Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pandemic Lesson Number 005 - Pandemic list to end all List

Pandemic Lesson Number 005 - Pandemic list to end all List

OK now lets talk about lists. It is a simple as a single piece of paper with different things you find important to have or need.

My list and suggestions follow:

1) Food/water - what I have currently and what I want on hand within the next 6 months. Water preps include 55 gal drums, water filers, etc.

2) Medical - a complete medical bag and additional OTC medications I want on hand.

3) Tools - Tools (hand) that I want to have on hand to do wood/metal work and what to have in a take along if I have to leave.

4) Shelter- listing things you use for camping that can be used if electrical power fails ie sleeping bags, stove, cook gear also for take along.

I thought long and hard about the lists and reviewed them all the time. I looked at all lists I could find on the net at the time. There is alot of good info out there. Some items can get expensive like personal power (solar) for your house. But you can find others that use a common sense approach. A list is what you want it to become either a shopping or learning to cope list.

DOCUMENTS -other then the ones discussed in other pandemic lessons

Emergency preparedness manual
    copy of your disaster plan
    your emergency contacts list Equipment
    Personal identification cards
    Cash and coins
    Credit cards
    Extra set of house keys and car keys
    Inventory of household goods
    Insurance papers
    Bank and credit card account numbers
    Stocks and bonds
    Emergency contact list and phone numbers
    Map of the area and phone numbers of places

SHELTER IN PLACE (SIP)

Clothes and Bedding Supplies
    Complete change of clothes
    Sturdy boots
    Rain gear
    Hat and gloves
    Extra socks
    Extra underwear
    Thermal underwear for Winter
    Sunglasses
    Sleeping bags and pillows plus extra Blankets

FIRST-AID SUPPLIES
    This list is for pandemic specific items only .
    First aid manual
    Tongue depressor
    3 " x 3 " sterile gauze pads
    4 " x 4 " sterile gauze pads
    Adhesive tape, 2 " width
    Cotton balls
    Chap stick
    Sponges
    Cold pack
    Antiseptic wipes
    Instant cold pack
    Rubbing alcohol

PRESCRIPTION DRUGS -
    Tam-a-flu
    Broad spectrum antibiotic
    Pain relievers
    Cold/Flu remedies
    Nasal sprays

NON-PRESCRIPTION DRUGS -
    Activated charcoal (use if advised by the Poison Control Center)
    Pepito Bismol
    tums
    Antibacterial ointment
    adult ibuprofen
    acetaminophen
    milk of mag
    Antihistamine
    sinus decongestant
    cough suppressant and decongestant
    Soothe eye drops
    Hydrogen peroxide
    Epsom salts
    Vaseline
    triple antibiotic cream
    anti itch cream
    Cold medication
    nasal spray
    Sambucol
    Zicam
    Ossillococcinum
    NyQuil
    iodine
    ammonia inhalants
    Calamine lotion
    Anti-diarrhea medication
    electrical lite liquids to replace loss chemicals and minerals lost from the body. (Power Ade)

MEDICAL KITS/TOOLS
    -
    Blood Pressure Kit
    Surgical Field Kit
    Dental Field Kit
    Irrigation syringe
    Pen light
    Stethoscope
    Pairs large, medical grade, non-latex gloves
    Ace-type bandages
    latex gloves
    eye dropper

WATER & PURIFICATION/FILTER KITS -
    You can live for about 5 minutes without air but will die after 4 days without water.
    Store a minimum of 6 gallons per day per person for 4 weeks (approximately 180 gallons per person). A cheap storage solution is "Water BOB" cost $20.00 to have 65-100 gallons of fresh water stored in your indoor bathtub.
    Water Filter Portable using a Counter Top Gravity Water Filter system
    Collect rain water using plastic sheeting and Plastic 30/55 gallon Water Storage Barrels
    5 gallon Collapsible Water Container(s) to transport water
    Purification can be done by filtering, boiling, bleach, and Water Purification Tabs
    Household liquid bleach to treat drinking water
    30/55 gallon drums with facets

