water, gas/diesel, and propane storage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post

Good points Murphy and it also brings up the fact that just because we're maybe sitting on a truckload of food, we still need to ration out that food to make it go longer and to better blend in. Hey we all know that the majority of the US overeats and we consume way to many calories. Yes we and our kids will complain as we adjust to eating smaller portion sizes but it'll make food last longer, we will loose weight and we won't be the "fat" family on the block while everyone else is wandering around having lost 6 pant sizes. Also the smell of cooking food travels a great distance so also something to keep in mind as you cook up that pot of chilly or stew, hungry neighbors will have very keen noses.
    Oh man, I have so much to do to convert my property into defense mode, I'll probably lose weight just being so darn active. I have almost a thousand 55 gal drums to be positioned and filled with soil for ballistic barriers, chain link fence to go over windows, 5kW of off grid solar to set up, neighbors to organize, parameter alarms to set up, etc etc. I'll be busy for weeks and probably dropping lots of my fat because of it.

As for that truckload of food... what kind of truck are we talking about???? LOL After I read that, I came to the conclusion that if I emptied out all my storage shelves, I'd probably have about 3 to 4 pickup trucks loaded just in food..

Comment

These are all good points. Hubby and I only eat 2 meals a day and have been doing so for a long time.. Breafast and dinner. We are normally so busy during the day, we forget about lunch. I have heard of people using coffee grounds two or three times for making coffee just to save on coffee. I have not tried it but understand that each time you reuse the grounds the coffee is weaker with each pot. Don't know if I want to try that but might be something to think about if we ever have a situation where we will have to ration. All this rain we have had has caused farmers in Pungo VA to loose a lot of their crops so I see higher prices coming to the stores within the next few months. We have had anywhere from 5 to over 12 inches of rain depending on what area you live in the tidewater area.. Flooding as well has happened in many places. My home town of Lynchburg is in trouble now as the College Lake river is overflowing and the dam may not hold. I talked with some cousins of mine and they said they are doing evacuations now. So many reasons to be prepared.

Comment

AJ, hope your family is safe and out of harms way. We've been getting crazy rain and flooding up here also. worst isn't right here where I'm at but about 25-35 miles east of us. then was more rain this week. week before last there were people that in 2 days got 8-10 inches of rain, that's almost never heard of in this area.

Murphy, good point... lets say a midsize U-Haul... lol
        I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post

Murphy, good point... lets say a midsize U-Haul... lol
          Packed top to bottom the entire 17 feet? WOW.. I don't have that much food.. I have enough for three adults and a child for a year if we ration and don't count what we find outdoors. If we add in the fruit trees, wild game and the garden, I could probably go two years..

Comment

We had enough for 2 years for 8 people and that is now down to maybe one year. With the AAAA climate controlled storage unit. I am going to build that back up.. But a lot of non food items will be in it as well. Charcoal, cat little and water filters that I have for extra. My berkey will stay at house with 2 extra sets of filters. I have about 10 water cans each will hold 6 gallons of water. We have had to use them in past for hurricane season. Will keep them at house for now as we are getting ready to fill them up for this years hurricane season.. We have been blessed with the fact we have not had it bad where we are but my daughter lost water and electric where she used to live as well as the neighborhood next to ours. All we lost was electric and no damage in our neighborhood. But you never know as it only takes one hurricane.

Comment

Working...
            X