X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dw21gw21
    replied
    footwear

Three pair hiking boots, one brand new, three pair of work boots, one new, two pair of hunting boots. All water proof. All but hiking boots at least 400 gram insulation, so I think i'm pretty set.
    Last edited by dw21gw21; 08-25-2012, 08:21 PM. Reason: grammer, missing words

Leave a comment:

• CountryGuy
    replied
    I'm mainly Rocky and lean to gortex and thinsulate. Have a pair of felt lined Sorels for heavy winter, LeCrosse knee highs for wet weather, Bates zip up Gortex (the boots I wear on the cycle) and a pair or Merrell hike shoes that I replaced my sneakers with since they're lighter and give better support. Plus they don't have holes in them :) also have an older pair of Red Head hikers from Bass Pro that have worn excellent for me over the years

I hadn't thought about doing the several sizes bigger for the kids but I'll start on that next sale we have.

Where do you all find the best deals? I typically hit a few boot barns near us that have great deals. I'm always leary to buy online as I have a time finding shoes and boots that fit properly and I don't want the hassel of sending them back and forth. I hate that sizes are no were close to being standard. in most shoes I wear a 13 wide though I have a pair of Justin cowboy boots that are a 11 1/2 wide and others that are 12. An issue I run into often is a 12 is tight and a 13 is loose. everything else now days they have mid sizes except shoes. Wish someone made shoes and boots in a 12 1/2 lol

Leave a comment:

• Morgan101
    replied
    I would have to say Lacrosse is my favorite. They were great right out of the box, with no break-in time at all. I also have Danners and a couple of other pair. Plenty of laces for several different kinds of shoes and boots. Probably enough shoes and boots to last through my lifetime if TSHTF.

Chefsimms: not to speak for 101Airborne, but a size larger and smaller is a good idea. Your feet continue to grow your whole lifetime, so in time you may need a larger size. A dramatic weightloss may require a smaller size. They would also be a great barter item if need be.

Leave a comment:

• dalewick
    replied
    Originally posted by Echo2 View Post
    Speaking of shoes....I'll let you guys in on a tip....

buy SHOE-GOO...or something comparable.....buy lots of it....but buy it in small containers.

I have had every tube of the stuff set in the neck after only a few months of being opened.....any....ANY air will cause it to set.

but it is a multi use adhesive....and you can rebuild a sole with it if necessary....patch clothes (no sewing)...adhere patches....make ghili suits....whatever....:)
    Have to agree, Shoo goo greatest stuff since duck tape.

Dale

Leave a comment:

• RICHFL
    replied
    Sence we all like a great deal look to the sports stores when hunting season (Deer) is over they always put their hunting boots on sale for over 35% off. I currently buy 2 pair a year for each member they break them in then put one away while using the other for every day wear. Buy waterproof if in wet or cold climate. but if in hot/damp weather something that dries quickly.

Hint Never wear cotton in cold climates because it can kill you. I have survived on the DMZ in Korea in winter, having nothing but summer uniform and a poncho w/liner. That happened to my once because the USMC did not have its winter gear ready for issue in an emergency. Its a lot different now then 1981. I never got caught like that again, while I was on active duty!

Leave a comment:

• Chefsimms
    replied
    Originally posted by 101airborne View Post
    I've got several pairs of the military surplus combat boots on hand 3 pairs in the size i wear, three in wife's size and three pairs in sizes larger and smaller than we wear. Along with keeping plenty of cotton and wool socks on hand for both of us.
    Just out of curiosity why the boots in a size smaller and a size larger???

Leave a comment:

• 101airborne
    replied
    I've got several pairs of the military surplus combat boots on hand 3 pairs in the size i wear, three in wife's size and three pairs in sizes larger and smaller than we wear. Along with keeping plenty of cotton and wool socks on hand for both of us.

Leave a comment:

• Applejack
    replied
    Originally posted by Chefsimms View Post
    I buy Rocky boots and Rocky postal work shoes; I usually buy them a few pair at a time…I always have a couple new pair of boots and shoes in my closet. I wait till I see the ones I want on sell at places like the sportsman guide. I work in a kitchen and am on my feet for many hours, and have tried most brands.
    Rocky is the choice for me, they do not require much break in time and last a very long time.
    Thanks Chefsims. I'll check it out and try some.
    AJ

Leave a comment:

• Chefsimms
    replied
    I buy Rocky boots and Rocky postal work shoes; I usually buy them a few pair at a time…I always have a couple new pair of boots and shoes in my closet. I wait till I see the ones I want on sell at places like the sportsman guide. I work in a kitchen and am on my feet for many hours, and have tried most brands.
    Rocky is the choice for me, they do not require much break in time and last a very long time.

Leave a comment:

• Applejack
    replied
    thanks for the reminder. I gave my boots to my grandaughter since we wore the same size. After I broke my little toe, I just never could wear them and some other shoes as well. I will have to go out to find me a pair of boots again. I had forgotten about this. hubby has two good pair of boots and still has his steal toe boots from when he worked and he can still wear those.
    AJ

Leave a comment:

• slowz1k
    replied
    Originally posted by unswydd View Post
    I wear only Keens. Great arch support and they really last. I wear them for everyday and for work. I have a labor intensive job and they're perfect! I also like the low cut hiker boot. I'm pretty hard on shoes so Keens fit the bill for me.
    I like them mostly because of the large toebox as I have frostbit toes on each foot and cannot wear just anything!
    I'm in the Keen camp as well. They fit so well that I got one pair that's a daily wear hiking boot, and an identical pair new in the box on standby. I wear gortex Bellevilles for dirtier and or colder duties

Leave a comment:

• TennOutdoors
    replied
    what? you folks wear shoes on days other than Sunday. LOL.

I have five pairs of Hiking boots. one pair of Justin ropers. and a pair of twenty year old flip flops LOL. thats it for me..

Leave a comment:

• Echo2
    replied
    Speaking of shoes....I'll let you guys in on a tip....

buy SHOE-GOO...or something comparable.....buy lots of it....but buy it in small containers.

I have had every tube of the stuff set in the neck after only a few months of being opened.....any....ANY air will cause it to set.

but it is a multi use adhesive....and you can rebuild a sole with it if necessary....patch clothes (no sewing)...adhere patches....make ghili suits....whatever....:)

Leave a comment:

• Echo2
    replied
    It's amazing how we can become loyalist to one perticular brand of shoe....:)

Leave a comment:

• unswydd
    replied
    I wear only Keens. Great arch support and they really last. I wear them for everyday and for work. I have a labor intensive job and they're perfect! I also like the low cut hiker boot. I'm pretty hard on shoes so Keens fit the bill for me.
    I like them mostly because of the large toebox as I have frostbit toes on each foot and cannot wear just anything!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X