FOOD -
    you can survive on water for up to 30 days without food, but by day 8 you may become bed-ridden. Next to water, food is a vital part of any preparedness plan. Food considerations you should be looking at when making your emergency kits are emergency foods that have a long storage life and that are made to be non-thirst provoking and are not effected by extreme heat or cold. Lifeboat "Emergency Rations" are ideal for this use. Foods for home reserves should consist of both normal store bought foods (a 2 to 4 week supply on hand) and a variety of long storing freeze-dried, canned, and dehydrated foods. Foods should be lightweight, compact, and require no refrigeration, little preparation or cooking. For long term storage, freeze-dried foods are my #1 recommendation. Freeze-dried foods like Mountain House® have up to a 25 year shelf-life, making them ideal for emergency backup.

FOOD SUPPLIES EMERGENCY
    Freeze-Dried Foods in Pouches (Meals Ready to Eat MRE)
    Dried fruits and vegetables
    Dry soup
    Dessert in a box

LIQUIDS - Water, Powdered milk, Instant coffee/tea, High-Energy Drinks, Canned or boxed juices

SNACKS - Cookies, hard candy, crackers, trail mix, cheese wiz, Peanut butter and jelly

FRESH ITEMS - Bread, Butter, Eggs, Fresh fruits, and vegetable

STORED FOODS - Dried fruit and veggies, saltine crackers, bagged cookies, nutrition bars, snack crackers, peanut butter, beef jerky, Gatorade, nutrition shakes, potato chips, breakfast bars, rice crispy treats, pet food & treats, bottled water (1 gal./day/person) Baking mixes - cookie, bread, muffin, pancake, pie, especially ones that do not need eggs Baking powder Baking soda Barley Bay leaves (insects avoid foods like flour with a bay leaf stored inside the bag) Beans-dry beans (pinto, kidney, black) all types Bottled drinks and juices Bullion, concentrated broth Butter Flakes & flavoring, like Molly Butter. Powdered Buttermilk Candy – hard, chewing gum, chocolate, Gummies, mints, chocolate bars, CANNED FOODS: beans, broth, chicken, chili, tomatoes, sauces, fried onions, fruit, canned milk, pie filling, pumpkin, salmon, soups, stew, sweet potatoes, tuna, vegetables, meats mushrooms, (chicken, turkey, beef, spam, ham), Cans of lemonade mix, other canned dry drink mixes Cheese dips in jars Cheese in Wax Cheese soups, like cheddar, broccoli cheese, and jack cheese Chinese food ingredients Chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, mint chocolate chips, butterscotch chips Chocolate syrup, strawberry syrup squeeze bottles (about that dry milk, again) Coffee filters (also for straining silt out of water) Corn Masa de Harina or corn tortilla mix Corn meal Corn starch for thickening Cream of Wheat Cream soups (good for flavoring rice & pasta, too) Crisco, plain & butter flavored Dried eggs Dried fruit Dried mushrooms Dried onion (big containers at warehouse stores) Dried soups Dry cocoa Dry coffee creamer (big sealed cans, many uses including making dry milk taste better) Dry Mustard Flour, self rising flour Flour tortilla mix for flour tortillas, wraps, and flat-bread Flours - rice, etc. Wheat can be hard on children’s stomachs - Gluten Free Pantry has rice fours and mixes that are great - Whole Foods carries them FLUFF Garlic powder Granola bars (not great shelf life) Hard candy Herbs & Spices Honey Hot chocolate mix Instant coffee if you drink it, or coffee and a manual drip cone or similar Instant mashed potatoes Jarred or canned spaghetti sauce Jarred peppers Jellies and Jams Jerky Ketchup Kool Aid, Lard, Manteca (good in beans, substitute for bacon or salt pork, tortilla making, many other uses) Large packages dry pasta, thinner type saves fuel Milk – powered, canned, store-able, Marshmallows Mayo in small jars Mayo packets from warehouse store, if you must, not really a good value. Mexican food ingredients Mustard Nestle Table Cream (substitute for sour cream, cream, or half-and-half) Nuts (freeze if you have room) Oatmeal OILS (all kinds - short shelf life so rotate VERY IMPORTANT- you cannot cook without it Olive, Canola, Sunflower, Safflower, Sesame, Olives, green and black Onions & Onion powder Pasta (small cook faster) Pasta Sauces canned, dried, Packaged bread crumbs Pancake mix, one step, and other mixes that already have the eggs in them Parmesan Peanut butter, nut butters Pepper Pet food Potatoes - you can grow others from eyes Pickles, relish (not refrigerator case type) Popcorn - loose as well as bags Power bars Raisins Ramon Ravioli or canned pastas Real butter or favorite margarine-keep frozen if you can. Butter keeps a long time in cool temps) Recharge or electrolyte drinks Rice Salsa and hot sauces Salt Sourdough starter Spam Spices and herbs your family likes Stove top Dressing mix Sugar -brown and white, powdered Sweetened condensed milk Tea - ginger and herbal Tortillas Trail mix Ultra pasteurized milk (expensive) Vanilla (improves dry milk, too) Velveeta (watch carton date, freeze for storage if possible) Vienna sausage Vinegar Yeast, Pet food

