A handy book that may lead to a set.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A handy book that may lead to a set.

My fiance got me this for Christmas. It covers everything, albeit sometimes briefly, that you should know about survival. The same author has also written an entire book on edible plants which I would like to add to my library. Worth picking up, even though he can sound a little too spiritual at times for my taste. http://www.amazon.com/Browns-Field-G...0918881&sr=8-2
    Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim.
    ~ Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you.-Ovid

Mus uni non fidit antro.
    ~ A mouse does not rely on just one hole.-Plautus

Non semper erit aestas
    ~ It will not always be summer.

Have not seen this one yet... but have several of his books on tracking and primitive wilderness skills. Tom Brown is certainly a gifted person when it comes to the old ways :)

later,
    ZA

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to
    beat you to death with it because it is empty.

The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

Comment

I have 4 books that I have found very useful.

Complete Outdoors Encyclopedia: Covers everything from guns to sighting to first aid and almost everything you can think of.

Outdoor Survival: Very informative on a wide range of subjects.

U.S Army Survival Manual: Lots of good info on defense.

Dr.s Book of Home Remedies. Very useful even now.

Also have the Reloaders Bible. Great gun info.Don't use this one as much but good reference book.
      You can't get here from there. ;)

Comment

Tom Brown is a great resource on survival, tracking, and a variety of outdoors skills. He also wrote a book called Way of the Scout which tells several accounts of how he learned his skills from a Native American he called grandfather. I have several of his books and find them very easy to read, and quick to pick up and put down and not feel like I was missing something.
        Hollywood made a movie based on Tom Brown Jr. called Hunted, it had Tommy Lee Jones in it, I'm sure most of you have seen it or heard of it. A very neat flick about Military special forces and survival training, and it has some wild knife fights in it.
        He also has a survival school in east NJ, that even while I was stationed near never had the chance to attend, I'm still planning on perhaps making a special trip there to attend, but who knows.

Comment

Thought this could use a bump...

I don't have any of Mr Brown's books yet but I'm going to keep my eye out.

a few of the ones I do have on the shelf that I'm slowly working on reading thru are:

"Primitive Wilderness Living & Survival Skills" - John & Geri McPherson

"Outdoorsman's Handbook" - Clyde Ormond

"Country Wisdom Almanac"

and from Bradford Angier -
          "Survival With Style"

"Field Guide to Edible Plants"

"Field Guide to Medicinal Wild Plants"
          I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Some experts think Brown is shady. His stories of the Indian father figure don’t jive with his known real upbringing.

I don’t really mind embellishment as long as the information is sound. And it seems like his is comparing it to others.

I have one of his books and thought it was interesting enough to keep.
            "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Working...
            X