• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    badkarma
    Valued Member

• badkarma
    replied
    i've dabbled in it from time to time. there are some good deals to be had.

HOWEVER, the coupon show doesn't really make a lot of sense to me because:
    1. The couponers get 200-300 sets of the same coupons per week.
    2. 50% of the savings comes from "loyalty cards" which i use anyways.
    3. They buy 200+ bottles of mustard, SOBE Lifewater, laundry detergent, downey, pine-sol, etc, etc every week only because it's "on sale and I can't afford to pass it up". that's untreated OCD more than anything else.
    4. Most stores will only double or triple manufacturer coupons up to 30 per trip, which people got around by having multiple transactions....now the coupon policies are up to 30 per HOUSEHOLD per week.
    5. Most major chains have a very large marketing department that communicates extensively with their purchasing dept, and they will run sale items in conjunction with manufacturer coupons the result in free (or nearly free) product for a very limited time, on very limited items.
    6. Just in time supply models limit the amount of goods obtained by this practice by limiting shelf availability, and there are no rainchecks.
    7. The golden rule of prepping is store what you use, and use what you store. I don't think I'll ever use 400 bottles of Wisk; so why waste the energy, time, resources, and storage space just to say "Look!! I bought $500 worth of stuff for $9.50"?

I do still get decent deals, in decent quantities, on stuff i DO use frequently.

YMMV, but that's been my experience.

Leave a comment:

• herbalpagan
    Veteran Member

• herbalpagan
    replied
    Wally World may not be where most people want to shop, but they will make any stores advertised price AND they take coupons.
    Also, don't forget to shop at places that have a gas bonus with their card. We just got a bunch of gas stations start taking two stores cards for cents-off gas purchases. That can make a big difference in itself.

Leave a comment:

• maric
    Veteran Member

• maric
    replied
    Originally posted by Omegaman View Post
    the cashier asked if I was expecting something, and with a smile I said " Why yes I am". She then asked what and I told her "for food prices to keep going up". Never tip your hand.
    Well, I dont think thats a lie.. lol.. :) food prices at the grocery are insane, the inflation in just the last few months makes me sick! I shop 4 different stores, just trying to save a few bucks! Its worth the headache of trying to cart the kids along, IF I know Im planned out and making good purchases..
    Also, how dare you not make fresh pizza? Seriously, Im all about the kids eating healthy, but I completely understand, and I may get criticized, but my little ones eat frozen chicken nuggets.. shocker, I know.. it happens.. 50 cents a box is a great deal on pasta! We also eat pasta once or twice a week, between spaghetti and pasta salad, or macaroni salad, or "Red macaroni" its just elbow mac with tomato sauce, and butter with pepper.. I grew up on that, and ramen..I shop the deals as best as I can.. still learning the coupon bit.. I dont want a crap load of stuff I cant use. I want savings on my every day stuff. I did learn tha Kroger (if you have them or Smiths) has their ecoupons available to download online to your Plus card. With out those or the 10 for 10 they are way too expensive. I hate what Wally World has become, but they still have some good deals on simple staples...

Leave a comment:

• Omegaman
    Veteran Member

• Omegaman
    replied
    Heck I have a 5 yr old so we stock mini frozen pizzas because there are some days when between 2 jobs I just don't have the time to make fresh pizza. Now if the lady that has $4000 dollars worth of razors is selling them on ebay to make money that would make since, but It sure didn't look that way. This morning I purchased 60 box of name brand past because they were on sale for 50 cents per box, now that brings our pasta count well over 140 boxes. Now we eat pasta in some form twice a week so this is always being used and it provides a good long term food. A few weeks ago a market by use had a name brand jared pasta sauce on sale for 75 cents a jar down from $2.75 well I picked up 50 jars to add to 40 I had from the last sale. My family will go through 50 plus jars a year. The best part was because I also had 20 cases of water the cashier asked if I was expecting something, and with a smile I said " Why yes I am". She then asked what and I told her "for food prices to keep going up". Never tip your hand.