CLEANING/HYGIENE SUPPLIES - Personal Hygiene, Soap, Mirror, Vitamins, Shampoo, Washcloth, towels, Tooth paste, toothbrushes, comb, and brush, Deodorant, Sunscreen, Hand sanitizer, Razor, shaving cream, Feminine supplies

CLEANING PRODUCTS - Other then discussed in other Pandemic lessons - Ammonia, Bleach, Lysol spray/ antibacterial spray, Liquid dish detergent, laundry detergent, liquid hand soap, Mops, buckets, plastic trash , barrels, sponges, spray bottles, scrub brushes, low wide containers to clean shoes

LAUNDRY SUPPLIES - Other then discussed in other Pandemic lessons - Clothesline, clothespins, buckets, gloves, pail with mop press for washing,large plastic buckets

EMERGENCY TOOLS -
    Flashlight and extra batteries, Signal flares, Matches in a waterproof container, Compass, Duct tape scissors, Whistle, Portable, battery-powered radio or television and extra batteries, Plastic sheeting, Shut-off wrench, pliers, shovel, Small canister ABC-type fire extinguisher, Emergency Tube tents, Work gloves, Needles and thread, Battery-operated travel alarm clock

HINT: HAVE ALL BATTERY USED ITEMS USE THE SAME SIZE BATTERY.

KITCHEN SUPPLIES - Manual can opener, (Paper cups, plates, and plastic utensils for use once water becomes a issue)
    All-purpose kitchen knife, camping stove and an energy source

COMMUNICATIONS -
    The need to know what is happening and recommended evacuation routes is essential. Also helps kill time and lessens stress when no TV or power is available. Cell Phone w/12 v charger and extra cell phone batteries. AM/FM/SW radio w/battery/solar/hand cranked, Battery operated TV,Solar Battery charger

EMERGENCY LIGHTING - Have several backup sources of light. Be sure to store plenty of extra batteries & bulbs. LED flashlights and lanterns will provide longer light use but not as bright of light. Local officials will tell you when you can leave the room in which you are sheltering.

HINT: USE SOLAR OUTDOOR LIGHTS INSIDE AT NIGHT AS NIGHT LIGHTS.

