Are You Prepared to be Stranded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are You Prepared to be Stranded

Weather here has been bad, and flooding has reached historical proportions. Record high rainfall. Major highways are closed. Our neighborhood flooded higher than ever has caused us to be stranded. There is only one entrance/exit to the subdivision by road. There is a creek that runs through the subdivision with only one bridge. Water will be over that bridge tonight.

We have made a conscious and informed decision to stay. Police came through door-to-door to offer evacuation.

Several factors were considered in our decision. First, water should recede after tonight. It would still have to come a long way to reach us, so every indication is we will be safe. We have all the supplies; food; water; medicine to last quite a while. All family members are in reasonably good health. If we had to get out we could walk or use bicycles. We have a safe place to go to if we have to leave. We know the area well, and we could find our way to safe/dry areas.

It certainly made me think, and admittedly, I have never been in this situation before. ARE YOU PREPARED TO BE STRANDED??
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Thoughts and prayers with you all tonight.

Can't say with where we live that this could be an issue but it does make you think if you got standed on your own island so to speak. Hope your power holds out.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

first of all Morgan101,i hope best for all of you..

even thoe there's no chance that we'll actually get flooded in,when it comes to the water level..but yet.there's 2 directions in which i can leave here by the way of roads,and there is a creek in each direction.but yet.the only way i see them being a issue.is if the road/soil gets washed out enough for the road to cave in.and there's very slim chance to that happening..but yet i have given this some thought.there is one route across land in which i can take.and that means going through 4 to 6 gates just to get out to the primary hwy..even then,chances are.the feilds will be soaking wet.and that means some other source of transportaion.
      be prepared,be worried,be careful..and watch your 6

Comment

Morgan I hope and pray that you and yours are all ok as well as your neighbors. Stay safe and let us know how you are doing. This does give us all something to think about as we have never had flooding here but are surrounded by water on three sides. It could happen but hope not. There are places flooding that has never flooded before. It is for sure something to think about.

Comment

Morgan 101
          I was in your neck of the woods from 27 Dec to the 1 Jan. Had a chance to visit family at last minute so took it. Rained all the way and then some as you well know. Planned to leave early morning of the 31st but all roads we would need to travel west were closed. So instead of taking the long way around through Kansas City, we stayed another day. Not that anyone really complained, but had to leave the next morning regardless. Had been on the road only 30 min when notified interstates we needed for shorter route were opened so sailed home with no problem. However we did witness several places where homes and businesses had been or still were flooded well into Missouri.
          God be with you and yours and although this post is late (I didn’t take computer with me and had too much visiting to do to use it anyway) I pray for the continued safety of you, your family and all those unfortunate enough to be in harm’s way due to the historic flooding.

Comment

Watch yur top knot out there Morgan! You folks out in the Mid-west sure have been taking a beating and its been for months, it seems. Grain elevators closed. Oil drilling interrupted. Agriculture delayed. Not even to mention the property damage and lives lost! Stay safe out there.

I've been stranded before by high water at the old place. One way in and one way out and it involved a low bridge and a sizable creek. Made life interesting.

Here at the new place its still one way in and one way out and I still have a creek. Only its a small one and a house on the flank of a mountain isn't likely to have a flood problem. But we are prepared to be stranded by whatever definition you would like to use.

Comment

Since low water bridge frequently is flooded, usually only for a few hours but has been for several days, I am always prepared, like jezcruzen, to be on my own for up to 30 days outside my regular preps.

Comment

I can say good luck and be very careful around running water. It's a fact that the type of running water you have which may seem slow can still cause you to lose your footing and be carried away. If you do need to evacuate be sure everyone has a life vest on while walking thru running water. One misstep can take you from 1 foot of running water into 4 or more feet.

Also the running water you see has waste from your local treatment plant plus all the others up river from you. Keep out of it if possible. Also from what I have seen on the news several chemical plants have been overrun by this flood. So not only human waste but chemicals are in that water. Just plain nasty.

e ca

Comment

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. Water has now receded, and we are cleaning up the mess. Other than a sizable bill we will be fine. We spent one very uncomfortable night when we turned the heat off to try to inhibit mold growth. Mold wreaks havoc with my wife's asthma. Drinking water was fine the entire time. We did have raw sewage come up in the basement through the floor drain ergo the big bill for clean up. Flood water was still a good distance from us.

One thing I would have done differently would be to plug the floor drain sooner. My thinking was a plugged floor drain would keep things from going down. I never thought I would have to prevent things from coming up. Once the floor drain was plugged the sump pump removed the water, and it went down pretty quickly. The plug will remain permanently.

