No announcement yet.

Deer Cart to compliment BOB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carts are an excellent idea, and invaluable if other modes of transportation are lost.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

ive made a few carts/trailers for our bikes. but ya know, this got me thinking maybe i could mod. them to have handles like a rickshaw that could attach to them in case the bike was gone or i just wanted to use the cart all by itself....hmmm.... thanks got me thinking now.

Comment

That would be a great idea there Kaz. If something broke on the bike then you could ditch it and continue on foot until you could get another bike.
        How Do You Like Me Now

Comment

The famous prepper fiction writer Jerry D Young is a big proponent of using a game cart. I can definitely see it's advantages.

Comment

I've seen a few three wheel game carts here and there, but most are two wheelers. They are a good option. I have a friend who has one in his equipment stores. He has a bad back, and isn't in the best of shape, but he has tested the thing. He swears it will do the job if his truck breaks down on the way to his BOL. He will go slow, and think about the difficult crossings that he's ID'd on his route, and rest as needed to survive the trip. Water, food and shelter, and some assorted goodies.

Some of the three wheel jogging baby "strollers" have tires on them that remind me of mountain bike tires. Fat and squishy. Handles that are padded, with brakes to keep the thing from rolling off when parked. Covers to protect what's inside. Not the largest carrying capacity, but what if most members of the entourage had one? The loads can be split up, and even redistributed if one is damaged in an accident.

Anything with wheels, good balance and a comfortable way to grip its handles will be a plus - even if you wear a pack, too.

Comment

I wish this had a higher load capacity--the deer carts with 200 lb. capacity have it beat--but this has some other features going for it: brake and flexibility with harness, switching to backboard, etc.

If it had a higher load capacity, it could almost serve as a (collapsible) stretcher. Maybe it could be beefed up somehow to handle a heavier load of an injured person.

Full discussion here:
              http://www.survivopedia.com/svp_transptools/

From that article, a brief description of trailer here:

This is available as either a complete hiking trailer or a conversion kit that converts the pack frame or any of the other Monowalker products into a nimble, high-tech hiking trailer for traveling hiking trails or cross country.

• Carries 110-140liter waterproof volume, or 100lbs payload.
              • 60% of the load to the wheel reduces felt weight of a 100lbs load to a much more manageable 40-50lbs.
              • 13.23lbs before rucksack or waterproof duffel – ultra-light and strong wood and aluminum construction.
              • The pack board forms the cargo bed.
              • Connects to the waist belt of the harness system from the Mountainmate pack
              • Two lightweight shaped blonde hardwood handles attach to the pack frame providing leverage to steady the load, reduce vibration while staying warm in winter and cool in summer.
              • Ultra-light thumb actuated bicycle break on one of the handles securely stops the tri-spoke aluminum mag wheel on slopes allowing you to stop and rest while hiking uphill and keeps the trailer from pushing you on downhill stretches
              • You can still wear a “combat light” load in case you have to doff the trailer with the two QD shackles and make a run for it
              • An ultra-light aluminum extension connects the wheel to the bottom of the trailer frame affording ground clearance, superior mobility even in rocky terrain and allows the trailer to traverse obstacles and ford shallow streams
              • A GPS can easily be attached to one of the handles in a perfect position for navigation with a mounting bracket, Strac Strapz, Velcro One-wrap or Velcro/Spandex hybrid straps
              • With the brake applied to the wheel, a short, light ski can be strapped to the bottom of the tire, turning the hiking trailer into a snow sled
              But also mentioned in that article were 'pioneer handcarts':

Looking for more info on them, seems like they're a part of the Mormon migration to the west. There are LDS-related reenactments of that 'trek' with reproductions of these carts rented and delivered by the trailer-load.

SO: sorta seems like maybe we're reinventing the wheel-ed bug-out gear carrier, eh? :)
              Been there, done that. Then been there again several times, because apparently I never learn.

Comment

A further thought on this:

we recently came to have a hard-shell car-top cargo carrier like this:

It easily/quickly attaches to a luggage rack. With the right planning, it could also be shifted to a wheeled frame. I'm wishing I knew better how to work with bike parts and/or welding, as a two wheeled trailer frame with that cargo shell seems do-able, but that's said more from ignorance of what's involved than experience with the materials I'm imagining would be used.