Recommended Books - "Sense of Survival", "Preparing for Emergencies”, "Survival in Today's Turbulent Times", and "72 Hour Preparedness Checklist"

DIVERSIONS - You will go nutty within 4 days with nothing to do but watch the clock or look out a window. The human mind needs active stimulation daily. - chocolate, comfort foods, hobby items, paper, pens/pencils, painting supplies, watercolor supplies, clay, crayons, markers, puzzles, crossword puzzles, word search books, board games, books, bible, music, cds, dvds, portable players, portable battery speakers, instruments and supplies, strings, picks, rosin, pencil sharpener, stapler, tape, glue, scrapbook items, knitting, bead work, needlework, sewing supplies, paint, paintbrush etc. printer paper and ink cartridges, stamps,

NICE TO HAVE AVAILABLE -
    tin foil, coffee, personal care products, alcohol, cigarettes, food, clothing, Cash in small bills, candles, tea lights, emergency, and votive, batteries, rechargeable batteries, inverters, back up power source, battery operated radio & TV, flashlights, compact fluorescent bulbs, light bulbs, solar lights, propane tanks & adapter, kerosene oil, kerosene lamp, shovel, 2×4 wood planks (windows), plywood (windows), rope, cord, camp cook stove with propane tanks, 5 gal. Gasoline, GASOLINE STABILIZER, garbage bags,Plastic trash bags- you can never have enough and they never go bad, all sizes from snack to gallon zip- loc bags, latex gloves, sheets, blankets, pillows, cell phone batteries, wind up cell phone charger, walkie-talkies, water purification system, plastic sheets, duck tape, zipper door from Home Depot, household tools, nails, contamination sign, shovel, plastic tarps, pots & pans, metal barrel, pocket knives, potable water (in bathtubs, old milk jugs and plastic containers), firewood, outdoor fire pit, solar oven, charcoal, charcoal lighter fluid, TONS of matches, lighters, buckets (to wash clothes, dishes), broom, water hose, hose adapter for sink, plastic garbage containers, ice chests, spray bottles, Heat, water, waste disposal, decontamination area, isolation room for anyone who gets sick, cooking systems, cleaning systems for laundry & dishes, light, communication, maps, crank cell phone charger, (TV/radio with battery backup), protection from intruders, wasp spray-sprays 20 ft., outside protection (wild fires & birds), pet waste, fire protection inside, battery operated smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, power systems (generator, solar, battery etc.), transportation (car, motorcycle, bicycle), whistles, emergency flares, fishing poles & equipment, needle & thread bike, bike, tire pump, non hybrid herb and vegetable seeds, seed starter kit. solar outdoor lights, flints, regular & heavy duty extension cords, lanterns, oil, extra wicks, clothes pins, detergent, steel wool, fire starters, pail with mop press for washing, metal trash can (if you needed to burn paper or other items)Toilet paper, paper towels, baby wipes, paper cups, small and large, paper plates, paper napkins, plastic ware, feminine products, cotton balls, q-tips, Kleenex antiviral, goggles, hair covers, N95 masks, lots of tin foil, plastic wrap, paper bags, Paper leaf bags, wax paper, plastic containers, plastic zip lock bags (all sizes), old newspapers paper cups, fuses, wiper fluid, brake fluid, oil, emergency kit, flares, candles, matches, water, emergency blanket, maps

Ok.....that IS the list to end all lists.....well done, sir....

:)

Comment

28 April 2013 -

US health leader warns of human-to-human H7N9 bird flu

AFP - There is no evidence that the deadly H7N9 bird flu has yet spread between humans in China but health authorities must be ready for the virus to mutate at any time, a top US virologist has warned.

Anthony Fauci, the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), said officials in China had studied more than 1,000 close contacts of confirmed cases and not found any evidence of human-to-human transmission.

"That is powerful evidence because if you had a thousand contacts with someone with the flu you would be pretty sure some of them would have been infected," Fauci said in an interview with AFP.

Nevertheless, Fauci cautioned that authorities needed to be ready for the possibility of the virus mutating and spreading between humans.

"It's unpredictable as are all the influenza
      . One of the things we need to be concerned about is this might gain the capability of going human-to-human which up to this point has not happened and is somewhat encouraging news," Fauci said.

