Different Types of Planning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different Types of Planning

Reading IW's post on Contingency Planning made me think about different things we plan for. It also made me think if we should plan differently depending on the scenario. These people were evacuating due to a potential tsunami. To me that would be something that could completely wipe out everything you had. Your home, and all of your possessions could be gone. Would you plan differently for this type of event than say an earthquake or hurricane where the damage might be more temporary? You plan for the 72 hour emergency, but do you plan differently for the INCH (I'm Never Coming Home) emergency?

Your thoughts?
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

not really - trouble with the tsunami SHTF - along with us in Tornado Alley and flash flood zone - it's time - there's is no allowance there to be had .... with a creeping forest fire or impending hurricane/flood you get time to move belongings up to the 2nd floor or the roof along with bug out treasures ...

Comment

We look at emergencies as being in 3 categories, (1) Bugging in., this covers most things in our lives from civil collapse to disease pandemic, etc.. (2) Short term Bug out, this covers anything that could force us from our home such as a fire, earth quake, industrial accident that the wind might bring toxins toward the home from interstate, etc. The house may be damaged or destroyed even, but we would still return and rebuild if necessary (3) Permanent Bug out. Anything that would make the land uninhabitable. Like nuclear war or geological upheaval/sinking.
      For us, categories 1 and 2 cover probably 95% of all possible scenarios and are what we have planning and preparation for at all times. Cat 3 is a lot harder to plan for since it pretty much requires that the world be in turmoil and you need to be flexible to react to the situation as it would unfold. The plan for reacting to a global thermonuclear war would be different than how we would need to react from a sudden world wide weather change, from say either one of the primary glaciers in Antarctica or Greenland breaking loose and sliding off of land and into the ocean or a sudden change in the world wide ocean current from chronic desalination.
      Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

In my opinion, yes - survival planning will differ according to specific scenarios. Ironically, just a couple days ago I published a blog post that relates to this topic, and how I kinda "dropped the ball" this year. Personally, I've always considered survival planning and all it entails to be pertinent to outdoor activities, disaster, civil unrest, foreign invasion, etc. What about survival on a daily basis? After all, the majority of our time is spent taking actions to survive. We all require food, water, clothing, shelter, and warmth to survive. For the vast majority of us, especially city folks, we need money to provide these things. How long would you survive if you had no income? In spite of what we see on cable tv every day, there are very few people in a very limited portion of the country that can live entirely off the land with no income - just bartering with neighbors. Your job or career is a survival necessity. Ensuring you have reliable transportation to get to and from that job is a form of survival planning. If you heat your home with wood you must plan ahead by gathering enough firewood in summer to get thru the next winter. If you heat and cook with propane you must monitor the propane level in your tank and order refills as needed. If you grow a garden you must plant in spring to have food for the fall and winter. If you rely on wild game to feed your family you must harvest in the fall to fill the freezer. I'm located in the Rockies of Montana near the CD 70 miles from the nearest city. I've never questioned my ability to be prepared for and survive nearly any outdoor scenario I may encounter, As a hunting and fishing guide and outfitter, I get paid to ensure the safety and survival of hunters and fishermen and do so confidentially, but I was not prepared for my every day survival in my home to be threatened. A string of incidents and circumstances proved to be detrimental to the survival of my family and me this winter; primarily forest fires and deep, deep snow. Proper planning would have prevented this threat. It has been a humbling eye-opener for me. Never again!

Comment

My group took almost 2 years discussing disasters we had survived in. My family has survived over 75 disasters, everything from earthquakes to hurricanes, flash flooding to winter blizzards.

We decided to prepare for the worst and hope and pray for the best. So we bought a farm. We just finished paying it off in November!!!! It took us 23 years but it's paid for. We keep bug-out bags in each vehicle, we also keep additional supplies in the larger vans so if we have to go we do not waste time.

Twice a year we review important documents which we may need. One copy is put on disk the other is faxed to the farm. That way there are three copies at all times. This is important, an example after IRAM. Where flooding caused people to be forced to evacuate; they were not allowed to return for 2 weeks unless they had proof they lived in that area. So keep a current utility bill as one of your important documents plus two forms of ID with photo.

Comment

I have never planned differently for different scenarios, my plan is to survive them all.
            my situation may be different to those living in cities for instance, I intend to bug in as I am in the countryside not in a city, I will only bug out as a last resort.
            most British preppers say I have bugged out already as I left my home city 20 years ago.

Comment

GG: we too plan on bugging in; at least that is Plan A. There are things that could cause us to leave such as flood or fire, but even in earthquake or tornado conditions where the house is destroyed, I will stay on my property. One thing I have changed, more philosophically than anything else, is my time frame. 72 hour is not in my vocabulary. I plan for at least 7-10 days minimum.
              The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

I plan for 6 months minimum, maximum its a permanent different way of life.

Comment

My plan is for (3) Three years. With the first (3) Three months having zero human contact. And even after three months that contact would likely be from a very long distance, just to see how things were for others.

I have the advantage of my start point is, being Bugged-out into Alaska wilderness.
                  Last edited by Sourdough; 07-12-2018, 02:32 PM.
                  One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

I reread this thread and we need to distinguish between Preppering and survival.

To me survival is lasting for up to 7 days without outside help. That is why I have 72 hour + bug out bags. I keep additional tools water and food in each vehicle.

Preppering to me is the time after 7 days. Having enough supplies on hand at home or/plus your retreat to last 90+ days to home-style change forever. Things like EMP so no electrical forever, to a pandemic like EBOLA! Something that is going to change every ones lives.

Comment

I see it the other way around, prepping is for the short term, survivalism is for the long term/permanent time line.
                      prepping is storing mostly food, not many preppers in the UK store much more than a few weeks supplies and very little in the way of tools and equipment, survivalists on the other hand prepare not only for the short term but have tools and equipment and skills and knowledge(which many preppers lack) for when the stores have been used up.
                      Last edited by grumpygremlin; 07-13-2018, 04:16 AM.

Comment

I'll take a third position........that this whole idea of having any time period is just plain stupid.

We start a serious "Survival" event the moment we are born. The "condition" of being alive, is a survival condition.

It just cracks me up when someone say's, "I only prep for ice storms or snow storms or hurricanes." or "I only prep for being out of power for ten days or two weeks MAXIMUM".

As I said in my thread about, The whole prepping/survival concept is deeply flawed, and has for roughly 30 years been going in the wrong direction.

https://survivalforum.survivalmagazi...-bad-direction
                        Last edited by Sourdough; 07-13-2018, 07:18 AM.
                        One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

yes, I agree I prepare to survive, that to me is a permanent situation.
                          prepping to survive 72 hours or a week then its all "back to normal" is just crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpygremlin View Post
                            prepping to survive 72 hours or a week then its all "back to normal" is just crazy.
                            The way I see it.........if someone says, "I only prep for 72 hours or for 7 days," they are really saying, "I strongly desire to be in the same position as those who have no preparations........I just want to start my hellish nightmare next week".

I just keep coming back to this whole concept is deeply flawed.

Last edited by Sourdough; 07-13-2018, 08:16 AM.

Comment

its just that most, especially in my country, only expect an event to last for 72hours to a week, and no longer.
                              not that the majority prepare in any shape or form, most think nothing bad will happen and if it does its the governments job to look after them, that's the crazy part.

Comment

Working...
                              X