Storm Preparedness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storm Preparedness

I just saw this article, and thought it might be helpful. Hurricanes are not something I have to prepare for, but the takeaways make sense for any and all natural disasters. IMHO something that many of us already realize, but 72 hours isn't near enough. I would bump that up to a minimum of two weeks.

Enjoy: https://www.offgridweb.com/preparati...ma-responders/
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

One item to mention is that from a major storm do not expect to have your electrical back on in 2 days. Try 1+ years as is happening in PR!

Comment

Originally posted by RICHFL View Post
      One item to mention is that from a major storm do not expect to have your electrical back on in 2 days. Try 1+ years as is happening in PR!
      I will say PR the one year in PR is a unique case. The islands electrical grid sucked to start with and was a hodge-podge of grids that had issue with power being intermittent long before the storm hit. In fact that is one reason many of the manufacturer and hotels and such were down a relatively short time was since they already had large kilowatt generators for the power fluctuations. My employer is currently in the process of setting up a plant there and they have (2) 1kW generators with ability to get 3 or 4 more if need be. However another big issue is they all suck fuel.

Speaking of fuel, that is another issue with PR, they only have 2 power plants on the island that are old outdated technology oil burning plants. All the oil to fire them must be brought in by tankers I believe it's daily, maybe it was weekly, i don't completely recall right now..
      I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post

I will say PR the one year in PR is a unique case. The islands electrical grid sucked to start with and was a hodge-podge of grids that had issue with power being intermittent long before the storm hit. In fact that is one reason many of the manufacturer and hotels and such were down a relatively short time was since they already had large kilowatt generators for the power fluctuations. My employer is currently in the process of setting up a plant there and they have (2) 1kW generators with ability to get 3 or 4 more if need be. However another big issue is they all suck fuel.

Speaking of fuel, that is another issue with PR, they only have 2 power plants on the island that are old outdated technology oil burning plants. All the oil to fire them must be brought in by tankers I believe it's daily, maybe it was weekly, i don't completely recall right now..
        All the more reason to be familiar with your area's weaknesses and repair times. Living in a rural area downed lines due to thunderstorms, tornadoes and ice storms take much longer to repair than those in even the small towns. Worse case the small town (pop. 3,500) less than 5 miles from me had the power back in 4 days - other slighter larger town 12 miles from me had their's back in 2 days. Was 2 weeks before my power was back. Trees kept falling off and on for a week causing the power company to retrace their steps. Apparently the sector just to the west of me had not been properly maintained. My sector had but my power comes from the west. So I count on 2 to 4 weeks without power at my place in next to worst case situations. Worse case being an emp for whatever cause.
        Last edited by ZAGran; 08-29-2018, 06:07 PM. Reason: spelling - some of my keys appear to be sticky.

Comment

What happened in PR was really bad. Saw the new death toll on TV last night. Over 2 thousand people died from that hurricane. We are in hurricane territory and have been so fortunate.. We are always getting prepared about this time because you never know when or if one will hit us this year or next. We do have bug out bags and car packed for this usually in September or Oct when they get active here..

Comment

Working...
          X