"But we still need to be very prepared for the eventuality of that happening."

Researchers are already developing a diagnostic test to identify H7N9, along with a vaccine, with clinical trials due in July or August.

"Work is under way on making a diagnostic test to be able to pick it up quickly," Fauci said.

"We have already started on an early development of a vaccine as we did with H5N1 years ago... Hopefully, we will never have to use it."

More than 110 people in mainland China have been confirmed to be infected with H7N9, with 23 deaths, since Beijing announced on March 31 that the virus had been found in humans.

Most of the cases have been located in eastern China, although Taiwan has reported one case. Another case has been found in southern China, while Chinese officials confirmed a further outbreak in the central province of Hunan.

Chinese authorities have identified poultry as the source of the virus and have confirmed that patients became sick from contact with infected live fowl.

A visiting team from the World Health Organization, which wrapped up a week-long visit to China on Wednesday, said there had been no human-to-human transmission but warned H7N9 was "one of the most lethal" influenza viruses ever seen.

Fauci praised Beijing for its handling of the current crisis, contrasting it to the response of the outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome in 2002-2003, when China stood accused of covering-up the scale of the crisis.

"It was not the case with SARS in 2003 but the transparency has been excellent," Fauci said. "I am quite satisfied with the Chinese response."

Fauci likened the current H7N9 strain of bird flu "in some respects" to the H5N1 bird flu strain of several years ago.

"The similarities are that it is fundamentally a chicken or bird flu that jumps from chicken to humans and is quite severe when it infects humans," he said.

However, Fauci added: "The difference between H7N9 and H5N1, is that H5N1 kills chickens very rapidly so it is easy to identify where the infected flocks of chickens are. H7N9 doesn't make the chicken sick, so it has been difficult to pinpoint where the infected chickens are."

There have been 566 confirmed cases of the H5N1 strain of bird flu, which killed 332 people in the world -- a mortality rate of 58 percent, compared to 20 percent for the H7N9 bird flu strain.

The H1N1 "swine flu" pandemic o 2009, which appeared in Mexico at the same time of year as the H7N9, eventually infected 60 million people throughout the world and killed more than 12,000.

The 1918 Spanish flu, which has been called one of the deadliest plagues in human history, had a mortality rate of only two percent

Comment

Originally posted by NRAamy View Post
        Ok.....that IS the list to end all lists.....well done, sir....

:)

With all the lists on this and other forums I had to call it something! So I put most everything in it including the toilet and kitchen sink!

PS: Make sure you have plenty of toilet paper and wet wipes for the sick room

Comment

Rich,

I ordered the plastic matress cover and plastic pillow covers from Amazon....along with a bunch of other medical crap I didn't yet have....nice to get free shipping and no sales tax....

I have a lot of the stuff on your lists....my main concern is water....I have some stored, and I have a Water Bob I can fill up in the bathtub....also, two lakes near my home, both well within walking distance... I have several ways to filter and purify water....I still worry about it though....going out to get it if a pandemic is going on will not be fun....I figure goggles, mask and gloves is the best I can do....oh, and my trusty Elmo to keep people at a distance.....

;)

Comment

That is a killer list! Good work.

May I add an item?

To prevent an aerosol virus from getting out of a quarantine room, it is a good idea to lower the pressure in that room. This can be done by forcing air out of that room to the outside. A powerful fan sealed to a window frame, capped with a HEPA filter will allow for air evacuation. The H7N9 virus itself is small enough to get through a HEPA filter. But it will be trapped it attached to a particle.

A similar fan at the other end of the house blowing in will help pressurize all rooms other than the quarantine room. SEAL OFF THE HVAC DUCT! Make SURE it is positively sealed, and the return, if present.

A UV air sterilizer will do wonders for killing airborne virus particles left moving about in the room.

Comment

A very good list

Comment

all items listed are finite and have a time limit.
                the only things that will last a lifetime are skills and the knowledge to use those skills.

Comment

Working...
                X