9mm handgun suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9mm handgun suggestions

My Grandma left me some money..... I want to invest in a 9mm handgun, but I really don't know what to get.... something easy to use, take care of, and fire.... I don't want to spend more than a grand, including ammo.....

Suggestions please!

I sent you some thoughts, but I will repeat a little of it here:

Find a range that rents pistols. Take a couple of the ones that folks recommend, and ask to shoot them. Tell them you are looking to buy, and want to see what fits your hand.

I have owned Rugers and Glocks, and loved both. I found the Glock to be too small for my hand.
    "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Hey! I just realized...... I can get you a "special" deal on a Hi-Point 9mm pistol, only $900, leaving you some cash for ammo.

You are so LUCKY to have a friend like me!
      "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Ha! You'd have to PAY me $900 to take that Hi-Point off your hands. Then I would use it as a boat anchor. :cool:

Amy -

Glock 19 or Glock 26. They are reliable as hell and girly-girls shoot them well. Hey, that rhymed.

Seriously....

You'll thank me later.

-Buggy
        I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

I don't own a HiPoint, but I think I can get one for about $150, but Shhhhh! don't tell Amy. She isn't too bright, so I think I can make a few bucks.

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

To quote Amy..... Ewwwwwwwwe.

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Interesting, the direction this thread went.

On the other side, I'd suggest a Glock 19 (My personal carry) or a Walther P99 for a smaller hand. Just my .02 cents.

Dale

Comment

My recommendation would be a Sig Sauer. They are a little more high end, but you should be able to get one NIB (New In Box) for $800 or so. They are beautifully balanced, and disassemble very easily. Remember, you will have to disassemble the gun to clean it.

I would second Myakka's recommendation to go to a range where you can rent different models. You want something that feels good in your hand, and you are comfortable shooting. If it doesn't feel good you won't practice, and you won't become proficient.

Good luck. Let us know what you buy.
                The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by dalewick View Post
                  Interesting, the direction this thread went.

On the other side, I'd suggest a Glock 19 (My personal carry) or a Walther P99 for a smaller hand. Just my .02 cents.

Dale
                  You are correct Dale! I apologize. :)

-Buggy

Comment

Originally posted by Buggyout View Post
                    You are correct Dale! I apologize. :)

-Buggy
                    Buggy,

Nothing to apologize for. I was enjoying it and laughing. Need all the laughter I can get these days. Sorry, if I sounded condemning as it was not my intent. Please don't change.

Dale

Comment

(Rolling eyes) yeti, it will be a cold day in SE Florida during a hurricane before I ever fall for one of your lame ploys..... mama didn't raise no stupid skunk apes.....

Definitely going to go to a range and try some out.... wish one of you guys could go with me..... husband is afraid of handguns..... I need to rent a Redneck.....

Comment

Ha ha! Rent a redneck. Look for police trade-ins for the Glock. You'll save a ton of money and get a broken in gun. Some gun shops have them. You and your hubby can come up here, and I'll get you one. I still get a LEO discount.

-Buggy

Comment

My .38 Special is a police trade in..... love it......

Comment

A few questions for you first.

1. Why are you buying a pistol?

2. What are you going to use it for? Hunting, shooting or self defense...

3. When will you carry it? Daily, only to the range, keep it at home....

4. If this is for self defense at home: Why a pistol? There is a better home defense weapon called a 20 ga. shotgun. You can use it easier when in a self-defense at home with rounds that will not go thru walls. All 9mm round will go thru a wall. A 20 ga. shotgun is made for women and youths. Uses the same type of rounds 00 buck, No. 4 shot and slugs but has less recoil.

5. Do you want a revolver with 5/6 rounds but a lot more accurate and less moving parts. or a 9mm Semi-Auto pistol with 10-18 rounds with many moving parts. In the Semi-Auto pistol the best by far is the GLOCK due to its fewer number of moving parts.

Comment

I have a 20 gauge shotgun for home defense.... I want the pistol to carry with me.... EDC.... I have a 38 Special revolver, but it is kind of bulky for me to be carrying around.... I want something more compact.... something petite, like me...... shut up, myakka.....

Comment

Working...
                              X