Our loss will be minimal, and quite frankly, it is probably basement junk that should have been pitched anyway. We were able to get out New Years Eve, and spend the night with friends. We were all in the same boat (no pun intended), and we needed to get away. A group of about a dozen, all neighbors, met for dinner. Shared the pain, and joy. Some had it far worse than we did.

Hope everyone had a safe and Happy New Year. I will try to post some before and after pictures.
                  The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Been there and done that, not flooding, but ice storm. We has stuck in our house for about 3 days with very little, he had our gas oven for heat and food, and just about a case of water. Our central heat didnt work due to the power being out. After 3 days we had some co-workers make it there and let us borrow a generator to run our fridge. They also brought us some water. After that it was not that bad. After another 3 days we had the driveway and trees cleared so that we could leave. We went to my sisters about 1.5 hours away.

This is one of the reason that I now prep. Living in OK and having ice storms and tornados, you have to be able to fend for yourself from anywhere 3-7 days sometimes. I have seen it take longer during major ice storms to get the power back on. At this time we was living in a suburb of a large city. Now I live in the middle of no where. It could take longer to get the power back on.

Comment

Ice storm of 1999 around Christmas/New Years we were without power for 2 weeks. A box wood stove, well bucket and oil lamps. my hubby made it fine. Always did keep a good pantry. 2 days after the power came on they at last cleared the road so I could go home. I was at my mother's. Power was out there for a week and a half. A full propane tank and propane space heaters and cook stove kept us warm and fed. Roads there were not so bad so could get to town. I guess they had a generator at the rural water plant because we never lost water, but there was a well out back if we had needed it.

Comment

it's been getting down into the 20's here on most nights lately.we haven't lost power since early part of 2015.in which that surprise's me,with the rain storms we've been getting here.i hope everyone is prepared for getting snowed in,and/or loseing power for any leagnth of time..
                        be prepared,be worried,be careful..and watch your 6

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post
                          Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. Water has now receded, and we are cleaning up the mess. Other than a sizable bill we will be fine. We spent one very uncomfortable night when we turned the heat off to try to inhibit mold growth. Mold wreaks havoc with my wife's asthma. Drinking water was fine the entire time. We did have raw sewage come up in the basement through the floor drain ergo the big bill for clean up. Flood water was still a good distance from us.

One thing I would have done differently would be to plug the floor drain sooner. My thinking was a plugged floor drain would keep things from going down. I never thought I would have to prevent things from coming up. Once the floor drain was plugged the sump pump removed the water, and it went down pretty quickly. The plug will remain permanently.

Our loss will be minimal, and quite frankly, it is probably basement junk that should have been pitched anyway. We were able to get out New Years Eve, and spend the night with friends. We were all in the same boat (no pun intended), and we needed to get away. A group of about a dozen, all neighbors, met for dinner. Shared the pain, and joy. Some had it far worse than we did.

Hope everyone had a safe and Happy New Year. I will try to post some before and after pictures.

Morgan,
                          Glad to hear you came out of things with your head up. One thing I'd suggest for your basement drains (really this goes for anyone with basement drains) is to put in a backflow preventer. It will require you to tear up part of the floor to splice it into the drain pipe. It's basically a one way flapper valve that lets water out but if water/ sewage flows in the line, it forces the door shut sealing off and preventing your basement from flooding. This is critical for those on public sewage but even those on septic, if your floor drains just flow outside or if you had a crap contractor who tied your floor drains into your foundations french drains. Also, if your drains empty outside into a low area that could flood beware of possible backflow.

When I first got out of the Navy and was working for my Uncle who's a contractor, we put quite a few of these into older homes the one spring when lots of basements flooded from the sewers flooding and back filling basements thru the storm drains. I don't know why they aren't made as required in modern building codes, regardless of the septic design. seems like a cheep and smart insurance. I would even consider putting it in a pit box with something like a steel cover over it in case you ever did need to get in to replace or clean it.
                          I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

My wife and I both work in education. We pray for "snow days" and look forward to being stranded each year. However, the worst "snow day" I've experienced lasted only two days and that was when I was back in high school.

These days, I think school administrators are more concerned with parents' inconvenience than with safety, so, it is rare to close for just snow. More often it is because the windchill is -40F and they don't want kids out waiting for busses in that cold.

But if the day comes when we are truly stranded, we are ready.
                            If it was man made it can be man re-made.

Comment

Morgan, glad you guys are ok. At least now you know what can happen even if the water didn't get up to your house and you can do something to prevent it from happening again.

Comment

Working...
                              X