher, but like he said, when in that situation you really do not know how you will react when the danger is right in front of you. One thing is that if you know it will be your life or his, don't hesitate for even one second, that second could be your life and not the guy coming after you.

Comment

I carried one for 30 years as a deputy sheriff. Never shot anyone, but was prepared to a few times. We took a class on knife attacks. A deputy was 21' away with a rubber knife, we had our handgun unloaded, holstered, and we were in uniform. Not one deputy could draw without being stabbed first. That is how dangerous a knife can be, even if you have a holstered gun. If would be even worse if you were carrying a concealed firearm, it would take a bit longer to draw it and fire. That is why I carry a knife as well. I can get it out quicker than my pistol. My state went to constitutional carry 10 days ago. Anyone over 21, not prohibited from having or carrying a firearm can carry open or concealed without any type of permit.
                KSDeputy
                Valued Member
                Last edited by KSDeputy; 07-10-2015, 11:23 AM.

Comment

From my own experience and training.

If you feel threatened - your too late. They will get the first punch.

If you see a threat - again your too late. They will get the first punch.

If you let them to get within 21 feet (7 yards). They can reach you before you can pull a weapon out.

So always pull your weapon, keep it along your side, long before the three items above happen.

As you approach the individual(s) stop them within 25 feet. Do not let them get any closer. If a group, call only one forward to talk, again stop 25 feet away. If possible, keep to good cover.

Comment

Working...
                  X