Pass the Ham Test .....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pass the Ham Test .....

decent enough article about boning up for the test - study materials - what to expect ....

http://www.theprepperjournal.com/201...am-radio-exam/

Sounds good. Now to just get the $$$$. I know it is not outlandish but grand child health issues currently putting strain on whole family. Hopefully will heal best way and not require more surgery, just rehab, insurance only covers so much.

Comment

Just keep studying the questions. I used https://hamexam.org/exam/12-Technician and went over and over and over it until I kept getting them all right. My Elmer told me to do it this way, as the only real way you can learn ham radio is to play on the radio so he did not consider it cheating. Price per sitting is $15.. so if you can do all three tests in one sitting it is $15.. I was not that brave,

Currently working on my General by studying.

Cedar

Comment

I have been a HAM for about 8 years now. Wasn't going to go past TECH but I decided to go further. After receiving my TECH and learning more about the hobby I went on and obtained my General. Working on my Extra as we speak. A little difficult for me as I don't have an electronic background. Just mechanical. But, I will succeed! Once you get your license the fun and learning begins. A good skill to have just in the event of SHTF or other disaster. I am also a Volunteer Examiner. I can at least help giving the TECH exam. Once I get my EXTRA I can administer all exams.

Comment

here's another quiky "get started" article on Ham radios - interesting - Ever wonder why "Ham" - what it stood for?

http://www.askaprepper.com/quick-eas...ate-ham-radio/

Comment

I bought an ICOM base station for HF and VHF as well as a Yeasu FT60r for mobile communications.
            I'm not going to bother getting my license because I don't transmit, I just listen. I'm an electrical engineer so I'm well enough versed on how radio frequency and antenna's work.. well enough I guess.

The only time I would ever plan to actually use my HAM radio(s) is if SHTF happened and there was no sign things were going to return to normal in the near future. At that point, the airwaves would be clear and all the rules and regulations wouldn't apply to anyone anyhow.

Did you guys know if you're a licensed ham operator that you can put up your antenna on your property regardless of any local codes or restrictions? Even home owner associations can not stop you.. its written right into federal law.

Comment

I keep thinking about getting my basic license as I hear it's not to difficult to get. I even bought the book with the info and practice tests but never studied it.

I don't know a lot about HAM but I do know it's a pretty tight knit group and that a huge pet peeve of theirs is people that aren't to be there. They have a game of hunting those people down and turning them in. Guess my concern in a SHTF is that they still might look at you as an outsider and be unwilling to communicate with you. Just my thoughts.
              I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

I posted a reply but got a message "UNAPPROVED".. and it was blank.

Comment

I now suspect the forum doesn't like my VPN since it works when I turn it off.

Comment

I have NO clue why it would be doing that to your posts. Crazy!

-Buggy
                    I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

With the VPN turned on, it won't let me post.. with the VPN turned off, I can post just fine.

Gotta be honest, I don't want to say too much if my IP can be tracked. I use the VPN for security measures.. Ya all need to fix the forum or figure out what's going on with that.

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post
                        I don't know a lot about HAM but I do know it's a pretty tight knit group and that a huge pet peeve of theirs is people that aren't to be there. They have a game of hunting those people down and turning them in. Guess my concern in a SHTF is that they still might look at you as an outsider and be unwilling to communicate with you. Just my thoughts.
                        Coming to look for me for during some imagined justice vendetta during a SHTF situation would be the last bad idea they ever had.

HAMS are so vigilant of making sure people are licensed because they don't want to see their frequencies go the way of the CB Radio.. which became useless. And I don't blame them.

But in an SHTF situation of the kind where I would need my HAM to transmit, they'd have no way of looking up any call sign to see if its legit or not.. nor do I think they'd have the inclination to care.. There would be so few people transmitting it wouldn't make any difference.

Also, Federal Ham laws clearly state that any non licensed operator can transmit on any frequency in a life or death situation.. and believe me, if you hear me transmitting, people ARE dying.

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post
                          I keep thinking about getting my basic license as I hear it's not to difficult to get. I even bought the book with the info and practice tests but never studied it..
                          It is really easy to get. Just keep studying this https://hamexam.org/exam/12-Technician If you are really good, you can pass all three tests in one day for one sitting fee. I am not that good, so I just got my tech license, but I am now studying to get my General.

You cannot learn ham radio without being able to run a radio. I got mine three or four years ago, and volunteer with my local community on the emergency radios there, so you can do this and get to play with equipment to learn to run ham radios. Go to the Ham Field Day. The 2018 ARRL Field Day is June 23-24 everywhere in the USA. Find a local group and they will be glad to have you. I take my sleeping bag, although I am up all night getting call signs from all over the US. They will welcome anyone to come to their event, even if you do not have your ham ticket. It sis fun and you get to meet other hams. Look for a local one near you here http://www.arrl.org/field-day-locator

A SHTF situation is not the time to learn to run a ham radio. especially a Baofeng. They are a good cheap radio, but you pay the price in figuring them out, and dialing them in.

Cedar

Comment

Glad to see you back with us Cedar.... I was thinking about those Baofeng, for the price seems hard not to get a few and pass out to the family members I'd want to be sure I could connect with.
                            I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Get the 5 unit family packs, because sometimes that brings them down to $19/each including the earbuds and charging station....and for Pete's Sake (!!!) get the CHIRP cable or you will pull your hair out getting the thing conformed. Even with CHIRP it takes a bit to figure it out. If you do not have patience, keep all sledge hammers locked up and out of easy reach.
                              https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

Cedar

Comment

Working...
                              X