9mm handgun suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amy -

I would also really suggest the S&W Bodyguard! At least go check one out. I have been carrying it in an ankle holster for the last week. (Testing it for my wife). Like I said in my review, I like it so much that I'm buying one for myself. It is an AMAZING everyday carry pistol.

Also, the .380 ACP is really a 9mm short.

-Buggy
    I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

For some unexplained reason I posted in a thread that had absolutely nothing to do with Amy's question. So, I will re-post it here in the correct location, thank you very much.

"I have purchased two handguns for my wife over the years. The first was a Taurus 85 .38 SS with a 2" barrel. She never became comfortable with it and it now resides in a laundry room drawer. The second was a Springfield XD9 sub-compact in 9mm. She used it in class to qualify for her CCW, but it fell into disuse due to the fact that she didn't have the upper-body strength to reliably work the slide. It now resides in a bedroom drawer. I was buying what I thought she needed. What SHE liked, and took as her own, was my Ruger LCP in .380. It conceals easily. Its accurate for its intended purpose. She is good with it. She is comfortable with it. And, most importantly... she carries it everywhere. I'm not going to debate the .380 round vs others. But a .380 in your hand is a lot better than the 9mm sitting in a drawer at home because someone else picked the 9mm out for you and you don't like it and therefore leave it at home.

You got good advice. Go out and shoot a bunch of different handguns and choose the one that works best for Amy. Then buy a solid gun belt and quality holster thats makes carrying your new little friend comfortable, and get really good with it."

Comment

Originally posted by jezcruzen View Post
        For some unexplained reason I posted in a thread that had absolutely nothing to do with Amy's question. So, I will re-post it here in the correct location, thank you very much.

"I have purchased two handguns for my wife over the years. The first was a Taurus 85 .38 SS with a 2" barrel. She never became comfortable with it and it now resides in a laundry room drawer. The second was a Springfield XD9 sub-compact in 9mm. She used it in class to qualify for her CCW, but it fell into disuse due to the fact that she didn't have the upper-body strength to reliably work the slide. It now resides in a bedroom drawer. I was buying what I thought she needed. What SHE liked, and took as her own, was my Ruger LCP in .380. It conceals easily. Its accurate for its intended purpose. She is good with it. She is comfortable with it. And, most importantly... she carries it everywhere. I'm not going to debate the .380 round vs others. But a .380 in your hand is a lot better than the 9mm sitting in a drawer at home because someone else picked the 9mm out for you and you don't like it and therefore leave it at home.

You got good advice. Go out and shoot a bunch of different handguns and choose the one that works best for Amy. Then buy a solid gun belt and quality holster thats makes carrying your new little friend comfortable, and get really good with it."
        Ha ha! Jez! I did that too a few days ago. I was wondering about that.

-Buggy
        I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

Best thing for any lady is to go to the range and try out different types of guns. I have a shot gun, rifle, S&W 45 and S&W 22. for carry I have a ruger 380 semi but is hard for me to use with my hands which are hurting now just trying to type. I to am looking for something easier and we are going to have a gun shop opening up near us soon, so I am holding out to see what they will have. I was told that I could put strips of Velcro on each side of my ruger and it would be easier to pull back but then I was told you had to do it a certain way so I have not tried it yet. They said some of the military do it to make it easier and faster to pull back.

Comment

AJ: You may want to consider a small revolver rather than a semi-auto. My wife cannot rack a slide, period. She struggles no matter how easy we try to make it; no matter how light the caliber. God forbid, you get into a situation where you need to use the gun, and have difficulty, or simply cannot get it to work. Better to be able to point, and pull the trigger even if it is a .22, and know it is going to fire.

Just my humble opinion.
            The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

My wife attempts holding the pistol out in front of her and working the slide with her other hand, using her shoulder muscles. Its difficult, and I don't think good control of the weapon is maintained.

I tried to show her that she could hold the pistol across her chest and, keeping fingers away from the trigger and gripping the slide with her left hand (she's right-handed), PUSH with both hands towards the center using her chest muscles to work the slide. It really is a bit easier, and the weapon is keep close to the body, not sticking out in front, for better control. Try it, AJ.

Comment

Jez,

My wife is incapable of working a semi auto slide any other way than the way you described. She hold the pistol flat against her chest (just above her sternum) And "presses" in to work the slide.
                The video I attached shows the method, even though she is holding it too low. You are much stronger working at chest level. But she did show good trigger safety.

"Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

I use that method myself, and I'm a pretty strong dude. Work smarter not harder, right? ;-)

Comment

I do too. I am trying to get real consistent on how I change magazines so I can get smooth and fast. So I decided to pick this method.
                    "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Amy,
                      I bought my now ex-wife a Springfield Armory XD-9 and she loves it.

Comment

Glock 19 best all around 9 mm I have ever owned.
                        Robert W
                        Last edited by countryboy6685; 06-09-2014, 03:52 PM. Reason: left out e- in owned
                        Democracy Will Cease To Exist When You Take Away From Those Who Are Willing To Work And Give to Those Who Are Not.-Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Myakka, that video is much like I use my ruger but I hold it up a bit higher to the chest. It is very hard for me to grip anything. I drop things and don't realize that I never had much hold on what I am holding. I don't like to use glass because I have dropped things to easy. I used my ruger when I took the classes for my concealed weapons permit and was having trouble but was able to compensate. I just don't want to one day get caught up in a situation where I have to use it and then find I can't. I am waiting for the new gun shop to open up to see what they have. I am thinking of buying a small revolver as I used one at the class and it was a lot easier for me to handle.

Comment

.....or maybe think about trying the shortest carbine available. They can still be important in home defense use.

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                              Myakka, that video is much like I use my ruger but I hold it up a bit higher to the chest. It is very hard for me to grip anything. I drop things and don't realize that I never had much hold on what I am holding. I don't like to use glass because I have dropped things to easy. I used my ruger when I took the classes for my concealed weapons permit and was having trouble but was able to compensate. I just don't want to one day get caught up in a situation where I have to use it and then find I can't. I am waiting for the new gun shop to open up to see what they have. I am thinking of buying a small revolver as I used one at the class and it was a lot easier for me to handle.

Comment

Good call Defcon

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Rossi...un/1370962.uts

Click image for larger version

Name:	canvas.png
Views:	1
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	187762

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X