No announcement yet.

Confused About Commo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reception may be an issue here, lots of deep valleys and high ground.
    I could end up talking to myself!(nothing new there then!)
    Last edited by grumpygremlin; 07-01-2018, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpygremlin View Post
      reception may be an issue here, lots of deep valleys and high ground.
      I could end up talking to myself!(nothing new there then!)
      Then move to longer wave lengths like 10 meters which will bounce off the ionosphere. While deep valleys and mountains are always a problem for radio, the lower the frequency, the less of an issue obstacles become.. although other issues do arise.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphy View Post

Then move to longer wave lengths like 10 meters which will bounce off the ionosphere. While deep valleys and mountains are always a problem for radio, the lower the frequency, the less of an issue obstacles become.. although other issues do arise.
        Right now we are at the bottom of cycle 24 which means frequencies higher than 20 meters are almost useless. But there are short periods of time where you can transmit long distances but be ready to make your QSO's short.

Comment

sorry, i'm not technically minded, all this is over my head.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpygremlin View Post
            i'm only interested in post SHTF, prior to that I have no interest in radios or communications whatsoever, post SHTF I don't understand the need for communication-who are we supposed to be communicating with? might be better to hunker down and keep quiet. I have 2 radios , one mains and one wind up for monitoring any broadcasts, but actually broadcasting myself? no way.
            the Nazi's were good at triangulating radio comms in WW2 and I am sure things have improved on that in the last 70 years.
            I also would limit my comms to listening mostly. BUT don't wait until the SHTF to pull out the radio and wonder how to get it working. Get to know your stuff very intimately before you have a situation. If you want to wait until a event then pull out the batteries and put your stuff in a faraday cage.

Comment

Originally posted by Defcon09 View Post

I also would limit my comms to listening mostly. BUT don't wait until the SHTF to pull out the radio and wonder how to get it working. Get to know your stuff very intimately before you have a situation. If you want to wait until a event then pull out the batteries and put your stuff in a faraday cage.
              That's what I did.. Pulled the batteries and put everything in the Faraday cage.. including the batteries in case they have protection circuits inside them.
              I also purchased AAA and AA adapters for any devices which run on their own brand of NiMH or Lithium battery. For instance, my Yaesu FT60R comes with a molded NiMH battery that clips onto the back of the unit.. But they also sell an adapter that allows the use of 6 AA batteries.. so I have both. if the NiMH ever goes bad, I can switch over to rechargeable AA's... might not last as long but it would still work.

The other thing is that a lot of battery units come with power adapter ports where you can plug in a DC adapter from a wall outlet. I pay attention to those too because I can adapt 18650 batteries to run one of those as well.

Something else I have is called an SDR Dongle.. The cool thing about this device is that if anyone around me is communicating on any frequency, it will show it.. even if I'm not listening to that particular frequency at the time, I'll see the spike in power output on that band..

Comment

Originally posted by Murphy View Post

That's what I did.. Pulled the batteries and put everything in the Faraday cage.. including the batteries in case they have protection circuits inside them.
                I also purchased AAA and AA adapters for any devices which run on their own brand of NiMH or Lithium battery. For instance, my Yaesu FT60R comes with a molded NiMH battery that clips onto the back of the unit.. But they also sell an adapter that allows the use of 6 AA batteries.. so I have both. if the NiMH ever goes bad, I can switch over to rechargeable AA's... might not last as long but it would still work.

The other thing is that a lot of battery units come with power adapter ports where you can plug in a DC adapter from a wall outlet. I pay attention to those too because I can adapt 18650 batteries to run one of those as well.

Something else I have is called an SDR Dongle.. The cool thing about this device is that if anyone around me is communicating on any frequency, it will show it.. even if I'm not listening to that particular frequency at the time, I'll see the spike in power output on that band..
                Good move. I also have a AA case for my older Icom V8 and a solar charger that charges 4 batteries of any size. Does a good job and even puts out enough power to run my small AM/FM radio.

Comment

Working...
                X