But looking around, I see there are tow-behind versions of this already:

and

(more of this type of trailer for pulling by a motorcycle here)

But maybe the ultimate would be a trailer like those above, but with this version of a cargo carrier:

--not much of a boat, but a lot better than none at all.
                Been there, done that. Then been there again several times, because apparently I never learn.

Comment

I have seen a deer cart with a trailer attachment that allows you to attach it to your ATV, Tractor, or auto trailer hitch. You cannot drive above 20-25 mph but it can carry over 200 lbs is stable and cost less then $200.00. It is not street legal!

I found it at a web site called "The Sportsman Guide" They seem to have it in their catalog around hunting season.

Comment

Came across this review of game carts--kinda nice to have a collection of them (15 or 16, by a quick count) thoughtfully discussed, but while the reviewers seem to give fair evaluations to various carts, the site where the review is posted sells a one-wheel version and they, of course, see that version as having the most advantages/fewest disadvantages.

http://gametote.com/one-wheel-game-cart-review.html

Here's the cart they sell, btw.

In looking over the various carts, one that caught my eye was 'Neet Kart'. It is a two-wheeler, but the wheels are inline with each other. There's a video at the Neet Kart link to show its usefulness as a back-country stretcher. It's also pretty collapsable yet sets up quickly, so--as the video says--it's easy to keep in a vehicle. I'm going to cross post this info on the thread about first aid kits where the discussion came to focus on stretchers, but thought I'd mention it here, too. Dual use items and all that.

Here's a couple pics of the Neet Kart.

Last edited by Schneb; 07-09-2014, 02:24 PM.

Comment

I keep coming back to add some new option here--the latest one being this:

http://smile.amazon.com/TMS-CART-CANOE-KAYAK-KY001-Carrier-Transport/dp/B0082365AQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1449865494&sr=1-3&keywords=canoe

Click image for larger version

Name:	41p6kjB4T7L.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	188179

Click image for larger version

Name:	41Keagw7oPL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	188178

It's a lot less expensive than the others--but you're getting a lot less, as well. Seems like adding a cargo bed would be pretty easy, if you happened to have materials on hand for that.

Anyone used one of these?

Comment

I love the idea of these style carts but can't decide which option will be best. Narrow tires are more manuverable but have problems in sand, snow and mud. The wider tires spread the weight better and allow easier tracking but moving through dense brush or narrow paths will be that much harder. Might have to consider the option of a cart where I can change the wheels if needed (and possible). Lol this is pointing me more and more toward a home made cart. May have to look into the DIY carts out there and get some more ideas.
                        Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

I noticed a new type that is a standard storage rack you place on the back of your truck/van using a class three hitch. You seen them all over this one can handle 500 pounds. It can then be taken apart, attach wheels (18' bike type) and you have a rolling cart. Very nice but over 500 dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                            Okay, I know most of us have a pet project or invention that we think every prepper should at least look at and consider, (Like a BOB.) Here is mine.

The humble game cart, or deer cart. Hunters will recognize this device. It is simply a way to carry that 200lb deer through the woods back to the truck.

But through the eyes of a prepper, I see a way to carry my BOB, or a loved one with a twisted ankle, etc. These carts are inexpensive, lite-weight, and collapsible, so you can carry one in your trunk.

Here is the one Santa brought me: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=351879

A lot of preppers envision wearing a 100lb pack, hiking for miles, fighting off attack, etc. Now, I am fairly fit, but still, I need to be able to bring my family along. So I will keep this cart in my vehicle with my BOB. If I have to hike miles, I can portage my bag on it, and keep my hands free to defend.
                            Check out the Dixon Roller and the Monowalker. I really like the Monowalker but can't afford it so I bought a deer cart from sportsman guide and am working on modifying it. If I ever get it finished I'll post some pics.

Comment

make sure to check out the durability of those solid tires - seen plenty of those exact game carts on the used market with crapped out tires - the spoked rims seemed OK but the tires delaminated off or split ...

Comment

Working...
                              X