Leave a comment:

• Echo2
    The Ka-Tet of TK-421

• Echo2
    replied
    Originally posted by Omegaman View Post
    Ok I will be the bad guy on this one. Do you really need 100 bottles of yellow mustard for a family of 3?:confused: In theory I like what they do but like skyowl said my family does not eat a lot of frozen dinners or processed food and in our papers the coupons are almost always for foods that are not healthy or good for you. On most of the shows I have watched the people are way over weight and not in great shape but they did have coupons for 80 bottles of soda and 60 candy bars and 40 bags of chips. I think some of them have become obsessive compulsive about it and it has taken over their lives, the rush of saving $500. Now on the pro side, I do use coupons for thing that are shelf stable and foods that we do eat or products that we do use. Any way to save money on things you use is not a bad thing but I saw one lady buy 24 boxes of cereal that she said her son does not like but she had coupons for it. On another show one of the women’s sons’ friends said that he knew what house he was going to first when the zombie apocalypse comes. Now I did watch one show were the women was either a prepper or a Morman and she had it dialed in with stock rotation and products that were shelf stable and had trade value. Again I am not against coupon use but I think the show set a bad example and it troubles me thinking that a high percentage of their food stocks probably goes to waste through spoilage but it makes for good tv.
    I've never watched a whole episode....but we use coupons to get preps and things to cook meals with.....not heat up....as I would guess most folks here do.

We do keep a couple "quick and easy" meals...frozen usually....ready to go.....but even then....I like to make it ahead of time....and warm home made food.

but I have a big Stoffers Lasagna in there for when I'm responsible for dinner and don't want to cook....:)

ETA:....you got something against mustard?...:)

Leave a comment:

• Omegaman
    Veteran Member

• Omegaman
    replied
    Ok I will be the bad guy on this one. Do you really need 100 bottles of yellow mustard for a family of 3?:confused: In theory I like what they do but like skyowl said my family does not eat a lot of frozen dinners or processed food and in our papers the coupons are almost always for foods that are not healthy or good for you. On most of the shows I have watched the people are way over weight and not in great shape but they did have coupons for 80 bottles of soda and 60 candy bars and 40 bags of chips. I think some of them have become obsessive compulsive about it and it has taken over their lives, the rush of saving $500. Now on the pro side, I do use coupons for thing that are shelf stable and foods that we do eat or products that we do use. Any way to save money on things you use is not a bad thing but I saw one lady buy 24 boxes of cereal that she said her son does not like but she had coupons for it. On another show one of the women’s sons’ friends said that he knew what house he was going to first when the zombie apocalypse comes. Now I did watch one show were the women was either a prepper or a Morman and she had it dialed in with stock rotation and products that were shelf stable and had trade value. Again I am not against coupon use but I think the show set a bad example and it troubles me thinking that a high percentage of their food stocks probably goes to waste through spoilage but it makes for good tv.

Leave a comment:

• Echo2
    The Ka-Tet of TK-421

• Echo2
    replied
    We just get the neighbors paper on Wensdays....after they are done....one lady from church brings them also....

If they are especially good coupons.....buy a paper...it will pay you back....

I just hate to buy that liberial rag.....:(

Leave a comment:

• maric
    Veteran Member

• maric
    replied
    Ok, I admit it, I have been watching the show like crazy.. I dont get the paper, and when Monday rolls around well, I forget to go get the paper.. lol..
    Heres what I wonder, where do you think all the people in those towns are gonna flock to if the SHTF? You know their names, lay oftheir houses, whats in their pantrys, and basements.. lol.. Its like they want the recognition! I tell ya, if it were me- Id have my face blocked out, and a voice synthesizer like in the "mobs in hiding" shows... :) Good tips though.. Lord knows, we could all use a little financial break at the stores with the prices as high as they are.. Donations to the food banks and such are awesome- hat's off to the people that can pull of 3000.00 worth of goodies for under 30 bucks!!

