No announcement yet.

Different Types of Planning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I fall somewhere in the middle. I wouldn't say prepping for 72 hours is crazy, unless that is ALL you do. Thinking any SHTF will only last 72 hours is crazy. At least those people are prepared for 72 hours. That is probably 72 hours more than most people. If that is all you do you are going to be very disappointed.

Ever since 2012, and the whole Mayan prophecy, end of the world business prepping has turned into a fad, cottage industry. TV shows popped up. Everybody was talking about it. Prepping was the "IN" thing to do. Since that event passed without incident the bloom was off the rose, and everybody forgot about it. It isn't cool to do that anymore. It is hanging on, but fewer TV shows. I wonder what the sales numbers are?

Sourdough: I wonder if the true survival movement is flawed. The Prepping fad industry is. With that I agree, but I wonder if the true survivalists or bush crafters have held true to their teachings. Have the people who have been the heart of the industry for a long time really changed? I know they are probably hard to find. Are they still out there? Those are the people I would put more stock in.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post

Sourdough: I wonder if the true survival movement is flawed. The Prepping fad industry is. With that I agree, but I wonder if the true survivalists or bush crafters have held true to their teachings. Have the people who have been the heart of the industry for a long time really changed? I know they are probably hard to find. Are they still out there?
      YES.........they are out there. I feel that there are many more then people realize. They have dummied up about their doings, for several reasons. I would not be as vocal if I was a younger man. But, nearing 72 y/o I am less interested in being covert, and more interested in encouraging people to get more serious about this issue.

One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

OK, pondering on all of this, maybe this entire prepper/ survivalist/ homesteader "name" thing is a symptom of the bigger issues with our society where everyone has to have a "special" or niche name for what they do or for their group/ click/ or person to feel special. Be it some 5 word name of your particular political view or of the name of your new psychosis - "look at me I'm special".

One of Rich's earlier posts mentioned how his family sat down and highlighted the events that they had in some way been impacted with; Dale mentioned how they approach it in a (3) category form; all good and great things that I don't think enough people do. Many people just waking up to the idea of taking care of their own needs rush out and buy stuff (more visible influence of our buying society) often having no idea what it is or why they should have it other than some list they read on the internet said they were "must" have's or they're not part of the "cool kids" click. Now to a certain small level that could be a good step assuming that it's say canned food and water they buy when they realize they don't have a pantry to get them past 24 hours. But I think those people, and all of us, should all sit down and put pen to paper or keyboard to screen and list potential events that might impact us. And then rank them in order of thet highest probability they might occur.

For example; is it more likely that a global pandemic will hit this month or that I might be laid off or loose my job?
        Is it more likely for complete SHTF to happen this week or for a family member to be involved in a serious car accident?

Everyone should step back and look at these events in rings or layers of how closely and likely they will influence our immediate life. Start planning for the things most likely to happen to you and yours, job loss, power outage, weather events, family accident or illness etc.. I've heard somewhere that one of the most common things people actually end up using their bag for (whether they call it their BOB, GHB, Car Bag, etc...) is for a situation where a loved one has an emergency that puts them in the hospital - car accident, or sick child, parent, spouse, etc... Being able to grab that bag and know all their needs are covered for a few days allow them to focus on the incident at hand. They have a change or 2 of clothes, some food, cash... whatever to get them thru a few days of living on a hospital chair next to their loved one. So does the bag cover 72hrs or 240hrs... who cares. It goes to whatever extent an individual person wants and covers what they feel are THEIR needs are, not someone else's idea.

Maybe you also have your kit set up in a modular configuration where you can leave say a main bag with hard core survival items and you can detach a small day pack/ fanny pack that has the things you might need to cover you for a day or two. Do I need my fire steel or water purifier sitting bedside with an ill love one? Nope but I could use a change of clothes and maybe some extra cash or toiletries that I can take out of my kit.

The more I think on it. I think there is just self sustained living where the intent is to try and first survive and then thrive whatever the day throws at us. Maybe a better way of looking at it is like the modular field kit. You have this massive ruck that you can carry but you're not going to physically carry everyday. Lets say that encompasses your home, homestead, BOL, BOV, all your supplies etc. you only use the module of that kit you need. So day to day that kit is your home your garden or animals etc... I mean one survivalist might say if you don't have farm animals to serve your needs you're not a survivalist as how can you sustain yourself 5 years down the road - people can only stockpile so much for so long unless maybe they're a billionaire with inexhaustible funds. Another person thinks that only if you embody mountainman, bushcrafter skills and lifestyle to rival Jeremiah Johnson can you be called a survivalist. is either right? No, as with most things in life, it's a huge "it depends".

Maybe in this lifestyle we shouldn't be in such a rush to label ourselves or others or to put what someone does or doesn't do down based on our own views and prejudices. Instead of worrying about what we call ourselves or trying to put some meter to everything we need to focus on base skills and knowledge and let people apply, or not apply it to their life as they see fit.

To be honest if I call my self a "survivalist" or a "prepper" and someone says "your not that because you don't do these 3 things I say define that word" do you really think I give a flying F%#& what they think? again more of the stupidity our society has breed into us.

just my 2 cents...

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Oh and as to what TV portrays or what we "think" the people on those shows are prepping for, don't believe it. In reality the producers of those shows put words into those peoples mouths to make them look nuts or extreme. And why did huge numbers watch, some to see what others like them are doing (aka other "preppers") and other 'reality' tv junkies watching it like they would stare at a car accident.
          I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Working...
          X