No announcement yet.

Pemmican

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good thread. Will have to give this a try. I bookmarked it so I can go to it later to print out and make.
    AJ

Comment

Okay you can't make it from commercial jerkey (already salted) but you might make a small batch with (1/4 cup each) to see what it tastes like. If you won't eat it then you haven't wasted much. Oh, and I guess you need to dry the raisins out more until they are dry enough to powder? Love my blueberries to much to take a chance on even 1/4 cup. If I use beef, can I use lard (pork fat) or should i use tallow (beef fat)?

Comment

Great thread. Good job on the how to. We need more ideas like this. When you are bugging out you need food that is high in energy and low in weight. Even when you are in your final BOL; you need variety in what you eat, and this has many medical and health benefits that have not been discussed here.

Comment

I read somewhere that if you coat a ball of dried meat/berries with the fat it lasts longer than if it is all just mixed together like the recipe here mentions. Does anyone know if this is true?

Comment

Okay a little necroposting here. LOL I just read about Pemmican and was wondering if anyone has actually tried it. The recipe I have is alittle different than the one posted on page 1. The one I have said it will keep for a year or longer if stored in a cool dark place.
            Anyone that would give up freedom for security, deserves neither. ~ Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
            X