Leave a comment:

• herbalpagan
    Veteran Member

• herbalpagan
    replied
    I watch that show and really love it! What I like best is seeing everyones stockpile! Some of those folks are real preppers (one even has #10 cans on a rotation rack), most learned to do this because they were broke. Some like it as a challange and give the extra to charities...one guy helped fill packages for military over seas.
    There are a ton of ways to get coupons for buying products at a discount. I hear people say "it takes a lot of time", but geez, you are getting free stuff so why shouldn't it take time and effort. It's a JOB, you have to work at it! If you don't want to work, then pay full price. Another thing that seems misleading is that these people are not doing this big huge shopping trips every week (for the most part)...they work at getting organized so they can do a "big one" once every 3-6 months. They do keep shopping and using coupons, but the show hauls are all planned out like and Army campaign.
    I sometimes do big coupon shopping, and I plan in advance, arrange everything and go...never getting 90-95% off my bill, but anything off is better than nothing! Best I've done is 75% off with a store that has a gas card and I got an additional $1.40 off my per gallon price at my next fill up...not bad for about 6 hours work.
    I have a friend who only coupons, she never pays full price for anything. She puts in about 8 hours per week minimum, never buys coupons, and regularly gets about $300 of free or next to free product every week or two. She lives in a small city, near a big city and has a ton of stores to access. I'm not so lucky, I live in a rural area with only 3 grocers and am at the mercy of what they offer. However, like I said 50% off is still darned good! Give it a try, it's an adrenaline rush if nothing else. lol

Leave a comment:

• maric
    Veteran Member

• maric
    replied
    Originally posted by troubled troubadour View Post
    Check ebay for coupons, you can get multiples of the same coupon for a few bucks. If you buy from the same dealer you can combine shipping. We spent about 15 bucks and got over 150 bucks worth of shelf stable foods.
    Thanks for the info!

Leave a comment:

• troubled troubadour
    Valued Member

• troubled troubadour
    replied
    Check ebay for coupons, you can get multiples of the same coupon for a few bucks. If you buy from the same dealer you can combine shipping. We spent about 15 bucks and got over 150 bucks worth of shelf stable foods.

Leave a comment:

• maric
    Veteran Member

• maric
    replied
    Originally posted by n.i.b. View Post
    Has anyone watched this show on TLC "extreme couponing"?
    My wife started watching one night and these people are prepping/ stockpiling foods and other goods for little to no money.
    I still find it hard to believe but they are getting $500 with of goods from everyday grocery stores for $15.
    Prepping for free, is it too good to be true? My wife and I are goimg to try.
    Check out this show!!!
    It is very possible to obtain THAT many items with coupons, however "couponing" takes many hours.. you have to watch the stores, and the deals, and who has what, and what days, and double coupons... etc.. some of the extreme coupon"ists" say they spend 15 plus hours a week doing so. Is it worth it, possibly... if you have the time, and the deals are right! But just cause something is a cheap discount, do we need it? DO we really need 30 tubes of toothpaste, or do we try to purchase items of greater need... its preference, but, I think cutting coupons can save a few bucks! I also do not get the weekly paper, due to... um, differences in opinions.. however, you can set up a "junk mail" email acct, and print coupons off online!

Leave a comment:

• Skyowl's Wife

• Skyowl's Wife
    replied
    Originally posted by Echo2 View Post
    I won't buy our AO liberial rag.
    That's why we quit taking the paper. Starve the beast!

Leave a comment:

• Echo2
    The Ka-Tet of TK-421

• Echo2
    replied
    we get the papaer from folks who don't use the coupons....I won't buy our AO liberial rag.

Leave a comment:

• PT945

• PT945
    replied
    Originally posted by Skyowl's Wife View Post
    I never got into coupons, because I tend to cook from scratch and the coupons I used to see were for prepared stuff or products we never used. We haven't taken a paper for about 10 years and I guess that has changed.

Be sure and share your tips and tricks as you discover them for us newbies!
    This is also one of my problems with coupons. Either I don't use it or even with the coupon it costs more than the store brand.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X