Creative Survival

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creative Survival

Creativity and ingenuity applied at the right time can be lifesaving in a disaster. What are your favorite tips and tricks? I hope this thread grows into a collection of ideas that can make riding the STHF boat less tumultuous.

Something that seems so ordinary to you may be one of those "now why didn't I think of that?" moments to someone else.

For example, this Houstonian family solved the shelter problem when their home flooded... Even if you don't live in a flood zone, there are the so-called "100-year floods" or even 300, and 500-year floods...where your area generally does not flood, except once in a hundred years or more. It does not hurt to have a couple of sturdy axes and other supplies in the attic in case you have to hack your way out onto the roof to save yourself.

(Just in case this image goes *poof* over time, it is a photo of two tents pitched on top of the roof of a home surrounded by floodwaters resulting from Hurricane Harvey, 2017.)

ETA: To be sure, you would need to make sure the tent is anchored down securely with steel cables, etc. to prevent a high wind from tossing the tent along with the people inside into the water. That would suck, to drown inside a tent that you cannot get out of!

Click image for larger version  Name:	qpqg2ezwvjiz.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=d688356086f9490172c22acabc63a3b4e36ff8be.jpg Views:	2 Size:	69.0 KB ID:	216483

Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 10-25-2018, 01:36 PM.
    Genius is making a way out of no way.

Now THIS is real ingenuity: An old duck-hunter's trick to put out big fires when there is no water pressure...and the neighborhood is flooded:

(See video and details here)

https://www.fieldandstream.com/video...src=SOC&dom=fb

Two Arkansas firefighters helped Houston firefighters last week following Hurricane Harvey by using an old duck-hunting trick,Ozarks First reports.

Jason Hunt and Beau Bishop originally arrived in Texas to evacuate flooded homeowners by boat, but ended up at a house fire after spotting some black smoke. The local crew was chest deep in water with no hose pressure to douse the fire. So The Arkansas firefighters strapped a jet boat to a tree and let the motor rip. “Just an old duck hunter trick,” Bishop, a firefighter and outdoorsmen, told Ozarks First. “We’ll pin our boats to a tree in the woods and we’ll blow the ice out using our boat motors, so I thought it would be worth a try.”
    Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 10-27-2018, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Hurricane Irma, Florida 2017

Maybe the lid won't blow off this one...

Click image for larger version

Name:	roof tie downs emergency.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	216486

Comment

Here's why you should close the interior doors in your home during a hurricane...

https://disastersafety.org/ibhs-news...urricane-irma/

"Wind entering the home through an open or broken window, can create strong upward pressure on the roof. Closing interior doors helps compartmentalize the pressure inside the home into smaller areas reducing the overall force on the roof structure, which gives the roof a better chance of staying intact.

“The roof is your first line of defense against anything Mother Nature inflicts on a home, and during a bad storm your roof endures fierce pressure from wind, rain, and flying debris that may be outside,” said Julie Rochman, IBHS president and CEO. “But the roof also must withstand internal pressure if winds get inside. The pressure in your home can build like air in a balloon, eventually causing the roof to fail and blow apart..."

Hattip to RottieMom @TBM for this valuable find

Comment

So your crappy day doesn't get any crappier:

Five-gallon bucket with a secure lid, Stash inside the bucket: leak-proof bags, TP, newspapers or bags of sawdust (to cover and absorb "deposits" made in the bucket), wood ashes or lime (to sprinkle onto the solids for odor control), and if you need luxury, a toilet seat made specifically for using with a bucket.

Comment

From an old online friend who has passed on (hattip to hunter63):

From past experience......
            Keep a set of "contacts"...important phone numbers on a card.. preferably laminated, in your wallet.
            If your phone goes dead....you can't even look up the emergency numbers you need even with a borrowed phone.
            Charger or at least a cord with USB......

Meds list carried in your wallet as well......it can be read even if you are unconscious.

.....and most importantly:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	lifesavers-5-flavor-candy-rolls-2ct-5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	34.0 KB ID:	216497

Comment

I did not know that Hunter63 had died.
              One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

These are some ingenious people. Hurricanes are not a disaster we have to prepare for, but floods, earthquakes, and tornados are a real threat. We survived a 500 year flood. At least that is what they called it at the time. Turned out to be a 22 year flood, since 22 years later the same area flooded again, but even worse. Happened again the next year! WTF!?!?

One thing we have done is spread our preps over three levels: basement, 1st Floor/Garage, 2nd Floor. The preps we keep in the garage, which includes the BOB's, are on an exterior wall, so if the garage were to collapse we would know where to start breaking through. The plan/hope is that we could still get to supplies if an earthquake or tornado leveled everything. My car is also reasonably well stocked, so if the house was gone we would have something.

We have included a porta-potty with lime. We have the bucket arrangement, and also the medical version. They are not expensive, and it was a true necessity when my wife broke her hip.

https://www.healthproductsforyou.com...ntent=Commodes

Good thread Grizz. Makes you think things through. Interesting to see what others do.
                The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
                  So your crappy day doesn't get any crappier:

Five-gallon bucket with a secure lid, Stash inside the bucket: leak-proof bags, TP, newspapers or bags of sawdust (to cover and absorb "deposits" made in the bucket), wood ashes or lime (to sprinkle onto the solids for odor control), and if you need luxury, a toilet seat made specifically for using with a bucket.
                  The toilet seat is called a "luggable loo"
                  https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Prod.../dp/B07BQDQ7H9

Cedar chips work better than sawdust if you can get in SHTF. For now, walmart sells big bags of it for hamster/guinea pig bedding
                  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pet-s-Pic...cu-ft/40038084

If you get stuck using sawdust during SHTF, I recommend pine tree sawdust. It works fairly well.

Comment

Hattip to Yehudi for this gem:

If you are alone or with a small group and forced to evacuate/bugout in a bad SHTF situation, here is a good security measure:

I figure if I have to bug out and set up housekeeping in the mountains, my little camp could be viewed as an easy target for wandering opportunists. My solution:

I have 9 tents, 10 sleeping bags, and all sorts of duplicate (but lightweight) camping and cooking items. I would set up all the tents in a large circle surrounding an area with three campfires. Various pots, pans, utensils, and other items would be located around the areas of the campfires. To anyone passing by, it would look like a large group of people and they may pass on by. Even if I wasn't there, and they noticed it was deserted, they might think twice before stealing items from such a large group of people.

Another idea in cold weather is pitching a large tent, then pitching a smaller tent inside. That would keep the snow off the small tent and provide a large layer of calm air outside the smaller tent. Also, if a bear (or person) attacked, I could hear it when they were attacking the outer tent, long before my tent was collapsed, trapping me inside.

Comment

Working...
                    X