Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picked up my fourth Xiegu G 90 HF radio...160 through 10 meters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    Got up a bit early this morning and decided to cut my grass before the rain from this tropical storm arrived.

In making circles with my riding lawnmower...I discovered why my long range HF loop antenna was giving me funny readings on my meter.

One section of it had fallen again. I will be using my boat pole and new fishing reel and a 3 ounce teardrop sinker to run a line over the trees to re hang the wire.

I have two more 12 gauge stranded wire rolls...from Lowes....500 feet length as spares ...for just such occasions and or happenings.

I tried to get on again with my friend out in Tennessee and got non normal readings on my meters telling me something was wrong.

Glad I found the problem.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.
    No lawn here; so, I use a walk behind string trimmer to "mow" the weeds alongside the driveway.

What frequency is your loop cut for? Single band or multiband? Is it homebrew or store bought? Do you use an antenna tuner?
    In case you haven't noticed this statement applies to me quite well; “The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity."

Same as most Hams; perhaps all Hams, I have lots of wire, LOL!
    I've used 550 paracord with a pulley and a weight to allow wire antennas to move with wind or ice.

We've been too busy prepping our old house for sale for me to put up an antenna. I'm going to try an EFHW or End Fed Half Wave. I've been purchasing all the needed components.
    Here, we have a lot of lightning that destroyed the LED controls in the freezer. I could have replaced t except it would have taken weeks to receive the parts. We drove 54 miles to find a freezer in stock.
    Everything electronic here has surge protectors except for the HVAC's thermostat which was "smoked" a couple of weeks ago.

For my shack and antennas, I will be using Alpha Delta surge protectors: https://www.alphadeltaradio.com.
    Our products have been thoroughly tested and approved by Government, Industry and Military labs and agencies and have been issued NSN numbers by the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), Cage TT3G50 Code 389A5.
    If lightning hits, the gas plug will need to be replaced.

Did you know the MacArthur Memorial is located in Norfolk near the Elizabeth River and a few blocks from St. Paul's Episcopal Church?

Comment

I use a tuner and have worked 160 meters...through 6 meters on this 500 foot wire loop. I verily like it but at the same time recognize I need to better suspend it in the air.

Yes..I've been to the MacArthur Memorial down in Norfolk and also the Battleship Wisconsin parked near at Waterside.

When down there I also like to go to an olde time drive in called Doumars...for curb service and a double cheesburger, fries, and olde time fountain Rootbeer. And if there is any room left an olde time ice cream on a waffle cone.

Doumar's Barbecue – Norfolk, Virginia - Gastro Obscura (atlasobscura.com)

Orangetom
      Not an Ishmaelite.

Comment

I built a 160 meter loop once and this link pretty much follows what I built with 450 Ω ladder line and a 4:1 current balun.
        https://marbut.com/Loop/
        It was a rather odd shaped loop, but it worked. :D A decent antenna analyzer would have been a serious aid back then. No matter what a Ham's power out is, the key is their antenna radiates as much of it as possible.

I toured the USS North Carolina. It was one of the last of the dreadnoughts. The Wisconsin is an Iowa Class. When we toured the North Carolina, someone wondered if a dreadnought could defeat an Iowa Class.. A man said either could defeat the other by scoring the first solid hits.

Doumar's Barbecue appears to be an experience well worth partaking.

I smoked a Boston butt earlier this week; it was delicious. We finished the leftovers tonight.

Comment

A boston butt....Wow..that sounds great....

Yes..I like to go to Doumars when down there in Norfolk...usually I am stoppig at Bobs gun shop for reloading supplies and stop at Doumars on the way home.

Agree with you on the battle ships...whoever gets in the first shot,...that is a big big...round...16 inches..having served on a 155MM artillery crew.

Some time this week I am going to get around to rebuiding and resetting my wire loop antenna. Weather looks good most of the week.

Orangetom
          Not an Ishmaelite.

Comment

Originally posted by orangetom1999 View Post
            A boston butt....Wow..that sounds great....

Yes..I like to go to Doumars when down there in Norfolk...usually I am stoppig at Bobs gun shop for reloading supplies and stop at Doumars on the way home.

Agree with you on the battle ships...whoever gets in the first shot,...that is a big big...round...16 inches..having served on a 155MM artillery crew.

Some time this week I am going to get around to rebuiding and resetting my wire loop antenna. Weather looks good most of the week.

Orangetom
            Not an Ishmaelite.
            We enjoy smoking meat, Another treat is shrimp kabobs; a piece of red or yellow, a slice of lemon, a large shrimp and repeat. Buy the shrimp at Costco or Sam's for about $4 a pound instead of $13 a pound at our local Ingles.

Near Athens, there is a gun shop worth visiting.
            Due to panic buying, today's prices have seriously curtailed my buying.

I bought a canoe at Academy. There was a guy in from of me who bought an AR and a Beretta pistol. The clerk who carried the firearms to the counter told him ammo comes in on Tuesday and Thursday. I can't believe someone bought a firearm without ammo!!! Heck, when they buy a new to them caliber buy a box of ammo to reload.
            The wife saw a pistol she liked and the clerk would not remove the trigger lock so she could test the trigger pull. Fine, keep it.

First sold hit usually wins any serious encounter, As an ex-grunt the idea of weapons firing over the horizon is a major WOW!

A 155 is ~6.1", an 8" is 203,4 mm and 16" is 406.4 mm.. Talk about a bigger hammer!

Currently, we have too much on our plate for me to build the EFHW. Today, we went to Costco to refill the freezer. Tomorrow, it is to the old house to start filling a dumpster.

Comment

Working...
            X